BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 323i with 254,000 miles. Getting code p0442 and cant figure it out. I replaced the gas cap erased the codes but it still came back. I also notice, and have for a while, a burning smell (smells like burned plastic or an electrical item burning) in the passenger compartment and perhaps more heavy in the trunk. I don't think anything is burning, because nothing has caught fire or blew up for months, but wonder if the smell can be related to the Charcoal Canister or the evap leak the P0442 code relates to.

Any ideas on if the smell could be related and what to do next? Help is appreciated. I need to pass inspection soon (NY).

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
As for the battery, google "BMW E46 hidden obc functions." Test #9 will show you the voltages as seen by the engine computer. At idle the voltage should be about 13VDC. At 2000 rpm the voltage should be above 14VDC.

P0442 says that the evap system has noted a small leak. Yes, the gas cap is the usual culprit, but not the only possible culprit. It could be rubber hose that's gone bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.