BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of feeling pleased with myself right now! I needed some help with a wheel insurance claim for my track wheels and the tire shop I use did a lot of help trying to get the claim worked through. As a thank you I dropped by the next day with a box of joe and donuts. Today, I am getting my winter tires swapped and the desk guy signs me up for ~67 bucks instead of 110 got the switch! Small beans but still sweet!

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
It surely does; not enough people do the extra for the service-oriented and it makes a difference in how you're treated.

·
Don't Judge Me!
4,429 Posts
Coffee and Donuts huh.. Was he an ex-cop?

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
I do provide things like donuts, coffee, holiday gifts, etc. But sometimes it feels like I am doing it to get bare minimum service. In the end ALL jobs are service related. Be it you give service to a client or you give service to your boss - you are doing something for someone. I always give exemplary service in my line of work, and I do so to keep my job. I give gifts as rewards for good service, not as a bribe. I give my personal trainer a holiday gift because I like his work. I give my BMW service person a holiday gift because I like his work. If they sucked they not only wouldn't get gifts from me but I would not work with them.

Again, i don't mind giving gifts for good service, however, I don't like giving it as a bribe or to get service I should be getting anyhow

·
The Real Housewife
476 Posts
Nice one M! See what simple donuts and coffee can do for you!

Furbs, so if i lady smiles and say please is it considered a bribe too??

·
Registered
753 Posts
Are you having tires dismounted and mounted or just swapping wheels/tires?

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you having tires dismounted and mounted or just swapping wheels/tires?
I swapped rubber on the OEM rims. Normally, it is 25/corner from a local Goodyear place. I will get alignment check later this week and I am good to go.

This is the last year of this. Next winter, I will have a dedicated set-up and get the rims to fit the best tires, rather than the other way around. I can swap wheels at home.

More fun though...my 10" track rims/tires arrive this week! woot, woot!

·
Insert T I T L E here
1,970 Posts
I do provide things like donuts, coffee, holiday gifts, etc. But sometimes it feels like I am doing it to get bare minimum service. In the end ALL jobs are service related. Be it you give service to a client or you give service to your boss - you are doing something for someone. I always give exemplary service in my line of work, and I do so to keep my job. I give gifts as rewards for good service, not as a bribe. I give my personal trainer a holiday gift because I like his work. I give my BMW service person a holiday gift because I like his work. If they sucked they not only wouldn't get gifts from me but I would not work with them.

Again, i don't mind giving gifts for good service, however, I don't like giving it as a bribe or to get service I should be getting anyhow
+1. My job is the ultimate service industry too. I would feel awful if a patient thought he had to do something for me to get "extra" service, and I would be a bit offended if he thought bringing me a gift would make me do something different or treat them "better." Granted I am paid relatively well and we have strict professional standards, but the transparency of this and general principles should be preserved across many professions and even other service industries. I would never accept anything worth over a couple tens of dollars or so. Charge more if you need, don't have low prices and expect additional stuff.

While there can certainly be good intentions with this sort of thing it can also devolve into simple bribes, or where everybody who _doesn't_ bring donuts gets inferior service.

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1. My job is the ultimate service industry too. I would feel awful if a patient thought he had to do something for me to get "extra" service, and I would be a bit offended if he thought bringing me a gift would make me do something different or treat them "better." Granted I am paid relatively well and we have strict professional standards, but the transparency of this and general principles should be preserved across many professions and even other service industries. I would never accept anything worth over a couple tens of dollars or so. Charge more if you need, don't have low prices and expect additional stuff.

While there can certainly be good intentions with this sort of thing it can also devolve into simple bribes, or where everybody who _doesn't_ bring donuts gets inferior service.
So it is okay to tip your cardiologist $2 after open heart surgery, but a $20 is too much?:dunno:

The donuts were a recognition for doing something "extra" that they could have said they were too busy to do. A service I am paying for, the reward is good manners and a signed photograph for the wall.:angel:

·
Insert T I T L E here
1,970 Posts
So it is okay to tip your cardiologist $2 after open heart surgery, but a $20 is too much?:dunno:

The donuts were a recognition for doing something "extra" that they could have said they were too busy to do. A service I am paying for, the reward is good manners and a signed photograph for the wall.:angel:
Well, yes, that is essentially correct. The idea is that it should be a token of appreciation, just that, a mere token, nothing substantial at all. I wouldn't want or accept a lot, especially material things. It is just that, a token, and totally unnecessary. A nice smile and thank you is all that is needed. If unable to smile, just keeping your blood pressure in the normal range is enough. ;)

Seriously though, I don't fault you or anything, so don't become defensive, I just really wanted to note that these things have a way of becoming "expected" (look at a few of the other threads we have had about this issue) and becomes like the Mexican police, where instead of professionalism you have an expectation of doing little things to keep people happy. At best it is extremely inefficient. At worst it becomes extremely annoying (as Furball noted too.)

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I bring a dozen donuts to my service adviser each time my car goes in for service. It costs me $8, but it pays off so much more.

I always have loaner cars (even last-minute notice), misc. fees are always waived and they are (were) cool about my JB upgrade. ;)

- Mike

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bring a dozen donuts to my service adviser each time my car goes in for service. It costs me $8, but it pays off so much more.

I always have loaner cars (even last-minute notice), misc. fees are always waived and they are (were) cool about my JB upgrade. ;)

- Mike
And because of those donuts, the SA has a higher probability of visiting someone like Naepolatin and giving cardiologists more work.

The circle of life...

Meanwhile, the rest of get sh!tty torque values on our oil pans, filter caps and lug nuts because they spend extra time on Brett Carvre's (Emission) ride due to him thinking he is a big shot with a dozen donuts...

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
And because of those donuts, the SA has a higher probability of visiting someone like Naepolatin and giving cardiologists more work.

The circle of life...

Meanwhile, the rest of get sh!tty torque values on our oil pans, filter caps and lug nuts because they spend extra time on Brett Carvre's (Emission) ride due to him thinking he is a big shot with a dozen donuts...
Ha ha...

My Audi has been serviced three times (all oil changes). The first one (free) they left off my coolant cap (I got home and opened the hood and noticed it). The second one was free as a result. However, I did the third myself. Turns out, when I go to remove the oil I notice that the "mechanic" at Audi cross threaded my oil pan drain plug when they did my second service free! :mad: The worst part is that I have no way of proving it! I really don't like dealer service...

- Mike

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha ha...

My Audi has been serviced three times (all oil changes). The first one (free) they left off my coolant cap (I got home and opened the hood and noticed it). The second one was free as a result. However, I did the third myself. Turns out, when I go to remove the oil I notice that the "mechanic" at Audi cross threaded my oil pan drain plug when they did my second service free! :mad: The worst part is that I have no way of proving it! I really don't like dealer service...

- Mike
This definitely creates a question over your donut strategy. Maybe the extra time spent eating donuts in your allotted time results in a rush job to meet the service task time limit?

There is clearly subtleties to donut strategy that goes beyond one's first impression!

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
This definitely creates a question over your donut strategy. Maybe the extra time spent eating donuts in your allotted time results in a rush job to meet the service task time limit?

There is clearly subtleties to donut strategy that goes beyond one's first impression!
I don't bring the Audi team donuts. :eeps:

- Mike

·
Insert T I T L E here
1,970 Posts

The circle of life...
LOL. As appreciation for the fine hospital care I give them; if they gave me a free PowerBox remap for my car, it might be more likely to need service, so I'd give THEM more work. That would be the full circle.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Well, yes, that is essentially correct. The idea is that it should be a token of appreciation, just that, a mere token, nothing substantial at all. I wouldn't want or accept a lot, especially material things. It is just that, a token, and totally unnecessary. A nice smile and thank you is all that is needed. If unable to smile, just keeping your blood pressure in the normal range is enough. ;)

Seriously though, I don't fault you or anything, so don't become defensive, I just really wanted to note that these things have a way of becoming "expected" (look at a few of the other threads we have had about this issue) and becomes like the Mexican police, where instead of professionalism you have an expectation of doing little things to keep people happy. At best it is extremely inefficient. At worst it becomes extremely annoying (as Furball noted too.)
+1, After a tumor resection, I don't expect anything, hopefully the patient's family won't ask about liability instead of patient recovery (seriously????). Usually, if I get a fruit basket or something nice, I distribute it amongst the nurse team instead.

On another note, I have become good friends with my SA over the years, and I am guilty of getting him lunch every time I go in. I go in probably 2 times a year, but shoot him emails on service questions on occasion. I now have an excellent indi for the xi as well and do the same for him.

There are times when patients' families have cooked me lunch or brought something for me; I never expect it, but it is very nice of them. People should always provide excellent service for the good of the customer/patient, not for a return; that being said, a thanks/smile is always nice...the other day, a patient's brother lifted me up in a crazy wrestling bear hug shaking me like a rag doll in front of everyone at the hospital after some good news about his brother's surgery, so that was pretty funny.

Unfortunately, the mexican police likes them the bribes. Same with planted border patrols. :)

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
Nice one M! See what simple donuts and coffee can do for you!

Furbs, so if i lady smiles and say please is it considered a bribe too??
Only if she's as hot as you!

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I posted this question in the thread that got moved ("Best donuts for SA?" or something similar), but didn't get any responses, so posting here and hoping for answers!

How do you know how many to buy? I take a 6 pack of imported beer and 12 donuts for the wrenches at my bike shop- but there are only 6 people working, and its a casual environment. I wanted to do the same for my E92 service personnel (minus the beer), but I couldn't get a proper headcount. It seems that if I buy for the service people, I have to buy it for parts and other departments as well since they are all attached together, which would easily run over $100.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts