Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 740IL just turned 100K miles. No problems ever until I replaced the xenon headlight assemblies with aftermarket ones. Someone had broke the factory originals.
As soon as I was done took car for a drive and it went into limp mode with transmission failsafe on the dash.
The codes come back saying P0715 for output speed sensor and P0705 for Transmission range sensor.
I disconnected battery to reset and when I start driving the car the in drive I hear a noise and it jumps into 4th gear. I drove car for 100 miles or more while in 4th gear with no other issues.
Car sits for an hour and I start it, I see the P on dash lit up until I move forward in drive when I hear a noise like slipping out of low gear into 4th gear. The square light on dash that shows what gear I have selected goes out when it goes into limp, mode.
It drives at 60 or 70mph with ease just 1000 more RPM. Of course it also starts out in 4th gear too.
Could it be a coincidence I replaced headlight assemblies at the same time the sensors or sensor goes bad?
Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,813 Posts
Do the lights work correctly? No check control messages? Unless they are pulling a ton of amps I'd say this is a coincidence.

The first thing to check is your voltage, then make sure the codes are cleared (disconnecting does not do this). Also check the harness/connections around the trans, being loose or water intrusion are common here.
If the TFS comes back search through posts by oldroller and pirana100 for some more diagnostic/repair info.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lights work good.
I have had other 740il go into limp mode before but this is the first time I can hear it happening.
I cleaned out the fault codes and took car for another drive. If I let car move while idling the indicator light stays on but as soon as I give it some gas I hear a clunk and light goes out and trans goes into 4th gear and stays.
I am positive it is not the tranny itself as it drives great at highways speeds in 4th gear. I will have it diagnosed at a repair facility.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts