BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to give up.. I am trying literally everything to get my car (F20) coded on my MacBook Pro Retina, but I am not succeeding.

I tried it already with VirtualBox, Parallels 9 and VMware using Windows 7 and also tried Windows XP, but it just does not connect with the car. Not with E-Sys 3.18.4 nor 3.23.4

I am using a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina with a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter. Everything gets installed correctly. The car connects to the laptop correctly, at least I think so..
It get's an ip adres starting with 169.

The steps I am taking:
1) Connect Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter to the rMBP
2) Installing VMware with Windows 7
3) Configuring the bridge in VMware like this:

4) Install E-Sys, PSdZData, EDIABAS, etc..
5) Turning firewalls off in virtual desktop
6) Turning car on in acc. mode
7) Connecting ENET cable to Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter and waiting a couple of minutes
8) Starting E-Sys, trying to connect, but no succes......

In every way the ZGW box stays blank and the VIN option stays greyed out.

It could be the ENET cable, but I coded with it already on a Windows 7 laptop with no errors at all.

To the guys who are coding with VMware, especially with a MacBook and Thunderbolt adapter,
How did you do it? Is this the same way as you did?

Did I miss a step? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance! Appreciating this forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Parallels successfully for years. Don't mess with bridge or network settings in either OS, you need to set the virtual machine to bridge the ethernet. Should be in the settings even with VM.
Oke, I didn't, I only selected "Thunderbolt Ethernet" under Bridged Networking in the VMware configuration (see first pic). That is oke, right?

What else could be wrong...

·
BMW CCA # 473594
101 Posts
I don't use VMWare for this, but VirtualBox, which is free. I do know that it works just fine.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I code with a VMWare Fusion VM of Vista on my MacBook Air with a USB-Ethernet adapter. I had problem using ZGW initially because it complained about a DLL. After i registered the DLL as an administrator, i got ZGW to work. If ZGW is blank, then E-Sys is not going to work. What's the version of your VMware Fusion?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't use VMWare for this, but VirtualBox, which is free. I do know that it works just fine.
I tried it the first time with VirtualBox, but it looked like it was difficult to configure the bridging. What is your configuration? Could you maybe post a screenshot?
And are you using the Thunderbolt or USB adapter?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I code with a VMWare Fusion VM of Vista on my MacBook Air with a USB-Ethernet adapter. I had problem using ZGW initially because it complained about a DLL. After i registered the DLL as an administrator, i got ZGW to work. If ZGW is blank, then E-Sys is not going to work. What's the version of your VMware Fusion?
Yes, the problem is, whatever I am doing, ZGW stays blank. So, E-Sys doesn't work either.

I am using at the moment VMware Fusion 6.0.1 with Windows XP and 7.

·
BMW CCA # 473594
101 Posts
I have a mid-2010 macbook pro, so it has a real ethernet port. Bridging the interface is really simple in the VirtualBox config.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a mid-2010 macbook pro, so it has a real ethernet port. Bridging the interface is really simple in the VirtualBox config.
Thanks! I think I did the same with the Thunderbolt adapter.. I really don't understand why it doesn't work for me.. I am out of inspiration.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried it even with another Mac, still no succes. On a Windows laptop it always used to work.

My cable was pretty long (±10 meters), so I tried to make it shorter (2m.), and now it connects right away!
Learned something!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am about to give up.. I am trying literally everything to get my car (F20) coded on my MacBook Pro Retina, but I am not succeeding.
............. ..................

Thanks in advance! Appreciating this forum!
I was having similar issues, but what worked for me was the following.

- Switch off WiFi on your Mac
- Shutdown (not Suspend) Parallels if running
- Shutdown Mac
- Connect Ethernet Cable to Car
- Turn Car Ignition ON
- Connect Ethernet cable to Mac
- Restart Mac
- Wait for a while allowing the Mac to acquire a Mac address
- Open Terminal (in Mac)
- Clear the DNS cache (Run commands
a) dscacheutil -flushcache
b) killall -HUP mDNSResponder
- Close Terminal
- Check that your Mac has acquired an IP Address 169.xx.xx.xx
- Launch Parallels
- Wait a while for Parallels to acquire an IP address
- If Windows does not acquire an IP address, run troubleshoot Network- this usually resets the network adaptor or you could type 'ipconfig/ renew in a command window
- The network icon in the right hand bottom corner will likely display an exclamation mark (and probably say that internet connection is unavailable), this is OK.
- Run E-Sys and it should work...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts