BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last European Delivery trip, I visited Cologne (Köln), a city I had not been to in quite a while. I´ve always stayed at the Excelsior Hotel Ernst, for one reason because of its incredible location directly opposite the Dom, but also out of family tradition as my father stayed there every two years for the Photokina tradeshow, meaning he was probably there at least 20 times.

Even though it is a top luxury hotel, it is not expensive compared to such hotels in Munich or Berlin. In fact, it´s average room rate falls into what most people here would consider moderate.

There´s a lot to see and do in Cologne and I´ll try to get that written up.

In the meantime, a few photos from my review (there are 3 slideshows on page 2 of the review with a lot more Fotos by the way).

Excelsior Hotel Ernst, Cologne, Germany - Review

Every two years when I was a child, just like clockwork, my father would head off to Cologne for the Photokina trade show and each time he spent almost a week at the Excelsior Hotel Ernst. Upon his return, he had his secretary type up a letter to the hotel's long-time general manager, Siegfried Breuning, making a reservation for two years hence.

I was allowed to go along on several of these trips and was always impressed by how the hotel staff knew my father - and how my father remembered each of them.

Carl Ernst built the Excelsior in 1863 and Kaiser Wilhelm I watched the completion of the Dom, the Cologne Cathedral, from his room there. The Excelsior was one of the first hotels to have bathtubs in guestrooms and today, guests are offered numerous amenities that make in-room running water seem quaint.

·
Go Dawgs!
1,072 Posts
Cologne is a great destination

My wife and I visited Cologne for three days last July on our second ED. It was the starting point for the Rhine River portion of our trip, as we headed south during the second week. We had a wonderful time there, especially along the riverfront areas, where we had picnics on the grass and enjoyed partaking in the German pastime of a leisurely stroll on a sunny day.

The cathedral is just simply amazing, and makes this a destination in its own right.

Cologne12.JPG

That's Mrs. BickUW standing in the blue denim jacket next to an exact replica of the top of the spires on the cathedral - those things are HUGE.

Cologne2.JPG

But we also enjoyed the riverfront park:
Cologne14.JPG

and the railroad bridge over the Rhine, seeing all of the locks attached to the railings that have various versions of "Heinrich loves Mitzi" enscribed on them - there are literally thousands (probably tens of thousands):
Cologne8.JPG

Nice thread start, Jonathan!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I really liked Köln when I visited it. Its a very different feel to Bayern (Munich) or Berlin which I had previously visited. Its not an enormous city, and can easily be seen in a couple of days, but surely isn't to miss.

·
Aviator
2,959 Posts
I used to spend a lot of time in Köln for work and enjoyed it immensely. It has a interesting Altstadt along the river, a spectacular modern art museum and many great restaurants and bars -> Pancho's Argentine Steakhouse is not to be missed.

+1 on exploring the Dom - and if you can afford the tariff the Dom Hotel is the place to stay:thumbup:

Dick

·
Registered
753 Posts
My favorite things in Köln are the Dom, the Römer Museen (Roman museum) and last but not least Kölsch. Köln's local beer speciality.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Thanks, folks. I have a 3 week trip planned in late April - early May and will be spending a week in Boppard. We plan to go to Cologne for a couple days. Looks like a great city.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Thanks, folks. I have a 3 week trip planned in late April - early May and will be spending a week in Boppard. We plan to go to Cologne for a couple days. Looks like a great city.
You might also want to stop off in Koblenz for a few hours. It is about one-third the way up from Boppard towards Cologne and quite interesting. Also, given your military background, you might find the current/WWII history interesting.

·
Powder Days
1,995 Posts
I also liked the museum with all the prehistoric stuff in it. Can't remember the name though.
Do you mean the Romam museum next to the Dom? Cool place with lots of articles. I still have a decal from there when I first visited many years ago.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Do you mean the Romam museum next to the Dom? Cool place with lots of articles. I still have a decal from there when I first visited many years ago.

Cheers
Yeah, exactly. Its a great city, lots of good architecture too. Theres a roman church somewhere, close to the Heumarkt (I think) where you can pay to go in the Basement and see the ruins of what used to be there, which I found cool too. I was on a bit of a manhandled trip :p

·
Registered
203 Posts
Great city - highly recommended for any trip in that area. For me, Koln, Munich, and Berlin are the cities most worth a visit (or repeat visit) in Germany.

There is a huge videogame show there once a year that may coincide with your trip, its in August, so a bit too early for Oktoberfest but still a nice time to visit. Great river-front drinking & dining culture. Stay near the Dom or the Hyatt just across the river pedetrian/rail bridge is a nice option to get a more modern hotel that is still just a short walk to the Dom/Riverfront action.

·
Registered
615 Posts
we stayed at Koln during the F1 race at Nurburgring. Very nice City and a lot of fascinating history.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts