BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched Google for the definition of a coin test for engines but no results. What are you testing by doing so?

·
Registered
718 Posts
it has to do with how much tread is on your tire, now I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, a penny should fit in the tread of you wheel or something, or else you tread is too warn and you need new tires

please check my facts on this, but I'm pretty sure that it has to do with how safe your tires are!

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is for the tires. Take a penny and insert it head first into the tire tread, and if you can see the top of Lincoln's head you need new tires.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,211 Posts
Insert the penny *heads up* into the tread....if you can see the date, you have less than 3/16ths of an inch (or 5mm for the metrically-inclined) of tread left, which is considered to be "minimum tread depth".

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok I get it thanx guys

·
Registered
187 Posts
:dunno:I vaguely remember something back in the day about being able to balance a silver dollar on edge on top of some luxury cars motor while it idled. Can't remember which one, but do recall some magazine trying to duplicate it and ended up stuffing a dollar bill into the radiator fins as their best shot. LOL

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:dunno:I vaguely remember something back in the day about being able to balance a silver dollar on edge on top of some luxury cars motor while it idled. Can't remember which one, but do recall some magazine trying to duplicate it and ended up stuffing a dollar bill into the radiator fins as their best shot. LOL
I heard about that too so there are two types of coin test.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
The penny thing seems totally pointless, since tires have these nifty little things called wear bars now anyway.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,211 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah....and there was also the (spoof) TV commercial where a Rabbi circumcised a baby in the back seat of a moving Ford LTD to demonstrate how smooth the ride was....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah....and there was also the (spoof) TV commercial where a Rabbi circumcised a baby in the back seat of a moving Ford LTD to demonstrate how smooth the ride was....
Yeah back when SNL was actually funny. More urban legends.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts