BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... or, what I did to my BMW today.

Just thought I would pass along my successes today. First, I preformed my first code job today. Boy was I nervous! But I had to do something. That dang seat belt chime was driving me crazy. I thought our old Honda Accord was bad, but nothing compared to the BMW. I truly do not understand why auto makers simply don't program their seat belt warnings to kick in after say 15 to 20 mph. What is wrong with driving through a parking lot with no seat belt on? I always wear my seat belt on the road, but when I pull through a big parking lot or in the driveway of my house or through the very large parking/loading area at my job, I like to remove the belt... but OMG at the annoying chiming. Well, I got rid of that today with my first coding job and now that I am flushed with success, I've got a list of more things I want to change. :D

Secondly, I wanted to pass along this little bit of information. I know some of you are not quite happy with the seats in your BMW... well, neither was I. The wife and I made about a 1 hour and 15 minute drive yesterday and the whole time I was squirming around trying to get comfortable without much success. I narrowed the problem down to this... the seat bottom sits too flat. Feels like I am going to slide under the steering wheel. I mean, I had on a pair of shorts yesterday, and the seat kept letting me slide forward causing my shorts and underwear to bunch up around my business... :confused:. My old Dodge truck and the Honda we sold had more comfortable seats in them than that! So, I fixed that too. Simple... just removed the two front seat bolts and loosened the back two and installed 5 washers (about 3/8") under the two front bolts and man, gotta tell ya... seems to have made a world of difference. Still plenty of bolt thread to screw in to make you feel OK about the mod. I only drove the car a couple of miles after this mod, but looking forward to a longer trip to see if it is a "cure-all". :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,769 Posts
OK. Have you tried the bottom cushion tilt adjuster though? The horizontal control, front end of the lever only. If you use the back end, it is the control to raise/lower the complete seat without tilting the bottom cushion itself. Lift the front edge of that control to tilt the front of the bottom seat cushion upward.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Have you tried the bottom cushion tilt adjuster though? The horizontal control, front end of the lever only. If you use the back end, it is the control to raise/lower the complete seat without tilting the bottom cushion itself. Lift the front edge of that control to tilt the front of the bottom seat cushion upward.
Yeah, I think I know which one you are talking about. It just lifts the part of the seat under your thighs right? I call myself pushing and pulling every button on the seat. What I wanted was a button that tilted the entire seat front and back... like my old Dodge truck. Thanks for the input though...

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,769 Posts
Yeah, I think I know which one you are talking about. It just lifts the part of the seat under your thighs right? I call myself pushing and pulling every button on the seat. What I wanted was a button that tilted the entire seat front and back... like my old Dodge truck. Thanks for the input though...
Interestingly enough, I've never owned a "foreign" car which has adjustments similar to the original American "6-way power seat". That is, a tilt control as you describe, where the whole seat is tilted up or down, as a unit, as it were. They all seem to just tilt the bottom cushion. This includes Acura, Inifiniti, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. I can't quite figure that out. There is a definite difference in tilting the whole seat vs. just the bottom cushion. Yes, you can do something similar, but you need to work various controls, such as that bottom cushion adjustment, back seat rest recline, and overall seat height adjustment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interestingly enough, I've never owned a "foreign" car which has adjustments similar to the original American "6-way power seat". That is, a tilt control as you describe, where the whole seat is tilted up or down, as a unit, as it were. They all seem to just tilt the bottom cushion. This includes Acura, Inifiniti, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. I can't quite figure that out. There is a definite difference in tilting the whole seat vs. just the bottom cushion. Yes, you can do something similar, but you need to work various controls, such as that bottom cushion adjustment, back seat rest recline, and overall seat height adjustment.
Yeah, just felt like I needed the whole seat to rock back a few degrees... I'm telling you man, I really think the five washers are gonna do the trick! I'll give y'all some feedback after I've done a significant drive in it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts