BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm using my spare key as I lost my main key. The key will not lock nor unlock the doors with the buttons. The comfort access will unlock the car anytime but locking it only works if I leave the car then come back it will work. I did replace the battery just for good measure. Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm using my spare key as I lost my main key. The key will not lock nor unlock the doors with the buttons. The comfort access will unlock the car anytime but locking it only works if I leave the car then come back it will work. I did replace the battery just for good measure. Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks
OK, seems like a silly question, but I've done this before. Have you tried to start your car without the spare fob present at all?

If you haven't, try it. And if the car starts, your key is somewhere in the car. Like I said, been there, done that. And it being in the car can prevent some locking and unlocking.

If it doesn't start, I don't have an immediate fix for you.

Michael

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,106 Posts
OK, seems like a silly question, but I've done this before. Have you tried to start your car without the spare fob present at all?

If you haven't, try it. And if the car starts, your key is somewhere in the car. Like I said, been there, done that. And it being in the car can prevent some locking and unlocking.

Michael
It's worth a try, but if the missing fob is in the car, then the car wouldn't lock.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It's worth a try, but if the missing fob is in the car, then the car wouldn't lock.
Actually it would with another key present. It won't lock if another key isn't present.

Example: my wife has her key in her bag. We want to lock her bag in the trunk. My key present will allow that to happen.

~M~

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,997 Posts
Actually it would with another key present. It won't lock if another key isn't present.

Example: my wife has her key in her bag. We want to lock her bag in the trunk. My key present will allow that to happen.

~M~
Good point!

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,106 Posts

~M~
Hmm...ok, I just tried this. You are right :thumbup:. But it works with the CA button, or the fob. OP, should scour the car for his other fob, though..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Michael
I lost it at the airport unfortunately.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks
Lost my key for my f36 and was using the 2nd key and encountered something similar. Didn't have any issues unlocking like u mentioned. The Car wouldn't respond to the buttons on the key fob anytime or lock when I touched the door handle.

One day I noticed when I pressed on the key fob then touched the door handle to lock the door it worked. I used the actual key to lock the car before I discovered this. Then during my scheduled service I told my service advisor and they tried to reprogram my key. It didn't work and they ended up ordering replacement key. No issues since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts