BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tyler's Paw Paw
942 Posts
You're going to get a number of answers soon that say "search."

And you'll probably get a few legitimate answers, but in truth it doesn't matter what brand, because a CAI does very little for performance. They generate a nice sound, and they look good under the hood, but it doesn't matter what type you get.

You'll also hear both sides of the dry filter/oiled filter argument. I've had both; neither one is better than the other from my unscientific use.

And, you'll hear both sides of the CAI/short ram debate. One uses a heat shield, the other places the filter lower in the engine bay, away from engine heat. Personally I like the heat shield - it does keep heat away from the filter, but it also keeps the heat away from the tube going from the filter to the MAF. A true CAI has the tube directly in the engine bay, and that is affected by engine heat.

But, again, personal preference.

A lot of people recommend making your own, and there are some very nice examples here of homemade units. A lot of the people here are crafty.

In the end, it's a totally personal decision.

In my case, at the time I wanted a CAI I had more money than ability so I bought an aFe.

·
Search Button Upper Right
2,234 Posts
+1 Jim

Your CAI is basically a "ticking-time-mod"(that ones for you to dismantle "bombsquad"), you won't really notice much gain in performance - perhaps other than MPG - Until you get more mods to work in unison with the CAI. Ie. Exhaust, 3.5' MAF. After reworking other parts of your intake/exhaust system your CAIs' role in performance steps up dramatically and it actually does provide significant gains vs the stock set-up. Until then you are basically buying sound, which is actually worth it IMO :thumbup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Jim pretty much hit the nail on the head. Just be sure that it either has a heat shield, or is out of the engine compartment unless you want a Hot Air Intake. Even then you'll only loose a couple HP, but why sacrifice HP for the wooshing sound?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Performance wise, you're not gonna see much of a difference. In terms of filtration quality, brand absolutely matters. Now that you know it's important, click the little search link cuz it's been answered by myself and others about 15,000 times.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
^Me too.

And Andy tried to. Ask Andy for tips on what *not* to do, cuz I'm pretty sure he found every last mistake you could ever possibly make....:lmao:

·
Slip slidin around town
1,359 Posts
I used aa piece metal tubing, a filter, some 3" hose clamps some 3" hose cut into a 3" strip 1X2 foot piece of sheet metal and some OEM BMW hood/trunk gasket crap that I found on a car at the junk yard so it matches, painted everything black and voila.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
^Me too.

And Andy tried to. Ask Andy for tips on what *not* to do, cuz I'm pretty sure he found every last mistake you could ever possibly make....:lmao:
lmaooo...

Making a CAI or Short Ram isnt really that hard. Im really inexperienced at mechanical stuff but honestly if i can do it then you can do it...

I shoulda put up a DIY but if i get a bunch of requests i'll go back and take pictures and do a full write up...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Oh and i forgot to add...

to be honest filters are all around the same price... even the ****ty Pepboys/Autozone brands are around 35-50 bucks..... AEM makes great filters and im really happy with mine so its all up to you...

DONT get K&N or else you'll fuk up your MAF AND Chad will kill you :D :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.