BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I friend of mine came over this weekend and among other things, he was showing off his new Toyota Prius. He is a gas milage freak and just loves getting 50+ mpg. The Prius is an odd looking car and is certainly no BMW but one feature that he thought was really cool was the fact that he could keep his "key" in his pocket and start the car. I told him that that BMW has that feature too but......oops, it's a $500 option on a $40,000.00+ car. His car was about 27k. There is someting wrong with this picture. I'm not a BMW basher or a whiner as some are here on this board; for the 14 days I used it in Europe, I loved it. But really, what would it have cost BMW to make CA standard, maybe $100.00? It certainly was no problem for Toyota. I loaded up my car with 9k of options but drew the line at CA. I never had it and I will continue to live without it. I'm not whining mind you, just expressing an opinion.:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
123 Posts
My infiniti has a feature like this aswell. In the comming years im sure we will see BMW offer this as a standard feature...you know its time to do so when a new subcompact (Nissan Versa) has this feature...

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
peschwartz61 said:
But really, what would it have cost BMW to make CA standard, maybe $100.00?
That's "typical Eurocar" and more typically BMW. Charging extra for everything (including the paint!) is one of those annoyances that goes back to at least end of the last ice age and the BMW Bavaria.

Honda, in particular, has discovered that it's very cost-efficient to equip all the cars it produces with certain groups of features. But that's what Honda does, and Honda is not BMW.

Measured by the performance specs and the total cost of ownership, I'd consider the Toyota Prius vastly overpriced and any BMW a screaming bargain.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Penforhire said:
Worth every penny to me. Would you prefer that they raise the base price $500 and make it standard?
I would prefer that they raise the price $250.00 and make it standard.

·
Registered
255 Posts
peschwartz61 said:
They just raised the base price by several thousands $$ and still comfort access is not free. :mad:

Sometimes you wish BMW just won't nickle and dime its customers to death.

·
Scheiße!!!
1,135 Posts
In case you didn't know it's not standard on the Prius. Your friend paid extra for it also.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
afshawnt said:
In case you didn't know it's not standard on the Prius. Your friend paid extra for it also.
It is standard on the IS350, Mazdaspeed6 and Infiniti G35 though...all competitors to the BMW 3 series. Really, is the tech so complicated it can't be installed in every car and BMW bump sthe price $75 to make up the difference?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
It is standard on the IS350, Mazdaspeed6 and Infiniti G35 though...all competitors to the BMW 3 series. Really, is the tech so complicated it can't be installed in every car and BMW bump sthe price $75 to make up the difference?
The difference is simple.

Japanese brands need every bell and whistle to move a car because the drive is, ah, shall we say, sedate.

If you want a BMW, you are going to buy a BMW regardless if it has NAV, CA, HUD, or any other option.

So if BMW is moving approx. 1 million cars per year, and the cost of CA to them is about $200, well do the math. This seemingly simple option to be standard would cost the car company $200,000,000.00. :eeps:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Save your money on Comfort Access. While convienent it is still a liablity.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6516433-1.html

Car manufactures only use 40 bit encryption. Your $50 home wireless router has more encryption than your $40,000 car.

Until they push the encryption to 128 bit or higer I'm staying away from Comfort Access.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Kindryck said:

Car manufactures only use 40 bit encryption. Your $50 home wireless router has more encryption than your $40,000 car.

Until they push the encryption to 128 bit or higer I'm staying away from Comfort Access.
This was covered in another thread. The feeling is most folks don't understand the issue so they feel there is no threat. :dunno:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting.

I don't understand nuclear fission but I still consider it a threat. :rofl:

Oh well.

The thought of paying my car manufacture $500 to make my car easier to steal doesn't compute with me.:dunno:

·
Registered
902 Posts
peschwartz61 said:
I agree with you. BMW piecemeals their customers to death with extra options. But that's the "price you pay" as they say.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
:rofl:
Kindryck said:
Interesting.

I don't understand nuclear fission but I still consider it a threat. :rofl:

Oh well.

The thought of paying my car manufacture $500 to make my car easier to steal doesn't compute with me.:dunno:
:rofl: I work in security for a large telecom. When the article about CA came out, a bunch of us got together for lunch one day. We came to the conclusion that with our existing cell phones, a modified chip here and there, we could have a cell phone or some small wireless device capable of hacking CA in short order. I am sure you will be able to get them at Radio Shack before long.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Kindryck said:

So they steal the car...soooooo. It's a car. Take it. I have insurance for that. Nothing keeps a person from stealing a car.

·
Banned
6,126 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
So they steal the car...soooooo. It's a car. Take it. I have insurance for that. Nothing keeps a person from stealing a car.
To me though it is what is in the car...if my sticks were in there or my laptop that is what I would care about...part of the reason I try to never leave my laptop or golf clubs in the car...:eeps:

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
Penforhire said:
Worth every penny to me. Would you prefer that they raise the base price $500 and make it standard?
What, exactly, is so great about it? You still have to carry it around,right?

·
Registered
470 Posts
chuck92103 said:
This was covered in another thread. The feeling is most folks don't understand the issue so they feel there is no threat. :dunno:
That wasn't my feeling. I believe I understand the threat, I just don't see it as a big threat, and my car is covered by insurance.

You're right, though, it was discussed at great length in another thread.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Easier to steal? Have you ever watched a modern thief in action? I've seen three different AAA tow truck drivers break into modern cars for their owners in seconds flat. With barely more high-tech tools than the old coat hanger.

Not getting CA because you're worried about high-tech thieves? Give-me-a-break!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
It's not standard on the G35! It's part of the Premium Package B.

Come on...it's only a $500 option. What's the problem?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.