Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just read this on a different forum...

"I've also read that coding etc is not traceable by the dealer as long as it's returned back to factory values before servicing etc. Again not true according to service guy. The BMW code stack is checksummed at the factory and after each service, and although they couldn't necessarily tell *which* values had been modified, they can definitely see that *some* have (because the checksum is different) - and this will most definitely invalidate drivetrain warranty repairs, and probably the insurance as well (at least in NL).

I thought maybe valuable to post here as it's contrary to a number of posts I've read."

I'm a bit concerned now in case I've invalidated my warranty, on a new car. Anyone know if it's true?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi, I just read this on a different forum...

"I've also read that coding etc is not traceable by the dealer as long as it's returned back to factory values before servicing etc. Again not true according to service guy. The BMW code stack is checksummed at the factory and after each service, and although they couldn't necessarily tell *which* values had been modified, they can definitely see that *some* have (because the checksum is different) - and this will most definitely invalidate drivetrain warranty repairs, and probably the insurance as well (at least in NL).

I thought maybe valuable to post here as it's contrary to a number of posts I've read."

I'm a bit concerned now in case I've invalidated my warranty, on a new car. Anyone know if it's true?
Well, I have had a lot of retrofits/coding done on my car, which still has warranty for another month or so, and also had dealer perform IStep updates and so on, on it. I have never heard anything about it. The dealer cannot see anything, but off course, if at some point you code the 2TB sportstransmission on a car without Sports Transmission, and they find out, and your transmission dies under warranty, I bet BMW germany will do whatever they can to get out of paying for it.

But..... This is just my speculations, and only based on IF they find out, AND they actually care.

So... I guess this is up for question, but I have not heard/read anyone actually have had a warranty issue denied based on coding yet.

/Weebyx

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I guess that's reassuring, thanks. Hope I never have to test it out though just in case.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I always figured the clearest tip-off to a dealer would be the lack of legal warnings when they start the car, put it in reverse (camera warning). But have never had a problem with BMW or extended warranty on my coded car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK that's good. Although they could be a bit more "pedantic" in UK?
Have you ever had to make a major claim on the warranty since coding the car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts