BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bawling:Hi folks.
Anyone have any idea what can be happening? Last night the car ran fine, I even thought, wow she sounds great. The car sat in my warm garage over the weekend and I simply backed it out of the garage to go up into the attic to retrieve stuff. I then put in back into the garage and shut it off.

This morning I started up the car and she was shaking like she can shut down at some point and then the display said, Engine Malfunction, something about a load.

I had a problem back in May when I was going up a hill and the car started stalling out and finally I pulled over and had it towed to my mechanic. He said the MAF air sensor was the issue and that he had cleaned it. Well it ran fantastic after that but now it seems or does it? That I a revisiting the MAF sensor needing cleaning again?

I have a code reader so when I get home tonight I will check to see if the codes tell me anything. In the meantime any advice or similar experiences you may have had and what you did about them would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pics. That is what I received I believe. I thought it may be the IVC valve. The Idle Control Valve? I have never cleaned mine and the car has 150K miles. After watching a few YouTube videos on the IVC I am going to clean mine tonight. It is very possible that this valve is getting stuck and causing the rough idling. If anything, it will be a process of elimination. I will start by cleaning the IVC first. You know the other thing I failed to mention, is that my car sat parked outside over night in the cold damp rain with only a quarter tank of gas. The next two days it sat in the garage. My neighbor believes that moisture may have gotten into the gas tank and is causing the car to choke. Last night I started up the car (I did not drive it to work) after I came back from work and it continued to shake and chug. After giving it a bit of gas, it cleared up and ran fine. I backed it down a long drive way and then back up the drive way into the garage and it drove fine. I won't continue driving it until I clean the IVC tonight and put some dry gas in the gas tank. Then i'll drive it up to the gas station in put a full tank of gas in it and see where we go from there. I don't know if I answered my own question or not, but I am trying to eliminate the issue by process of elimination. IF anyone else has any ideas or similar experiences, please share with the rest of us for our collective gain.

Thank you all for reading my post and for replying.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Do you have any codes? Is the CEL illuminated?

Just a comment on your neighbors thought: parking your car in a rain storm is probably not going to put water in your gas. Unless the fuel system has a major leak to the atmosphere, which you would notice due to the smell of gas, the fuel system is sealed. That's why you should hear air escape when you undo the cap from the filler neck. If there is no escaping air, the CEL will light due to a fault in the evaporation control system. This is the dreaded P0420 code.

What code reader do you have? Can you read BMW extended codes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts