BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to lease a new X3 in the next 4 to 6 weeks, and would appreciate any feedback on dealers in the Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins area. I haven't done a new car lease before so hearing about any good or bad experiences would be very helpful.

Am getting a lot of information reading the posts and stickies on leasing, so hopefully will be well prepared, but nothing like hearing about personal experiences. Any advice on the dealer's service department would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I can't help much with lease info, but I bought my 335i coupe at Ralph Schomp and have been happy so far. I'm guessin you're on the north side of the metro area, so that may be a bit of a haul. Look for rexrider, I think he got his e90 in Boulder. Good luck.

Erik

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guppyflyer. Yeah I'm up in Ft. Collins.

I'll see if I can get some info from rexrider.

·
bimmeruser
51 Posts
Cosav,

I sent you a PM. Check it out

·
Registered
278 Posts
Co's BMW in Loveland offered me about $1200 over invoice, Ralph Schomp wasn't quite as good, and Gebhardt didn't even return my calls - I'll never buy a car from them, they go through sales people pretty quick too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mrdirosa, thanks for the feedback. I'll give Co's and RS a shot. Others have also recommended them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a 2007 X3 via ED from Gebhardt. I'm now ordering a 2008 328xi for domestic delivery. I dealt with Tom Stephanchick on the ED, and with the general manager, Jeff Hayes who bought my trade in now and was willing to deal on the new order as well.

Bottom line is do your homework. Know what you want and be totally up front with them about what kind of a deal you expect from them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sales Experience:
I bought my car from Ralph Schomp in Englewood. An 04 CPO 325Xi. The sales guy, John O'Brien was super cool. He was an older gentleman with a lot of knowledge about beemers. He took me for a test ride to the "Deer Creek Canyon Road" and I loved the test drive. Upon my request, he even let me take it for a spin a second time once we got back to the dealership.

He threw in the iPod Kit and an upgrade to the full alarm as an incentive for me. So, I got an heck of a deal. He also stayed pretty late (till about 10PM) so that I could wrap up things and drive out.

I would recommend John @ Ralph Schomp for any sales related stuff and their Sales Manager is pretty cool too.

Service Experience:
Ralph Schomp SUCKS!! You basically have to call them 3 or 4 times before you can get a hold of anyone. Sometimes, even though your car is done, they won't call you back. I have had to go back to them for the same problem - almost 5 times now. They believe in replacing parts, rather than fixing them. Don't bother asking them for any performance related enhancements. You are much better off posting the same question here in the fest and get a lot of sensible answers. I am thinking of going to Murray motors the next time I need any service. Hopefully they are better than these schmucks.

What's yalls experience with other service departments? I live in Highlands Ranch and am also considering checking out the dealership in Springs.

Thanks,
vG

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ralph Schomp's MINI service is awesome, it's unfortunate to hear that the BMW side of things isn't so good.

Gebhardt's service is horrid - exactly the same thing as you mentioned, they never call you and they do substandard work. My maintenance may be free, but I won't take it to Gebhardt...

Anyone know how Co's or Murray's service is? I live in the Boulder area.

Thanks,
Michael

Sales Experience:
I bought my car from Ralph Schomp in Englewood. An 04 CPO 325Xi. The sales guy, John O'Brien was super cool. He was an older gentleman with a lot of knowledge about beemers. He took me for a test ride to the "Deer Creek Canyon Road" and I loved the test drive. Upon my request, he even let me take it for a spin a second time once we got back to the dealership.

He threw in the iPod Kit and an upgrade to the full alarm as an incentive for me. So, I got an heck of a deal. He also stayed pretty late (till about 10PM) so that I could wrap up things and drive out.

I would recommend John @ Ralph Schomp for any sales related stuff and their Sales Manager is pretty cool too.

Service Experience:
Ralph Schomp SUCKS!! You basically have to call them 3 or 4 times before you can get a hold of anyone. Sometimes, even though your car is done, they won't call you back. I have had to go back to them for the same problem - almost 5 times now. They believe in replacing parts, rather than fixing them. Don't bother asking them for any performance related enhancements. You are much better off posting the same question here in the fest and get a lot of sensible answers. I am thinking of going to Murray motors the next time I need any service. Hopefully they are better than these schmucks.

What's yalls experience with other service departments? I live in Highlands Ranch and am also considering checking out the dealership in Springs.

Thanks,
vG

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looking to buy a BMW within the next 3-4 months. More than likely will go with a X3. Has anyone had a good experience (or bad) with a Denver area dealer doing an ED?

Thanks,

Keith S.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Anyone been able to get better than $1,700 (incl. dealer fees) over invoice on a (special order) '08 335i Sedan from dealers in Denver, Boulder and Loveland?

·
Registered
102 Posts
bumping an old thread here, but i just bought a 335ci from Co's and it is by far the best dealership i have ever worked with (I have worked with 3 separate BMW dealerships) and i would recommend them to anyone

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
I purchased my CPO 2005 545 at Schomp last fall, and unfortunately had a very unsavory experience on the trade-in side.

I was driving a 2001 X5 3.0 at the time. My inclination was to sell it privately, which I ultimately did, but since I was there talking to the dealership anyway I decided to have it appraised.

Predictably, the appraisal came back thousands of dollars below book. Again, I wasn't really planning to trade it in and did not need to in order to buy the 545. But I thought I would initiate a discussion about the trade amount at which I might have taken action - had Schomp been able to do a deal in a certain range, I would have been forced to consider the convenience factor in my decision. I began this line of conversation in a highly respectful and professional way, just as I would with a client of my own.

At that point I felt like I was in a no-credit lot used car dealership. The trade-in guy was combative, condescending, criticized my choice in options on my X5, and even cut me off in mid-sentence a couple times. He would not move a thin dime on the trade amount.

I am sure that he simply did not want another X5 and was trying to price himself out of getting it on his lot. I get that, and it's OK with me. But, at Murray Motors, where I have done all of my business through the years save this one transaction, Meddie Mo would have told me that the dealer would not be able to provide me with a satisfying trade value and recommend I save the time and sell it myself.

In the end, I sold it privately and got $4000 more than the trade offer - not unexpected nor uncommon, and this post is not about the disparity in value between a trade and a private sale. It's about the kind of conversation I found myself in and feel I did not ask for nor deserve.

I have consistently received more professional treatment from Murray than I did at Schomp on this transaction. It's kind of hard for me to explain it in words, but the experience put a very bitter taste in my mouth. Had I not found exactly the 545 I was looking for there, I would probably have left.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a 135i and I am getting roughly the same deal from Murray and Gebhardt. I'm wondering if anyone can provide any input as to which dealership they've had better experiences with? Thanks.

·
Yes, please!
1,227 Posts
I had a pretty decent experience on my lease last week at Murray. I haven't had to use them for service yet. Gebhardt wasn't looking to make a deal at all.
If you can get the same deal from each place, and you're happy with the experience so far, then I would purchase from which ever dealer you will be using for service.

·
3,618 Posts
If you can get the same deal from each place, and you're happy with the experience so far, then I would purchase from which ever dealer you will be using for service.
I agree. No experience with Gebhardt at all. But on the whole, I have been very pleased with Murray.

·
3,618 Posts
I purchased my CPO 2005 545 at Schomp last fall, and unfortunately had a very unsavory experience on the trade-in side.

I was driving a 2001 X5 3.0 at the time. My inclination was to sell it privately, which I ultimately did, but since I was there talking to the dealership anyway I decided to have it appraised.

Predictably, the appraisal came back thousands of dollars below book. Again, I wasn't really planning to trade it in and did not need to in order to buy the 545. But I thought I would initiate a discussion about the trade amount at which I might have taken action - had Schomp been able to do a deal in a certain range, I would have been forced to consider the convenience factor in my decision. I began this line of conversation in a highly respectful and professional way, just as I would with a client of my own.

At that point I felt like I was in a no-credit lot used car dealership. The trade-in guy was combative, condescending, criticized my choice in options on my X5, and even cut me off in mid-sentence a couple times. He would not move a thin dime on the trade amount.

I am sure that he simply did not want another X5 and was trying to price himself out of getting it on his lot. I get that, and it's OK with me. But, at Murray Motors, where I have done all of my business through the years save this one transaction, Meddie Mo would have told me that the dealer would not be able to provide me with a satisfying trade value and recommend I save the time and sell it myself.

In the end, I sold it privately and got $4000 more than the trade offer - not unexpected nor uncommon, and this post is not about the disparity in value between a trade and a private sale. It's about the kind of conversation I found myself in and feel I did not ask for nor deserve.

I have consistently received more professional treatment from Murray than I did at Schomp on this transaction. It's kind of hard for me to explain it in words, but the experience put a very bitter taste in my mouth. Had I not found exactly the 545 I was looking for there, I would probably have left.
I just remembered another interesting point about this negative trade-in experience I had at Schomp. My X5 had 90,000 miles on it. The Schomp guy asked me if I had performed the timing belt maintenance yet. What was he playing at?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gephardt

I successfully negotiated a European Delivery with Gephardt a few years ago. No one else in the Denver area was willing to go below MSRP. I also have had several cars serviced there, and they have always been excellent. Their service dept is small so the customer service seems a little more personal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Winslow Motors, Co. Springs

If you don't mind the drive, try Winslow Motors, down in the Springs. I dealt with them for four years, Never had any problems with service or parts, and Never got gouged. Very friendly sales and service staff, and very relaxed, no-hassle experience.

RGO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts