Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to the forums just got my self a e91 2007 320d 163bhp I believe

Just checking it over and there’s a couple of faults if anyone has any insight on

46d1 control unit internal 4

3edd variant coding

Car seems to start and drive fine and cant see much info on the net

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,841 Posts
... just got my self a e91 2007 320d
Just checking it over and there’s a couple of faults if anyone has any insight on
46d1 control unit internal 4
3edd variant coding
Car seems to start and drive fine and cant see much info on the net...
Welcome to the Forum!

If the vehicle operates without any performance issues, then I presume you were primarily scanning a "new-to-you" vehicle for any hidden issues, and there are NO Warning Lights on the Instrument Cluster? If you have INPA, you can learn a LOT about a vehicle's history, such as Hardware part #s of the ~ 20 Electronic Control Modules; WHEN & HOW they were programmed and the software number; Fault Memory History in the DME/DDE & a few other Modules.

The FIRST things I would want to know about those faults can be found in the "Freeze Frame Data" and "Fault Details": Is either Fault "Currently Present" (Fehler momentan vorhanden) or NOT (Nicht)? At what mileage/ km was the fault saved? Would the fault cause a warning lamp to light, or NOT (Kein)? (Fehler wuerde das Aufleuchten der Warnlampe (MIL) verursachen). INPA > DDE > F4 Fault Memory > F3 (?) Fault Memory with FF Data would provide that information.

I don't know anything about Diesel Models, but my SWAG from the Code Definitions is that someone MAY have flashed the DDE at some time since the vehicle left the Factory, and perhaps used the incorrect Software Update for that Module, resulting in a Module that generally controls the engine in a reasonable fashion, but MAY have a few "hiccups".

When I bought my 2007 E91 328xi at 10-years-old, the "Carfax" report showed that the DME software was "Updated" on 4/10/2009. When I used INPA to read DME Screens, I found the confirmation of Software Update on that date "10.04.2009" in INPA > DME > F3 User Information Field (AIF). ScreenPrint of that INPA screen is attached.

The INPA "Paths" or Menu selection sequence that I list is correct for my 2007 328xi with MSV80 DME. Your Menus for your DDE would be expected to VARY, but the SAME type of information should be there SOMEWHERE. For a DDE, simply connect to DDE type for YOUR vehicle, view the Main Menu, and select the choice for AIF, Fault Memory, etc.

"Memory History" (HistorySpeicher) can give some clues about how the vehicle was maintained in the past, what Faults occurred at what mileage, and how many times (Last 10 Fault Codes saved in DME & up to 3 different fault occurrences). The first page of my Memory History is attached to give you an idea of what information is shown.

So I would simply save screenprint of INPA Screens showing fault codes, FF Data, and Fault Details for those two codes, and then CLEAR them and see if they return. If you have/ get INPA and are able to save screenprints as jpg-format files, please attach them here so we can all learn something. If you need help with INPA or other Diagnostic Software, please let us know.

George

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will get it seems a usefull thing to have will post what turns up on it

Hopefully it***8217;s nothing major runs fine to me just want it to be right though thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts