Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does having comfort access mean that locking ones keys in the car is forever a thing of the past? It seems like if the the fob is in the locked car (and not in your pocket for whatever reason), it's "within range," and you should be able to touch the handle and get back in the car. No?

Second (related question): What if my wife is driving the car some day (assume Hell has just frozen over :rofl:) and is accosted by some wack job while sitting in the car in a parking lot or at the gas station. Since the fob is in the car and "in range" can he just put his finger on the door handle and open the door?

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
Nothing is idiot proof; idiots are very clever.

You could lock the car with the window rolled down, press the 1 touch roll-up button and throw the key in the car.

I'm not sure if you can just lock it and close the door. You'd think the door would unlock when it closed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
westwest888 said:
Nothing is idiot proof; idiots are very clever.

You could lock the car with the window rolled down, press the 1 touch roll-up button and throw the key in the car.
But then, since the key fob is in the car a few feet away, you could just touch the door handle and the doors would unlock because the key fob is in range, right?

·
Registered Drooler
428 Posts
There was an earlier thread on this here or at E90post. Apparently if you put the fob in the glovebox, the car doesn't know it's there so you can lock it in the car that way.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
Jim Conway said:
But then, since the key fob is in the car a few feet away, you could just touch the door handle and the doors would unlock because the key fob is in range, right?
The car is smart enough to know if the key is inside of it. So then the handles outside won't work. Otherwise you could be sitting at a traffic light and someone could walk right up and open the door on you.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Jim Conway said:
So does having comfort access mean that locking ones keys in the car is forever a thing of the past? It seems like if the the fob is in the locked car (and not in your pocket for whatever reason), it's "within range," and you should be able to touch the handle and get back in the car. No?

Second (related question): What if my wife is driving the car some day (assume Hell has just frozen over :rofl:) and is accosted by some wack job while sitting in the car in a parking lot or at the gas station. Since the fob is in the car and "in range" can he just put his finger on the door handle and open the door?
You have a better chance of the battery dying in the fob or the fob breaking altogether in which you won't be able to get in the car without keys.

So even with the fob, better have some keys handy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
chuck92103 said:
You have a better chance of the battery dying in the fob or the fob breaking altogether in which you won't be able to get in the car without keys.

So even with the fob, better have some keys handy. :thumbup:
Um...the fob has a key in it.

The doors have sensors in them, so they will only lock/unlock if the key is in a specified range of the sensor.

Ie. If me (and the fob) are standing by the trunk - only the trunk will open. The car will not unlock if someone grabs the door handle.

Similarly, if I am standing by the drivers door - and someone tries to unlock the car by touching the handle at the passenger side (say a robber) the car will not unlock.

If the key is inside - you can't lock the car using the handles.

You can lock your keys in the car but it's not somthing you would do by mistake.
You have to unlock the car, open the passenger door and cubby - lock the car (with the button on the fob) throw the fob into the BACK of the cubby (glove box) and then close the door (all very quickly) - this was the result of a lot of time...and feeling the need to "cheat" the system.

If the car is locked and you leave your keys in the trunk/boot - the car will beep and unlock the trunk.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Broken1 said:
Um...the fob has a key in it.

The doors have sensors in them, so they will only lock/unlock if the key is in a specified range of the sensor.

Ie. If me (and the fob) are standing by the trunk - only the trunk will open. The car will not unlock if someone grabs the door handle.

Similarly, if I am standing by the drivers door - and someone tries to unlock the car by touching the handle at the passenger side (say a robber) the car will not unlock.

If the key is inside - you can't lock the car using the handles.

You can lock your keys in the car but it's not somthing you would do by mistake.
You have to unlock the car, open the passenger door and cubby - lock the car (with the button on the fob) throw the fob into the BACK of the cubby (glove box) and then close the door (all very quickly) - this was the result of a lot of time...and feeling the need to "cheat" the system.

If the car is locked and you leave your keys in the trunk/boot - the car will beep and unlock the trunk.
I think I understand. So, the range is very short and, consequently, if you manage to lock the car with the fob inside, it won't unlock by touching the handle because the fob simply isn't close enough. Same thing with the robber on the outside; it's just not close enough. Is that correct?

It sounds like it's like the passcard to my office building; you have to hold it right up to the little sensor for it to work.

·
Registered
575 Posts
jim, the range for the ca is short but it's also smart. it can sense if the fob is inside or outside of the car. i once got up from my seat and the fob fell out of my pocket onto the driver's seat and when i closed the door and touched the groove to lock it, it wouldn't lock and i looked down and realize my key was inside the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Broken1 said:
Another way you can easily lock yourself out of the car is by getting out while leaving the fob on the front seat and closing the door. Then open a back door, crawl up and push the central locking button, crawl back out and close the back door. :thumbup:

CA is very thoroughly thought through. It's actually lots of fun trying to find ways to trick the car :bigpimp:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
govtec said:
jim, the range for the ca is short but it's also smart. it can sense if the fob is inside or outside of the car. i once got up from my seat and the fob fell out of my pocket onto the driver's seat and when i closed the door and touched the groove to lock it, it wouldn't lock and i looked down and realize my key was inside the car.
Now I get it:

1. For you, if the key fob is inside, it won't let you lock it from the outside;
2. For bad guys, if the key fob is inside, it won't let you UN-lock it from the outside.

You're right, that's very smart. Thanks for clarifying.

Glad I ordered it! Now I must wait for it for another two months . . . .

·
Registered
575 Posts
Jim Conway said:
Now I get it:

1. For you, if the key fob is inside, it won't let you lock it from the outside;
2. For bad guys, if the key fob is inside, it won't let you UN-lock it from the outside.

You're right, that's very smart. Thanks for clarifying.

Glad I ordered it! Now I must wait for it for another two months . . . .
I never tried 2. could somebody try it to confirm u can't unlock from outside when car is running.

·
Registered
88 Posts
govtec said:
I never tried 2. could somebody try it to confirm u can't unlock from outside when car is running.
You can unlock the car from outside while it is running IF you have the key outside the door.

If the key is inside the car - or in the slot - the door will not unlock from the outside. I can confirm this - as I have tested it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts