1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there folks

i'm only new on here...and i nees a little advice

i've got a 1991 318i(e-36) and went out this morning and had no clutch :cry:

r these a fluid clutch as i can reall y get a good look 2 see....because of where its parked....and i've also got my arm in a cast ...so my movement is limited unfortunatly

if it is a fluid clutch....where is the resivior for filling the fluid??

and if the problems wot i suspect(slave cylinder) can u buy a seal/repair kit for it

or how much is a new 1

thanx

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
Does the pedal just go down or is it normal and the clutch just doesn't work?

Seems a bit odd for it just to go out of the blue, maybe a broken cable or bolt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the pedal is still going up and down......but theres no pressure/tollerance if you know what i mean

if it woz a cable .....the clutch would likely just go 2 the floor ....

thats why i thought that it might b a fluid job....only at a quick look i couldnt see a fluid reservior 2 check if it had been leaking fluid or wotever

as i said....i'm abit limited 2 wot i can do/see at the minute because my arms in plaster

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
well what i would do is have someone climb under the car and undo the fill plug and stick their finger in the hole and see if they feel any fluid if you cant feel any undo the drain plug a little bit and see if any drains out and that will tell you if you have fluid or not. Also how has the clutch been working the day before? it can be a number of things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the clutch woz workin perfect...........no problems at all

the car had been sitting for arround 5 days just......

where is the reservior 2 fill the fluid???

because most cars are up near the bulkhead (where the brake master cylinder is)only i couldnt see it earlier when i looked

at least i've established that its a fluid set up that the car runs......

i'd say its the slave cylinder thats been leaking...

is there a seal/repair kit available for this.....if thats the case

thanx

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
you need to climb under the car go to the tranny and there is a plug on the driverside top to fill and a plug on the bottom same side

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bimrpwr said:
you need to climb under the car go to the tranny and there is a plug on the driverside top to fill and a plug on the bottom same side
surely thats an automatic transmission you are referring to....

mine is a 5 speed manual

·
Run Far
367 Posts
Your clutch and brakes share the same reservoir; the container is seperated into 2 compartments inside it. Yes, it's the one by the brake master cylinder. If it's the clutch slave cylinder, you may or may not see fluid on the ground. If it's leaking out on the piston rod side, the fluid drains into the clutch housing. You can't repair the cylinder, you have to replace it. The part costs about $60 US, don't know what it would cost in Europe. Another area where they tend to leak is the fluid hose going from the clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder, you may want to check there as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.