BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search of this forum and couldn't find much info about this.

My friend says you can have this done by a body shop for around $500. I have lots of swirl marks and minor-moderate oxidation on dark green paint, and he recommended I get this done.

What can anyone tell me about this procedure, and does it leave the paint unprotected (i.e. obliterate the clear coat)?

Any recommendations on this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Color sanding is just wet sanding. You WILL remove a substantial amount of your clearcoat. I'd say try polishing with some abrasive compounds and a cutting pad before you resort to that. You'll still reduce your clearcoat, but not to the extent that color sanding will do.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
I did a search of this forum and couldn't find much info about this.

My friend says you can have this done by a body shop for around $500. I have lots of swirl marks and minor-moderate oxidation on dark green paint, and he recommended I get this done.

What can anyone tell me about this procedure, and does it leave the paint unprotected (i.e. obliterate the clear coat)?

Any recommendations on this?
I have color sanded in the past, essentially if you paint a car with a laquer based paint you need to color-sand & yes it will smooth and soften the surface.

I have found if you use the proper grit, the sanding itself is safely performed, be VERY CAUTIOUS with the buffer....I would go to a body shop you trust. The results are remarkable !! just expect brand new swirls again down the road, but color sanding is the final method of swirl elimination "if" NOTHING else works. Dark colors suck in the long run :cry: hence my Black 330V is now MIA.

Good luck !

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flashinthepan said:
I have color sanded in the past, essentially if you paint a car with a laquer based paint you need to color-sand & yes it will smooth and soften the surface.
Can you elaborate? What do you mean a laquer based paint? The car has factory paint, so does what does this mean?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
Can you elaborate? What do you mean a laquer based paint? The car has factory paint, so does what does this mean?
Brett most show paints with extreme graphics are Laquer based paint. Your factory paint is not laquer..and perhaps if it is the factory original paint, not real thick. When you color sand you use a water process of wet-sanding...as you sand the pigment becomes slightly darker as you go....this means you have gradually cut the very top surface if the paint.

I have been involved with wet-sanding a few times, never once hurt anything and honestly quite successfull, one exception a small burn mark in the paint from excessive buffing pressure....this will not happen from a pro.

$500 is a very fair price, it is indeed a lot of work.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Be REALLY cautious about where you bring it for this. I've seen factory paint ruined using this method a number of times (some types of paint don't polish well when you go through the clear, which will happen in some places). See if you can find a *really* good detailer or a shop that can show you work they have done like this. A decent place will probably charge more than $500.

I can't help but wonder if this is the best solution for your situation. If the car has been neglected to the point of really needing this, is it a good idea to remove that much paint? Do you suddenly have a commitment to keeping the paint up? After this is done once with factory paint, you really don't have room to use anything even mildly abrasive 'next time'. The only option you're leaving yourself is a repaint, so you really need to ask yourself if you're going to keep after it from this point forward.

If it were my car I would have a really good detailer have a look at it. It's amazing what good detailers can pull off even with the most neglected paint.

--SONET

1 - 6 of 6 Posts