1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.
I live in Palm Springs
I have an X5 e53 2006.
I wonder if anyone around here would be able to scan a DSC light that has been on for a while now?
Please let me know. My phone is 760-4456807

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
First I would EDIT out your phone number!
Autozone will not be able to scan for anything other than Emissions related codes, if that! You need to get the correct scanner/software online or visit an indy/dealer who will have the right equipment.

·
Registered
54 Posts
First I would EDIT out your phone number!
Autozone will not be able to scan for anything other than Emissions related codes, if that! You need to get the correct scanner/software online or visit an indy/dealer who will have the right equipment.
huh

a scanner scans the entire car. no special scanner is needed for our trucks. i've been using a generic scanner with zero issues.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
huh

a scanner scans the entire car. no special scanner is needed for our trucks. i've been using a generic scanner with zero issues.
So this generic scanner reads fault codes in the DSC, Auto transmission, ABS, Cluster Memory etc?
Makes me wonder why people would pay for the likes of this PA Soft Scanner Software?

http://bmw-scanner.com/?page=bmw-scanner_v140&lang=eng

A $30 Generic OBD II scanner will not read BMW module fault codes or reset them. It will read the standard OBD II fault codes relating to emissions equipment NOT anything else.

·
Registered
833 Posts
So this generic scanner reads fault codes in the DSC, Auto transmission, ABS, Cluster Memory etc?
Makes me wonder why people would pay for the likes of this PA Soft Scanner Software?

http://bmw-scanner.com/?page=bmw-scanner_v140&lang=eng

A $30 Generic OBD II scanner will not read BMW module fault codes or reset them. It will read the standard OBD II fault codes relating to emissions equipment NOT anything else.
zulu95 is right. I started with a generic scanner. Doesn't read anything but emissions stuff. Had to buy a BMW specific scanner. Only $73. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wrong forum delete this. Hi everybody, I'm new. I have my dad's 2001 BMW X5-3.0i and I am happy with the new car. But it has the sport suspension and the ride is too rough for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies.
Not sure how to edit my post?
I own a wireless scanner that wifi's to my iPhone, but it doesn't scan DSC either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wrong forum delete this. Hi everybody, I'm new. I have my dad's 2001 BMW X5-3.0i and I am happy with the new car. But it has the sport suspension and the ride is too rough for me.
My wife said the same thing on our X5. What I did was decrease rim size and then put a tire that has a bit more "balloon" to it. She enjoys it much more. The handling hasn't been affected to much. You can feel a slight difference when going fast into a corner. It it was easy to get used to.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,375 Posts
... Not sure how to edit my post?....
You can edit your posts by 1st, signing in...then click on the EDIT button located on the lower right of your thread (it's right next to the QUOTE button). You will only see the edit button on your own posts...not other's.

Now that you know...scroll back up to the 1st post in this thread you created...click the EDIT button...then delete your phone nbr you typed in the message box...then SAVE your changes. :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
zulu95 is right. I started with a generic scanner. Doesn't read anything but emissions stuff. Had to buy a BMW specific scanner. Only $73. Well worth the money.
To many Cliff Klaven posting bad info as usual. OBD II scanner only scans emission related PIDs. To read the PIDs for modules like DSC, ABS, LKM, AC, SRS, etc you need a scanner that is specific to BMW or a $10,000 Snap On Verus Pro.

·
Registered
661 Posts
huh

:thumbdwn:

Next time you have an ABS light on or a DSC light on or SRS light on see what your generic scanner come up with. :rofl:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Federal mandatory standards

All manufacturers must use federal mandated OBD Ii standard. That standard even requires that the OBD II port be on the left of steering colum. Their is no standard for manufacture codes. Gennirc reader does fine with standard codes will not read manufacture codes

·
Registered
212 Posts
auto zones scanner is basically useless for are vehicles... trust me ive tried. does anyone have a link for a tool that can "do it all" and is reasonably priced?

as i am currently in "transport mode" i believe the capabilty of resetting my gm3 would be nice aswell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts