Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys can someone point me in the right direction for help on what to buy for programming my 2007 328xi. I didnt see anything on the carly pro. or is bimmergeeks pro cable better. I'm looking to do simple things like activate windows and batteries and other problems

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
Carly is very good for BMW Specific non standard PID monitoring and logging. It is "ok" for coding - limited, but simple parameter driven. It's pricey now that they have gone to an annual subscription since March 19, 2018. You really need their GEN2 adapter (around $80) and the annual fee is about $60.

NCS Expert has a steeper learning curve, no GUI but can do almost any coding. It is a component of a suite called BMW Standard Tools that includes INPA for diagnosis. The software is free and the cable cost about $20 on eBay or Amazon.

ISTA-D is also free (pirated) - it is a fairly decent simple to use tool for diagnosis - it doesn't code.

If you're gonna get into in-depth sw management (i.e. module sw updating, tuning) you would opt for BMW standard tools which also includes WinKFP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. How about a bimmergeek pro cable to use with the ncs expert. just so u know I'm by far a computer expert but can work my way through them when needed. Thanks again for helping. And just so u know what I want to do with this coding tool is be able to activate my modules when I change a part. Right now I have a pretty big issue with my driver door window/lock control. It basically does not work any of the windows or locks or folding mirrors. My wife tried cleaning the car with a liquid spray and shorted the control out as soon as we started the car!!! Shes not too bright! Lol. I replaced it with a used one from the junk yard and worked kind of for a couple hours and then nothing again so I bought another one from same place and still nothing. So I'm guessing it needs to be iniated or something. Let me know if u or someone else on here have ever heard of a problem like this. Any info would b great! Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys can someone point me in the right direction for help on what to buy for programming my 2007 328xi. I didnt see anything on the carly pro. or is bimmergeeks pro cable better. I'm looking to do simple things like activate windows and batteries and other problems
I have the same exact car you can get the k dcan cable ....then get carly for bmw and you can also use ista-d

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
879 Posts
thanks for the info. How about a bimmergeek pro cable to use with the ncs expert. just so u know I'm by far a computer expert but can work my way through them when needed. Thanks again for helping. And just so u know what I want to do with this coding tool is be able to activate my modules when I change a part. Right now I have a pretty big issue with my driver door window/lock control. It basically does not work any of the windows or locks or folding mirrors. My wife tried cleaning the car with a liquid spray and shorted the control out as soon as we started the car!!! Shes not too bright! Lol. I replaced it with a used one from the junk yard and worked kind of for a couple hours and then nothing again so I bought another one from same place and still nothing. So I'm guessing it needs to be iniated or something. Let me know if u or someone else on here have ever heard of a problem like this. Any info would b great! Thanks
Ok for replacing control modules Carly will be of no use. You will need to use NCS Expert (part of BMW Standard Tools - found here) You probably want to get the $20 K+DCAN cable (Amazon or eBay) and download the (pirated) copy of BMW Standard Tools. You can install ISTA-D over this version as it uses the same vehicle communications component (EDIABAS).

Do yourself a favor. Pick up an old XP or Win 7 laptop (less than $100 typically) and once you get the BMW software installed and setup on that - just leave it (don't mess with system files and turn off any Windows auto updates - just use it as a diagnostic tool). I see more issue with folks who use the same laptop for all kinds of things and mess with the config that was originally working fine.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Go to bimmergeeks.net there Pro tool is similar to Carly but I think its better as
they are always adding to it.
The cable with the downloads for a PC is way more capable of doing anything
with the Inpa Suite and Ista D.
For diagnostics and repair Ista D is like have a shop manual with guided troubleshooting.
The downloads for these to are free you can go most of the way to setting these up
without the cable however you do need it plugged in to set up the final interface settings.
You need a large hard drive for Ista d it takes up 20 to 50 gigs of space because its
sophisticated.

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...istad_en.pdf&usg=AOvVaw07T_NaCfxo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...r-manual.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0lXHagfk7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2324032-What-can-ISTA-P-actually-do

Pro Tool thread

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525937

·
Registered
905 Posts
By all means get the BimmerGeeks cable and the software they offer. Stay away from Ebay crap and buy quality from the start. A bad cable can leave your car useless.

As for software I use NCSexper and NCSdummy. Once you start diving into coding, you'll be amazed at what you can get your car to do. For example I have the National Weather Service enabled on my radio and my adaptive headlights swivel both right AND left.

Here's a coding forum to check out.

·
879 Posts
By all means get the BimmerGeeks cable and the software they offer. Stay away from Ebay crap and buy quality from the start. A bad cable can leave your car useless.
[/URL]
Geez I wonder where the Bimmergeeks source their cable? Mind you their sticker is unique to them.

·
RLTW
564 Posts
Geez I wonder where the Bimmergeeks source their cable? Mind you their sticker is unique to them.

Looks can be deceiving. I used the $100 One Stop Electronics cable for years when 99% of the cables out there were complete garbage. It wasn't particularly fast but it consistently worked on K and D cars. The BG cable will flash a module about 40% faster than that Amazon cable. I've used it on every module that's not on the MOST and it's always significantly faster. For coding, that doesn't matter much but for flashing it's nice to speed up the process.

I help a lot of people remotely with coding, flashing, software setup, etc. and 99 times out of a 100 if there's a communication issue it's because of a cheap cable. It's just hit or miss with them from my experience. They have great customer service and a guarantee, worth the extra $20 IMHO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW! Thanks for all of ur help! Anyone ever heard of an issue like I'm having with the window control panel? I'm taking all of ur advices and getting myself a pro cable and a dedicated laptop per ur suggestions. thanks again. Any input on my window issue would be welcomed

·
Registered
75 Posts
Guys, I am new to BMW also. Just to confirm. Go to Bimmergeeks and purchase the K+DCan cable and download the program that is free but I need to have a laptop?

07 328i
07 328xi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts