Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.
I know there have been other threads and I did google them but I couldn’t find the answer still.
Just recently the comfort access (keyless entry) stopped working on the driver’s door. Other doors function well and actually I still can lock driver's door by touching the handle. So it’s only unlocking.
I called my technician earlier today and he told me the sensor is located not in the handle itself but some other module needs to be replaced.
I googled what’s there on ebay and found this part: 6957094 (Control unit passive go).
I’m guessing he was talking about this thing but it doesn’t really make any sense to me since everything else works except for the unlocking.
What would you recommend me to do to check if it’s the handle or the module problem? Because I don’t really want to spend money on something that will not 100% fix the issue. Technician said if it’s the module it is around €300-€500 + labor (I actually found it on ebay for about €50 but still).

·
Registered
2009 BMW 550i
499 Posts
I don't know what country you live in, but assume a European country with LHD. I had a similar Comfort Access issue with my 2009 550i, and needed to replace the driver's door "Carrier with Catch, coded left", part number 51217191921. I was not in a position to pay the full dealer price, which would have been over $700, so I sourced a used part on eBay. Fortunately, the used part worked fine. The initial symptoms for me were intermittent touch operation, coupled with random locking/unlocking when walking away from the vehicle and high battery drain (the faulty module would not let the car go to sleep). I now have an issue with the door carrier in the left rear door....again the touch doesn't work, and high battery drain.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The door handles do have electronics in them your driver's door handle could be the problem. Here is a PDF overview of the comfort access system. It has info on all models so you will need to ignore the non-e60 sections. I have not had to troubleshoot the comfort access system yet so I don't know where to tell you to start. I think a bad module would cause a problem with all door handles instead of just one. Not to mention you can still lock the car using the driver's door.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't know what country you live in, but assume a European country with LHD. I had a similar Comfort Access issue with my 2009 550i, and needed to replace the driver's door "Carrier with Catch, coded left", part number 51217191921. I was not in a position to pay the full dealer price, which would have been over $700, so I sourced a used part on eBay. Fortunately, the used part worked fine. The initial symptoms for me were intermittent touch operation, coupled with random locking/unlocking when walking away from the vehicle and high battery drain (the faulty module would not let the car go to sleep). I now have an issue with the door carrier in the left rear door....again the touch doesn't work, and high battery drain.
I***8217;m from Estonia so you***8217;re correct. I found the part on ebay and good thing is the seller accepts returns so even if it***8217;s not it I won***8217;t lose ***8364;300 which is the price for it. I***8217;ll definitely try this first. Thanks so much!

The door handles do have electronics in them your driver's door handle could be the problem. Here is a PDF overview of the comfort access system. It has info on all models so you will need to ignore the non-e60 sections. I have not had to troubleshoot the comfort access system yet so I don't know where to tell you to start. I think a bad module would cause a problem with all door handles instead of just one. Not to mention you can still lock the car using the driver's door.
And this could be useful as well thanks man! I***8217;ll get back here when I have updates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts