BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if there is a complete manual for Comfort Access? I have a few "weird" questions about it. I have it on my car and I want to know the different ways it can be used.

For example:

How long will my car remain "on" (with the engine running) if I'm not in my vehicle? Like if a friend was in my vehicle and I jumped out at a gas station to go inside. :dunno:

In the above example, would my car shut off at some point in time or if I'm x amount of distance from my car? :dunno:

If I forget to lock my car, will it automatically lock for me? :dunno:

As well as other "stupid" questions I have regarding Comfort Access. :angel:

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
1, Don't know but I would guess it would run indefinitely. I would think the CA is to allow starting, not running.
2. No it won't lock for you. You must lock it for yourself. Safety feature.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
466 Posts
+ 1.

1. To my knowledge it will not shut off engine when you go away. Don't forget to give key to valet. They could leave without the key.
2. No. Alternatively, you can use the little ridges on the handle (not sure if 06 have them)

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
#2 - add on: if you unlock your car, but didn't open door, car will re lock in 1 min. I know my car do that.

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2. No. Alternatively, you can use the little ridges on the handle (not sure if 06 have them)
Yes, they are on the 06 as well. :bigpimp:

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would think the CA is to allow starting, not running.
But after the car was started and if I were to leave the car with the key in my pocket. Would it remain running? Could someone actually drive the vehicle? Could someone lock the doors on the inside and lock me out of the car? etc.

I'm asking just so I know what the car can actually do. I find it interesting and fun at the same time. :drive:

·
Flying monkey herder
8,173 Posts
But after the car was started and if I were to leave the car with the key in my pocket. Would it remain running? Could someone actually drive the vehicle? Could someone lock the doors on the inside and lock me out of the car? etc.

I'm asking just so I know what the car can actually do. I find it interesting and fun at the same time. :drive:
yes, yes, but if shut off, it will not restart, and yes.

if you have the key with you, the doors will unlock when you put your hand on the door handle.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
How long will my car remain "on" (with the engine running) if I'm not in my vehicle? Like if a friend was in my vehicle and I jumped out at a gas station to go inside. :dunno:

In the above example, would my car shut off at some point in time or if I'm x amount of distance from my car? :dunno:
No, the vehicle keeps running no matter how far away you take the key. It just cannot be restarted. If you're thinking "but what if I leave the engine running while I go in the store? Does that mean anyone can just jack my car and drive off?" The answer is yes.
If I forget to lock my car, will it automatically lock for me? :dunno:
No. But you can have the auto-relock feature enabled. This means if you unlock the car and do not open the doors within 30s, the car will automatically relock. However, you cannot just close the door after driving and walk off.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Does any one know if there is a complete manual for Comfort Access? I have a few "weird" questions about it. I have it on my car and I want to know the different ways it can be used.
I haven't seen/heard of a specific set of detailed instructions for Comfort Access. There's probably a BMW service manual in either printed or electronic form that is very detailed on all the nuances, but good luck getting your hands on that! When I was a teenager I worked at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership and used to peruse the service manuals, they have so much cool info I wish was published in the owner's manual.

If you have other specific questions I'd just ask them here - so far what everyone has said is correct. Except relock time. Like AzNMpower32 said, I believe it's 30 seconds.

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, if I have more questions I'll continue to post them here.

·
Registered
212 Posts
IExcept relock time. Like AzNMpower32 said, I believe it's 30 seconds.
I just picked up my 07 335i with comfort access and had some of the same questions. I found most of the answers in the owners manual. For example, you can disable the autolock feature or set the time period for multiple different durations using the BMW computer. I assume the same would be available in iDrive somewhere.

Autolock is not actually a comfort access feature, that works the same wether you have it or not. If you use the buttons on the key fob to unlock but don't open the doors within the configured time period it will lock them back up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts