BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
<my other German
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a "new to me" 2008 550i, we're in love and the oil-leaking, rim-bending, battery-dieing, a/c breaking 545i has been successfully kicked to the curb.

The CA freaks me out. It's not an option I would have chosen. I worry about the following:

1. What if I leave my purse/fob in the car? If I accdentally touch the lock button, am I locked out?
2. Any other problems with leaving the fob in the car?
3. I read that if I don't lock the car the radio, etc. stays on? I have left the car unlocked for most of the last 2 weeks. Am I lucky to have any battery left at all?
4. What other battery-draining things do I need to look out for?
5. Any other ways I can screw up and lock the keys in? I managed to lock the keys in my 545i by opening the door w/ the buttom, placing the keys in the passenger seat, and then closing the door. It re-locked itself. Much prefer this doesn't happen again.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't worry about, it is kind of dummy proof. I locked my car one day with the trunk open, tossed in my gym bag that I had mistakingly left my keys in. The car locked, beeped and then unlocked and beeped twice. Awesome.

All your accessories shut off after 1 hour even if the fob is in the car. I have heard of some battery issues with the fob close, but I routinely leave my keys in the car overnight and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
988 Posts
1. What if I leave my purse/fob in the car? If I accdentally touch the lock button, am I locked out?
No, it can tell the fob is in the car
No.
3. I read that if I don't lock the car the radio, etc. stays on? I have left the car unlocked for most of the last 2 weeks. Am I lucky to have any battery left at all?
Press the star button button twice to instantly shut everything down.
Just don't store the key just a few feet from the car.
5. Any other ways I can screw up and lock the keys in? I managed to lock the keys in my 545i by opening the door w/ the buttom, placing the keys in the passenger seat, and then closing the door. It re-locked itself. Much prefer this doesn't happen again.)
Lock the doors, put the fob in the trunk and close it... watch what happens.

Thanks!

·
<my other German
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just don't store the key just a few feet from the car!

I normally leave the keys in the car when I'm home. Is that OK? just not a few feet away?

Thanks...

·
Registered
988 Posts
I normally leave the keys in the car when I'm home. Is that OK? just not a few feet away?

Thanks...
That would be the same thing. It may be fine, but I remember reading something about having the fob in range not allowing the car to go to sleep.

·
Registered
286 Posts
welcome to the forum, well try not to leave your keys inside the car and make sure u have an extra fob and also bmw assist is really helpful in this kinda situation u can just call them and they can send signal to your car and unlock it!! thanks and good luck :)

·
<my other German
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be the same thing. It may be fine, but I remember reading something about having the fob in range not allowing the car to go to sleep.
Rats. That's really going to be a pain in my behind if I have to bring the "keys" in the house all the time. (yeah, i know, everyone should have such problems)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Rats. That's really going to be a pain in my behind if I have to bring the "keys" in the house all the time. (yeah, i know, everyone should have such problems)
Don't accept this as a universal truth. Leave your keys whereever you want - if you don't have any problems then nothing to worry about!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Can't stress this enough - the iPod in the car is a major battery drain.
Might want to describe which way the Ipod hookup is an issue. Do you mean plugged into the lighter socket? just the aux cable plugged in? An Ipod adapter of a specific brand?

·
Registered
920 Posts

Thanks...
Same here. The key stays in my unlocked car at least 18-20 hours most days while in my garage (I'm retired so spend more than average amount of time at home). Never had a problem with my F10 or previous E60, both with CA.

·
Member Supremo
1,601 Posts
ProMed12:

For 5. what happens?

From a post i read on Mboard, that same thing happened when someone had only opened the trunk while the car was in "driver open only" with "relock if not opened in 30sec". He left the key a suitcase in the trunk, closed it, car relocked, and then he couldn't open it from the outside.. Only got worse getting his sparekey.

·
Registered
434 Posts
No, it can tell the fob is in the car
No.
Press the star button button twice to instantly shut everything down.
Just don't store the key just a few feet from the car.
Lock the doors, put the fob in the trunk and close it... watch what happens.

Thanks!
Some small additions...

3. You can either press the start button twice, or just hold it down for a couple of seconds the first time... both will shut everything down.

5. From first hand experience... put the fob in the trunk and close it, the car will beep a few times and pop open the trunk -- UNLESS your fob is in a briefcase under a laptop (where the car can't detect it), then the trunk closes quite happily and you are locked out of your car :) My big suggestion here is to have the BMW Assist # programmed in your phone... they can remotely unlock your car.

·
<my other German
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some small additions...

3. You can either press the start button twice, or just hold it down for a couple of seconds the first time... both will shut everything down.

Just to clarify, if I do that, I can leave the fob in there w/ no worries?

5. From first hand experience... put the fob in the trunk and close it, the car will beep a few times and pop open the trunk -- UNLESS your fob is in a briefcase under a laptop (where the car can't detect it), then the trunk closes quite happily and you are locked out of your car :) My big suggestion here is to have the BMW Assist # programmed in your phone... they can remotely unlock your car.
Thanks! Here's another tip from second hand experience (watched my parents do this w/ their Caddilac) If you park under a beachhouse built on concrete pillars with a concrete first floor (hurricane measures) , then the OnStar folks can't get a signal to your car to do the remote unlock. And then you have to call a locksmith...on a Saturday night...with a tropical storm coming onshore...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Thanks! Here's another tip from second hand experience (watched my parents do this w/ their Caddilac) If you park under a beachhouse built on concrete pillars with a concrete first floor (hurricane measures) , then the OnStar folks can't get a signal to your car to do the remote unlock. And then you have to call a locksmith...on a Saturday night...with a tropical storm coming onshore...
Good story to remind us that the wallet key is easy to carry. Or Many of us could stick it in our cell phone case. We never leave that behind.

·
<my other German
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More help, please:

I like to hide the keys under the car when I'm running or riding the bike. But the car won't stay locked when I do this. Any thoughts on how to defeat this CA system? Yes, I could take the fob with me, but the risk of it bouncing out of a jersey pocket or working it's way out of those tiny pockets in running shorts is higher than I like.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,630 Posts
More help, please:

I like to hide the keys under the car when I'm running or riding the bike. But the car won't stay locked when I do this. Any thoughts on how to defeat this CA system? Yes, I could take the fob with me, but the risk of it bouncing out of a jersey pocket or working it's way out of those tiny pockets in running shorts is higher than I like.
Two options:

1) Buy a valet key from the dealer and use that with the adaptor stored in the glovebox when you go on your physical activities

2) Take the battery out of the CA key fob and use the hidden key to open and lock the driver's side door. Fob will work to start the car when you insert it into the key slot. Return battery to fob when you get home.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
More help, please:

I ran into the same problem when I hike. I thought about using the valet key, but didn't want to have to mess with it every time I wanted to go on a hike; didn't think of removing the battery, but I'm not sure I'd want to be opening up my fob every weekend, particularly at over 500 bucks a pop. Ended up buying a pair of shorts with a small zipper pouch imbedded to carry the key with me. Another option would be a small fanny pack with a zipper pouch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts