BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got sick of having to pay people big bucks to do work i should be doing. So im going to attempt to install coilovers in my 94 myself.

I bought bav auto coilovers for the front (will do bilstien shock/bav auto spring combo in the rear but thats another project), the front coils came with adjustable camber plates mounted on top of the coils already.

So my question is can i install these or do i need more parts, maybe little things like a rubber gasket or something.

If apicture is necessary i can get one.

·
Turn Burglar
12,282 Posts
Theres plenty of info on this site on how to take an e36 front suspension apart. I have faith that you can pull this off, it isnt hard. I've done it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man, i attacked the valve cover gasket and it went smoothly the only thing im worried about is something breaking in the process or some snag to hold the project up along the way. My rear shock mounts were completely destroyed and i found a mouse nest on the way to inspecting the mounts. If they ate the rubber for a winter snack there going to meet the end of my pellet guy.

I have no idea what went on in this car but there was horse and mouse hair all over the place. Its full of surpises it seems.

Do you have any recommended DIYs? Ive been checking out the bentley manual, but for lack of a better word i find it not a very smoothly put write up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question, what do you guys run for camber and caster? I plan on just setting some different options trial and error. But just wondering what you guys prefer.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
coilovers are easy as pie to install, were talking about like 6 bolts on each side hahah.

the camber/caster is also the mount right? if not you just need to make sure u have the right mounts (if ur cars a 1992 chances are u have the wrong mounts)

i dont have camber/caster plates, so im stuck at -2.7camber up front, and about 3 degrees of caster. i doubt this a good setup for my tires haha.

but here this link should help u since u have camber/caster plates,

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=995556

good luck if u need help on install pm me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coilovers are easy as pie to install, were talking about like 6 bolts on each side hahah.

the camber/caster is also the mount right? if not you just need to make sure u have the right mounts (if ur cars a 1992 chances are u have the wrong mounts)

i dont have camber/caster plates, so im stuck at -2.7camber up front, and about 3 degrees of caster. i doubt this a good setup for my tires haha.

but here this link should help u since u have camber/caster plates,

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=995556

good luck if u need help on install pm me.
Its good to hear all the reassurance. Im sure itll all go fine, its just you dont knwo what to expect when youve never done it before. I might go at it tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.

Theres a picture of the coils btw w/ the camber plates attached. The guy i bought them from was a pretty well known dismantler from Bimmerforums.com and he said they just came out of a 3 like this and you can reuse all the hardware from your cars stock set up. So we'll see.

Thanks for the camber article to.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts