Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so help me out here. I'm making a clutch stop to put in my car.
I've seen more than a few threads and DIYs on this. I've got bolts, washers, and other assorted stuff. Here's the question:

All the DIYs and commercially available stops center around gluing/machining a large head on the bolt. Last night I played around with the bolt in the location of the factory stop. The clutch sits dead on the bolt head which is around 1/2 inch...why do I have to hassle with gluing a large, say 1", stopper on the end of the bolt? Seems like it will work fine with just the bolt.

PLUS, the bolt was $2.15. I've seen clutch stops as high as $30!
:yikes:

Haus

·
10,856 Posts
Among other things, the rubber stopper keeps you from chewing up your pedal...
The pedal also has a fair amount of side to side motion. The stopper makes absolutely certain that the pedal will not skip by the bolt and get stick or something.

:dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
The best and most elegant solution I've seen is to get an extender bolt to bolt the OEM clutch stop into, and then insert a nut and a washer on the extender, then insert that into the clutch stop (I think this is Raffi's setup). The whole thing probably won't cost you more than $2.00 at Home Depot.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
in_d_haus said:
Ok so help me out here. I'm making a clutch stop to put in my car.
I've seen more than a few threads and DIYs on this. I've got bolts, washers, and other assorted stuff. Here's the question:

All the DIYs and commercially available stops center around gluing/machining a large head on the bolt. Last night I played around with the bolt in the location of the factory stop. The clutch sits dead on the bolt head which is around 1/2 inch...why do I have to hassle with gluing a large, say 1", stopper on the end of the bolt? Seems like it will work fine with just the bolt.

PLUS, the bolt was $2.15. I've seen clutch stops as high as $30!
:yikes:

Haus
I went through the same thought process as you. I saw DYIs on how to build my own and went to the hardware store and scouted parts. But in the end I figured that dropping $20 for a UUC Big Boy was worth it. I knew it would "function" properly and wouldn't fall apart on me.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Dougs an ex-toolmaker, doubt his would fall apart.

Anyway, I emailed you about clutch stops some months ago, changed your mind on them doug?

Jury's still out here, as you said in your reply, you get used to the "sweet spot"...if you do put yours in, bring it over and let me try it out so I can decide.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
I used just the bolt head for a little bit, but if you weren't very precise about pushing the clutch straight down, the pedal would miss the bolt head and slide beside it.

I solved the problem by adding black rubber/plastic furniture leg caps onto the bolt head. I nested 3 of them inside each other... the smallest being a snug fit over the bolt head itself. This made the top over 1" in diameter

If I lived in the US I would have just bought the UUC one.... but I wanted it ASAP and my DIY one has been just fine. I never think about it unless I drive another E46 when I notice how much clutch travel there is in the stock setup.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who responded. I'm a former car mechanic/aircraft mechanic/ and toolmaker, I'm not too worried about my build quality.

RIP: I have trained my foot but want to play a bit and see how it is. It's an easy and cheap mod that will be simple to change back when I sell the car. I'll let ya take it for a spin!

Haus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts