Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I headed off for a 200 mile trip yesterday prior to leaving I let the car condition for 30 minutes or so. Upon starting to drive, I got a message that the battery could not supply full current because it needed heat/cooling. In this case it was obviously heat. It was around 0 degrees F for 3 or so days prior. I drove about 50 miles before the message went away. Then all was good.
Has anyone seen this before? We have had cold weather before, but maybe not so severe. I ended up getting about 16 miles electric range with heat, seat heat, defrost etc running. So that was a bit of s puzzle. Should I have conditioned longer?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Cold (below 32deg F) Li batteries have very limited available capacity.
I checked the documents and can't find any reference to a high-voltage battery heater. The electric auxiliary heater is connected to the cabin heating only. The HV battery does have connection to the AC refrigerant circuit but not to the heater part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had this message before when my car was left outside in the cold all night and I left in the morning. I have a solution to that: I program the charging so that it takes place in the hours before my departure. This way, the charging will somewhat heat the battery, and I will have the full battery capacity available when leaving from home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts