BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comfort access has almost ruined my happy marriage. If my wife is getting in on the right side, she can't unlock the door unless I am standing right next to her (the fob is in my pocket) and only a couple of feet from the right side. I had (mistakenly) been blaming her for poor technique. If I am even five feet back, her touch does not work. If I am standing on the driver's side, quite close to the door, her touch also does not work. If I place the fob on the ground, about two paces away from the car,my touch does not work.

Have other CA users found similar behavior? My working solution is to program the door unlocking via iDrive so that all four doors unlock with my touch on the driver's door, or with a single remote click. Not what I had hoped for, but the best working solution. If I were single, and wishing to behave like a gentleman, I would want to open my date's door first, but that would mean draping myself all over her.........

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I think it is supposed to be about 3 feet or so - my kids have the same issue - if I am on my side they can't unlock the other side, so I programmed i-drive to unlock both my doors when I touch my side.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Opening all doors seems the best solution by far, although I can imagine that others might find advantages in the need to get close to their passenger. And if you think about it, allowing the person on the opposite side of the car from the fob (or otherwise not close to the fob) to unlock that door amounts to about the same thing, security-wise, as having all the doors unlock at once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have noticed the same thing, sometimes the passenger is able to unlock the door when I am on the other side and sometimes they can't. If I get in the car and sit down then they can usually unlock the door. I read about the unlock all 4 doors option with iDrive, and that seems like the easiest fix for now.

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
draping yourself all over her? huh? Just walk around and open the door for her, then there is no problem. I have mine set for all 4 doors to unlock for when someone else needs to get in, but for girlfriend open the door for her.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
It's best to set all 4 doors to unlock simultaneously, in order to utilise the Comfort Access so that it's convenient. My dad didn't want it for this key fob, so only his is set to single unlock.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
djohn23;3197295 I read about the unlock all 4 doors option with iDrive said:
It doesn't have anything to do with iDrive, or with Comfort Access for that matter. There are two settings for remote unlocking: one click for all doors, or one for the driver and two for the rest. This is true for non-iDrive and non-CA cars as well.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
That's the way it's supposed to work. You don't want someone to be able to walk up and open your car if you're standing on the other side of it.

·
pc335diesel
156 Posts
Comfort access doesnt work well in the rain and half the time it doesnt work because my wallet is in my pocket covering the keyfob. This is one feature I would definitely trade for Sirius radio.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Comfort access doesnt work well in the rain and half the time it doesnt work because my wallet is in my pocket covering the keyfob. This is one feature I would definitely trade for Sirius radio.
Maybe you should put the fob in your other pocket :dunno:

CA isn't perfect, but I'd buy it again if I had to do it again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
jelliotlevy:

The best solution is that which TGray5 recommended--be a gentleman and open the door for your lady. You might be pleasantly surprised by the response.

Cheers, ED

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jelliotlevy:

The best solution is that which TGray5 recommended--be a gentleman and open the door for your lady. You might be pleasantly surprised by the response.

Cheers, ED

Too late to be a gentleman; I've been married for more than 46 years. On occasions, I will reach into my pocket and rely on hitting the keyfob for door unlocking. That will work from quite far away. I have had success from 50 feet or more. The comfort access unlock feature does not rely on the fob's power transmission capability, and I suppose that is why it works at extremely short range.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The solution I have for this is to give my wife the second key fob. She can then open her door the same way I can.
My problem with this is if she unlocks the doors before I do I get all her presets etc. UGH!

·
Registered
472 Posts
You have to be close, but you have to understand if somebody is getting in their car and a thief runs up to the passenger door you're probably glad they can't get in.

I typically open the door for my wife, or when I'm lazy/mad I usually let her just wait till I touch the handle ;)

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,101 Posts
jelliotlevy:

Cheers, ED

Too late to be a gentleman; I've been married for more than 46 years. On occasions, I will reach into my pocket and rely on hitting the keyfob for door unlocking. That will work from quite far away. I have had success from 50 feet or more. The comfort access unlock feature does not rely on the fob's power transmission capability, and I suppose that is why it works at extremely short range.
Never too late to be a gentleman. Who knows, you might end up with a second honeymoon.

I have a question. Can you set it so that when you touch the ridges twice (kinda like pushing the fob button twice) it unlocks all the doors?

·
*Da Butter Pecan Papi*
2,261 Posts
CA in my car works much better when the fob is inside a bag or briefcase. I had many problems when I kept it in my pocket... now I keep the fob in my gym bag and it works flawlessly! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I have a question. Can you set it so that when you touch the ridges twice (kinda like pushing the fob button twice) it unlocks all the doors?
I tried this Raider but it doesn't seem to matter how many times you touch the handle. I think you have either one door or all doors selection in the preset unlocking function.

335xi (E90), 6MT, Arctic/Black, ZPP, ZSP (18s), ZCW, CA, PDC, i-Pod

Ordered-March 7, 2008, Arrived-on Graceful Leader April 11, 2008, Delivered April 21, 2008

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.