BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my baby in for a pre-warranty expiring check out. (The basics...wind noise in the sunroof, noisy cold start, very occasional transmission weirdness). And one really odd thing...I had never used the horn. My wife drove the car one day and had a near miss and couldn't get the horn to blow. She griped to me about it, I assumed she just didn't hit the right button, but she mentioned it to the dealer and he checked... go figure, no horn. Apparently the fuse had been removed from the horn circuit. They replaced it, good horn. Anyway, all else well and good, but when I got it back, something seemed odd, but I couldn't put my finger on it...until I realized that Comfort Access wasn't working anymore.

I have to tell you that I thought CA was the height of utter silliness. If it hadn't come on the car I wanted anyway, I would never have paid extra or thought that I would want it, but now I am so spoiled with it...

Anyway...called the dealer, Global BMW in Atlanta...nice people to work with most of the time. They said they had never heard this before and the typical, drop it off and we will see what's going on. (I really haven't got a problem with that, and their X5 loaners are not that bad). Just wondering what some of you 65/66'ophiles thought may have been the cause.

Six years ago I thought the most amazing car ever built was the 2001 740i. This 750i made me forget that old romance like it was the girl before the prom queen.

Ideas?

Charles
2006 760i Saphire Black, Sport, Comfort, Cold weather...
2001 740i Black, Sport, upgrade nav
2002 ML320
2006 Navigor

·
Registered
766 Posts
How come your warranty is expiring for 06? Do have almost 50K miles? Just curious?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have been following our son's sports teams. HS baseball/basketball player. Games all over the south, college visits, etc. Bet I put a thousand miles a week some times. I have to admit that I enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
766 Posts
We have been following our son's sports teams. HS baseball/basketball player. Games all over the south, college visits, etc. Bet I put a thousand miles a week some times. I have to admit that I enjoy the drive.
Sounds fun to me. Nothing wrong in admitting that you enjoy driving it. Me too. About 8k shy of hitting 50K. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Start looking into an extended warranty ASAP!:eeps:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No fair teasing! Why would you think that is the beginning of the slippery slope to the slag heap? I do have the extended warranty, but thought one of you guys would respond with something like "if you had noticed the posts from 2006, you would know that to turn on a turned off comfort access you have to push the Idrive controller three times to the left with a cha-cha motion, tap the brake pedal, and then rotate the steering wheel"...or even worse "page 72 in the owner's manual dummy".

I assumed it was either an RFID or bluetooth integration, and checked that bluetooth was on, but there didn't seem to be a correlation.

Thanks for the thought about United. I may run by and give them a look see. I live in the northwest corridor of Atlanta, and nothing is convenient, but Global is less inconvenient that most of the rest.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I'm not that far from you, I'm Northwest as well in Marietta. Do you guys still have the water ban?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Towne Lake. At the risk of sounding unprincipled, I think there is a water ban, but I don't think anybody is paying attention. There seems to be plenty of lawn watering, car washing, and pool filling. However, we have started showering with our neighbors as our contribution to the crisis.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Six years ago I thought the most amazing car ever built was the 2001 740i. This 750i made me forget that old romance like it was the girl before the prom queen.
Too bad the girl before the prom queen had much better genes (i.e. she's the one that doesn't get fat in 15 years).

E38 is one of the most solid BMWs ever built. Starting to look into finding one of those for my brother again, '01 740i Sport in blue, Imola or white.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 06 750i too. Let me know if your dealer is able to fix the noisy cold start. Took it to 2 different dealers and was told it is normal as it is a big 4.8L, need to warm up quickly to meet emission std and no error code. My 9 years old Lexus LX470 4.7L does not do that. This is the only remaining annoying thing on my car.

As for the noisy sunroof seal, mine is getting better after the 4th one. Original one was replaced with some angle adjustment, don't seems to improve. Noticed the corner seems to lift off...Took it to 2nd dealer (where our great BMW-Tech works) and they change the seal. It is still noisy and noticed it was warped. Took it back this week and now came back nicely done. Noise seems to have reduced significantly. Still not as quiet as the Lexus or Audi sunroof.

Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
06 with the warranty expiring?? I have an '02 with 88k on it and it's in for it's final warranty / maintance service. My dealer here has been awesome! This last time I asked if they could check a slight vibration at idle and the SA called yesterday and said the tech rebuilt most of the engine. I hope I love this car as much out of warranty! hehehe

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your problem is that you are using Global for your service. They broke more on my car than they fixed. BMW of South Atlanta gets all of my business now. They have reserved spots offsite at the ATL airport. Drop your car, take your trip, come back and your car is serviced, washed and ready to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts