BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How risky is getting a new clutch assembly replaced by BMW? After inspecting my clutch pedal "knot" as it went towards the floor, the dealer could not confirm or reproduce the symptom. He called the Tech Hotline and they referred him to TSB 12 01 01 as posted by Ben Chou in a previous post. Although it only specifies the repair for model year 2001 and earlier cars, the tech said they are extending the TSB to include more recent production runs because of complaints by owners.

I'm now scheduled for the replacement next week. I'm not sure if this problem really involves the actually clutch mechanism or is it a break in issue. The car only has 600 miles on it.

I would love to hear from people like Ben Chou, who have had this done or had symptoms like notchiness or a "knot" in the pedal travel. It gets better with driving and is actually completely gone at the moment.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, that TSB number is 21 01 01. Sorry.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a copy of SIB 21-01-01 in front of me, and it states that the clutch was replaced with an updated, improved design affective with March 2001 production. I take it that Techline told your dealer that they are extending it to include vehicles produced within this additional time window? I guess its just like the control arms, window regulators and everything else..... when they think they finally have it fixed, more people come out with problems.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since my car was produced 5/17/2002, I figured that I already have this new clutch design. I just can't figure out how a car with only 500-600 miles on it would need a new clutch.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
1,817 Posts
I'm not sure if this problem really involves the actually clutch mechanism or is it a break in issue.
Man, for MY sake, I hope it's a break-in issue. :eek:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the dealer said it's the entire clutch assembly, but I don;t think the hydraulics are involved, so the master cylinder would not be replaced.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
RChoudry said:
The car only has 600 miles on it.
You are WAY over-reacting...The car only has 600 miles on it.

It's just breaking-in...

·
10,856 Posts
Hack is right. Wait 15K. :D

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Since the dealer already has it on record that they are ready to order a new clutch for you, the problem of having the dealer acknowledge the problem is already taken care of . . . so with a clear head you now know that whenever you feel like taking it in, the dealer will fix it for you.

With that said, I would not change anything yet, tell the dealer you will let them know when you will bring it in but for now you want to give it some more time before making any changes.

I would wait until you have at least 2000-3000 miles on it before deciding what to do because there is a very good chance this will go away on it's own. Meanwhile, it's not like you can't drive the car and the likelyhood of getting stranded because of it is extremely slim.

STOP stressing over this little annoyance and start to enjoy your car . . . the stress that you are feeling is the exact reason why you traded in your old one.

Stop looking at this little problem and start to look at the whole picture . . . You've got a 2002 330Ci . . . enjoy it !!!

·
2,457 Posts
RChoudry,

My clutch problem went away with the replacement of the failed Slave Cylinder. I just did my 1st auto-x yesterday in the new car. I figured it'd be a great way to break the new clutch in. :D

I think it's too weird though that both of us were produced ont he same day, and had the exact same (sounding anyway) clutch pedal variable pressure issue.

As I previously said though, mine was a by-product of the slave cylinder failing. Now that they've replaced that part, it seems fine.

I wonder if it may have to do that they bled to hydrolic lines as well. Wouldn't a contaminated fluid or air in the line cause this exact feeling that both RChoudry and I witnessed?

RChoudry, was your car prduced in the Munich plant as well? I would be way too coincidental if you were built on the same day, have the same drivetrain, at the same factory, and have the same problem.... Hmmm.

·
2,457 Posts
... Oh, as other have said here, I wouldn't have the whole shebang replaced. That seems like way overkill. But, because of the problem I had, and our car's similarities, I'd certainly still get it looked at, and mention my issue to the tech person. I can hook you up w/specifics, if you need it. You can email me though my profile if you want.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Larry, there was no pressure variance when depressing the clutch. I've had that on another car where the slave cylinder needed to be replaced. this problem is more similar to what Ben Chou and others have reported.

I really agree with Hack and Alan that it will go away on its own and I don't want BMW to screw up this one by dismantling the car.

Like clockwwork, it's there when you first start up in the morning and disappears within 5-6 miles of driving.

I think I'm gonna wait another 1000 miles before doing anything about it.

Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
R-

As others have said, put some miles on the car and see what happens. I know have 20K on, and have experienced some interesting behavior from the clutch. I believe it does take 15K for the clutch to settle in because the feel of mine has not changed since. Doesn't mean that the clutch doesn't cause worries though. If there is an achilles heel to these cars, it's the clutch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Rchoudry.

I had the clutch assembly replaced on my car about two and half weeks ago. I have not had any problems. The clutch action is now smooth and notch free. I had about 14000 miles on the cars when it was done. I don't forsee having anymore problems. If I do, I will have the dealer remedy it. I think what the consensus has been saying might be good advice. Let the car break in until 1500 miles or so, then if it doesn't go away, let the dealer replace your clutch assembly.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Same build date but no problems with my clutch- but I'll keep an eye on it.

I'd wait as long as possible to see if it goes away.
Just think, when your car has 30k miles on it you could say:

1. Had the clutch replaced at 700 miles so now it's an old clutch.
2. Had the clutch replaced at 20k miles so now it has only 10k miles on it.

I guess it depends on how long you are going to keep the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts