Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The keys on my 2014 x1 no longer work properly. I have checked the batteries on both fobs and they test fully charged. I currently have to open the car using the pull out key. The car starts fine when I put the fob in the key slot in the dashboard.

I have heard there is a second battery that may need to be replaced. I see nothing about it in the manual and all battery related searches only address key fob replacement.

Can anyone provide more info for a newbie?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Brakeshoe,

You may need to "re-initialize" your comfort access key fobs. That happened to our '13 e84 / X1 3.5 MSport last year and it's an easy process. I'll have to hunt for the thread that was posted and when I find it I'll edit his with the information.

HERE IT IS - give this a try:

"try inserting the keybob into the keyfob slot. start the vehicle. turn off and try again. this sometimes reset the keyfob system"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still no luck

Tried new batteries and no difference.

Tried the procedure mentioned above and no luck. Just to reiterate, I inserted the fob in the ignition and started the car. Then turned the car off without removing the fob and restarted the car. When I tried the fob again it still did not open the door.

Open to any other suggestions. Also want to try and verify that there is no other "hidden" battery somewhere in the door that needs replacement.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,179 Posts
A hidden battery might be specific to the X1 sub forum but none of the other BMWs CA work that way.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
BMW fobs have 2 separate circuits. One circuit is for the remote lock/unlock function. The battery in the fob powers this circuit. The other is for starting the car. The car powers this circuit via an antenna in the dash. Neither circuit knows the other circuit exists.

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
Hey Brakeshoe,
I have a 2012 1'er with CA. Not sure if I can help, but lets try a few things, please advise on the following things you have or have not treid

1> Please Replace the Battery again, buy a 2 pack, of a good, known make, check the dates on the package, do the below tests, with the 1st battery only, then swing around do the 2nd

2> With the key near the handle (in your hand) when you press the door handle (any of them) does the door pin pop-up and unlock

3> THEN wrap your hand on the handle thumb on the raised section , does the door unlock

4> Get in and sit down, keep your keys on your lap or on the console

5> Can you start your car with the stop/start button without the key fob inserted in the slot

6> Does the "no key sign" come up and say remote start cant be done with a chime

7> Initalise the key as per the previous poster

8> Repeat steps 1-6

9> Replace battery for 2nd battery repeat steps 1-6

10> Try a reboot, open bonnet, pull battery negative , leave disconnected for no shorter than 1 hour

Suspects usually are

1< Batteries
2< Faulty key fob or needs reprogramming (if you have MORE than 1 key, this is not it)
3< Faulty CA door mech (depends on your answers)
4< Faulty DME/Computer that contols the CA
5< Codeing or programming or re-flash of the car software maybe needed

I often have "glitches" with mine from the door not opening to it saying the car won;t start
always with me it's the batteries

pls reply and lets see if we can help

The keys on my 2014 x1 no longer work properly. I have checked the batteries on both fobs and they test fully charged. I currently have to open the car using the pull out key. The car starts fine when I put the fob in the key slot in the dashboard.

I have heard there is a second battery that may need to be replaced. I see nothing about it in the manual and all battery related searches only address key fob replacement.

Can anyone provide more info for a newbie?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts