BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum. Here's my story: I'm graduating from college in a month and will be starting a very lucrative job soon after. I've always wanted a BMW so the timing of my graduation and the release of the E90 couldn't be any more perfect. Needlesstosay, this will be my first BMW: please help me with a few things that I'm debating:

1) 325i or 330i: Once I start my new job, money won't be an issue. However, I *DO* want to be smart about how I spend my money. Since I do want xenons and premium sound, the price difference would only boil down to ~4k.

2) Color: I've always wanted black/black, but is that too mundane? I'm actually surprised how few people are getting black. I really like the graphite, but ruled it out once I realized 80% of the orders are in that color. Anyone seen the monaco in person? I think I'm decided on black leatherette (from the leather VS leatherette thread, I think the leatherette will suit me fine).

3) Sport Package: Out of all the available wheels, I like the 330 SP wheels the best (but actually don't even like them *that much*). So, I was thinking on getting aftermarket wheels, but is this frowned upon by the bimmer-community? Anyhow, if I get aftermarket wheels, then getting the sport package would be a waste (sort of).

Would my car be too plain if all I got was a 330i w/ SP? Would I be missing out on anything that all BMW owners should experience? Or would this be enough for me to enjoy my first BMW?

Thanks for any input/comments/suggestions.

·
Registered
468 Posts
E90Newbie said:
Would my car be too plain if all I got was a 330i w/ SP? Would I be missing out on anything that all BMW owners should experience? Or would this be enough for me to enjoy my first BMW?
Its all you need until you get old and start to crave leather. If you really enjoy driving you will be glad you got a 330i sport. If you want to impress people (nothing wrong with that) you will accomplish that by being a young guy with a 330. Us old guys have to try a lot harder than that to impress anybody.

If you've owned a black car then you know what you're getting into. If you haven't then talk to some folks who have. Black is high maintenance.

Good luck.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Black cars when clean are beautiful but require a fair amount of attention. I've seen the Monoco blue in person and its a deep rich color. It will probably have the same level of cleaning issues as black but if you want a deep color other than black its a handsome alternative. My current E46 is steel gray which is not all that different from the SP you say 80 % are ordering. Rich color, does not show dirt like the really dark colors and fits well with the image of the car. Taste is taste so you will ultimately need to decide what YOU really like.

If you're still vacillating between the 325 and the 330 DO NOT test drive a 330. The 325 is a great car and you'd love it - just not after you've driven the 330. Leatherette in many cases and to many people is almost indistinguishable from leather, don't let that be a concern.

The sport package, for me, is a requirement for the suspension, wheels, etc. I'd agree with you, if necessary get a 330 with SP.

For a graduation gift buy a new BMW using European Delivery and save enough for a short vacation in Europe.

·
---------
460 Posts
dkfchan said:
If $$ is not the issue, get fully loaded (330 + PP + SP + Nav). This will prevent you regretting from not getting this or that.
...but will hurt you in resale :) I am not saying you should save money on options but I would recommend deciding what you will be using instead of getting everything "just in case".

I would love a black car too but imagine cleaning it every week or more often. Even going for a longer ride you risk coming back with lots of dirt visible all around. Hmm.. I thought 80% of people order titanium silver, not graphite. Perhaps we should do another poll ;)

Is the lucrative job at MS? Which group? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greg220 said:
Is the lucrative job at MS? Which group? :)
You got the field right, but wrong company. But a bunch of my friends are going to MS. I'll be at Amazon. :)

By the way, are you going to BMW of Seattle/Bellevue/Fife? Does it matter which one?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
You're probably not going to like what I have to say.

If you're fresh out of college, your credit score is going to suck so much @ss that it'll be damn near impossible for you to get a decent rate. Be prepared to shell out between 8-10% interest for the car.

If the job is lucrative enough, I suggest you explore a much longer term finance, if indeed you need to finance the car. Something like a 72mo+ loan may not be a bad idea, then once you start paying, pay off as much as you can monthly...So if the mo. payment is like $550/mo at, say, 84 mo. loan, pay about $1,000 a month if you can afford it. This way it helps you build a credit history AND allow you to pay off the loan as if it's a short term loan, without the penalties of paying extra high interest rate since the majority of your payment outside of the monthly will go toward principle of the loan.

Just a thought. It might be easier too, to save up as much as possible for a couple of month and put down a big down payment to entice a bank to loan you some $$$ despite the lack of credit history. Or get someone you know with a good, established credit history to co-sign the loan with you.

Hard to imagine a bank that will loan you $45,000+ without a significant work history and credit history, but good luck.

·
---------
460 Posts
The HACK said:
If you're fresh out of college, your credit score is going to suck so much @ss that it'll be damn near impossible for you to get a decent rate. Be prepared to shell out between 8-10% interest for the car.(...)
Or you can save and pay in cash :thumbup:

E90Newbie said:
By the way, are you going to BMW of Seattle/Bellevue/Fife? Does it matter which one?
What is "Fife"? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The HACK said:
It might be easier too, to save up as much as possible for a couple of month and put down a big down payment to entice a bank to loan you some $$$ despite the lack of credit history.
Well, my first paycheck will include a "signing bonus," which is a pretty significant amount of money. I was hoping that a huge down payment would be enough to convince them to loan me the money. Plus, I've had a credit card (albeit just one) for about two years now, and have kept it in really good standing.

If I put down about 25% of the car's worth, would this be enough?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey E90Newbie,

Where did you go to school? Congrats on the job at Amazon. I'm in almost the same situation as you. I am finishing up at UC Berkeley and am moving up there to work at Expedia.

I'd say get whichever options you like or want to have. I am getting a 330i with all three packages and steptronic. I don't like dark colors so much so mine will be Arctic/Gray/Walnut but that's not a common combo and most would prefer something else. For color, I absolutely suggest that you go see any of them you're considering in person before you decide. I did, and I actually changed my mind to Arctic because of it.

Well, good luck with your decision. PM me if you'd like to chat more.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh also, I'm not exactly sure of the full details behind this but regarding financing, the salesperson we spoke to said that BMW has a specific program for people in a situation like ours (new grad, great job to afford a BMW by themselves) so after providing proof of my recent graduation and employment, the salesperson said that I'm liable to get at least as good as the 5.5% they were giving if my dad cosigned or maybe even better!!!

I didn't know about this and I'm waiting to hear back on the application but this is fantastic if it works out. I will try to find out an exact name of what they call this program internally so you can ask yoru dealer about it.

And by the way, you might want to shop out of Washington if you're not already there. The dealers there aren't coming off of sticker.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Armen52 said:
...the salesperson we spoke to said that BMW has a specific program for people in a situation like ours (new grad, great job to afford a BMW by themselves) so after providing proof of my recent graduation and employment, the salesperson said that I'm liable to get at least as good as the 5.5% they were giving if my dad cosigned or maybe even better!!!
That would be awesome! Please keep me posted on anything you find. Thanks!

By the way, besides $500, what do you need in order to order one? You don't really need to be ready to purchase until it arrives right? How long is the wait anyways?

Should I try to order now, even though I won't have the funds to purchase until August?

·
Registered
209 Posts
E90Newbie said:

While not in the same situation as you, when I purchased my first BMW, I also had the same debate. As a driving enthusiast, it was a no-brainer for me to choose the 330 over the 325 and the sports package (I actually opted for the M-Sports Package available in Canada on the E46 at the time). Not being satisfied with the stock wheels, I then proceeded to buy 19" BBS wheels and suitable tires. :bigpimp:

Black rocks if you want a classy looking vehicle but you do have to clean it regularly for it to look good. If you love your car as much as it sounds like you will, you will probably spend the time to keep it looking good. Despite what others will say, a lighter color doesn't save you from having to wash it as often because the first thing to get dirty on any BWM is the wheels. After two days they are starting to look black and after a week people will think you actually have black powder coated wheels. So don't pick a color based on how often you think you will have to wash it... Every BMW should be washed at least once a week if not twice (shame on those of you who don't! :tsk: )

As for upholstery, mine came with a suede like material and cloth but if I had to choose between leather and leatherette, I would definitely choose the real thing. I find it mind-boggling that a car like a BMW comes standard with vinyl (who cares what it looks like - it's still frickin vinyl!). :tsk:

As for gadgets, as others have suggested, I would try to pick and choose based on what you like/need. I opted for Navigation and would do so again in a heart beat. It's very useful, its great if you are a gadget freak, and it puts your car on another level in terms of being "upscale" that your friends will envy. The upgraded audio system was also a no-brainer for me as I have a history doing car stereo upgrades and therefore can't stand the trashy sound in most stock systems but could tolerate the optional system and of course it required zero effort (a bonus now a days). Power seats may be something you can pass on. I had them in my last car and I set them once when I first bought the car and never really touched the controls again. My X5 has power seats though, and there they are actually useful, especially with the memory as my wife and I both share driving the X5.

Good luck and enjoy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
E90Newbie said:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum. Here's my story: I'm graduating from college in a month and will be starting a very lucrative job soon after. I've always wanted a BMW so the timing of my graduation and the release of the E90 couldn't be any more perfect. Needlesstosay, this will be my first BMW: please help me with a few things that I'm debating:

1) 325i or 330i: Once I start my new job, money won't be an issue. However, I *DO* want to be smart about how I spend my money. Since I do want xenons and premium sound, the price difference would only boil down to ~4k.

2) Color: I've always wanted black/black, but is that too mundane? I'm actually surprised how few people are getting black. I really like the graphite, but ruled it out once I realized 80% of the orders are in that color. Anyone seen the monaco in person? I think I'm decided on black leatherette (from the leather VS leatherette thread, I think the leatherette will suit me fine).

3) Sport Package: Out of all the available wheels, I like the 330 SP wheels the best (but actually don't even like them *that much*). So, I was thinking on getting aftermarket wheels, but is this frowned upon by the bimmer-community? Anyhow, if I get aftermarket wheels, then getting the sport package would be a waste (sort of).

330i,330i,330i...................No question, you have to start out on the right page and not be a pretender. In all to short of time you'll be eyeing the new M3 or M5, maybe 550i. Nothing worst than driving a 325i and then watching a 330i pass you by........regret,regret,regret. Any way you look at it, value is better in the 330i.
Facts for choosing a 330i over a 325i:
1. Same MPG
2. Standard $1200 Logic 7 with subs under the seats........for the ladies :)
3. 40 more horsepower
4. Significant for Torque, which is always needed
5. Bigger Brakes
6. Standard $800 Xenons
7. Bigger better looking wheels with Sport Pkg. Which you must purchase if your under the age of 50.
8. You can't put a price on the extra performance features the 330i offers you, but if you factor in the better stereo and xenons that over $2k. This still makes the car about $4k more than a 325i with same features.
:D But worth ever %*@*& penny.

Leather, might be more maintenance in the long run, but its better leather than in years past and its more comfortable, better resale and less sticky when it warms up. Nobody likes to sell their BMW and advertise VINYL.

Heated seats if you live here in the N.W.

Black paint is awesome, if you want to take care of it.

And if you don't love the Sport wheels........change them out when its time to replace the tires "maybe 19's". :thumbup:

Remember, don't want when you can have. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
160 Posts
So I looked into that program I mentioned earlier in the thread. Apparently its called the college graduate buyer's program and its through BMW Financial. Here is a link to their site about it.

I will let you know if the claim that I can get better terms than with a cosigner is actually true or not once I get the results of my application.

With regards to order time and deposit...

It takes approximately 8 weeks from the day you order it until you can pick it up at your dealer if you're getting a car custom built to your specs. If a car like what you want already exists on the dealer's lot or in the BMW production pipeline then the time will be a bit shorter obviously. The deposit you place for the order is totally refundable. I've heard anywhere from $500 to $1000 for the deposit.

You can place a deposit now with a dealer for August delivery and they will just likely take their time in ordering the car. I don't think you need to finalize payment for the car until you pick it up, but I am not 100% on that.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not knowing what your talking in regards to salary/bonus ( and not asking) . Or what your current housing situation is. I would invest in a piece of property and put off the car for a bit. I did that at your age and now on my 5th home im allmost mortgage free. Also I could not dream of parking a 43k vehicle in a apartment parking lot for example. Just my 02c since you said you wanted to be smart with your money.

Good luck what ever you decide.

·
Registered
73 Posts
SilverTE90 said:
Not knowing what your talking in regards to salary/bonus ( and not asking) . Or what your current housing situation is. I would invest in a piece of property and put off the car for a bit. I did that at your age and now on my 5th home im allmost mortgage free. Also I could not dream of parking a 43k vehicle in a apartment parking lot for example. Just my 02c since you said you wanted to be smart with your money.

I don't agree. If you can afford the Bimmer now, buy it! I had a chance to get a bimmer when I was young. Now early 30s with wife and 2 kids, it takes me a lot of consideration even I have the ability.

Girls like guy with nice car also.

·
---------
460 Posts
SilverTE90 said:

I fully agree with the opinion on real estate. If you are going to spend all your savings to buy a nice car or spend a big chunk of your salary for payments - don't do this. I have been driving my Pontiac for the past 4 years (I know, it's a shame) but I was able to invest my money wisely and now I'm 27, I own 2 townhouses and I buy my E90 with cash... Patience and good investing pays off. Unfortunately, a new car is not an investment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of the advice concerning the real estate thing. I'm spent many nights pondering this issue. The *SMART* thing would be to invest in a house. I was actually thinking of buying a condo near my work. I know that cars depreciate whereas houses appreciate.

BUT, I'm only 22 and can't help myself!!! :) :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes...this will absolutely be enough for you to enjoy your FIRST BMW...IMO, even a 325i w/ just ZSP is enough to enjoy your first BMW....
Hopefully you will find a way to be financially prudent with your first significant stream of income and also meet some of your more impulsive desires....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.