BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 540xi M Sport / Premium / Driving Assistance Plus / Parking Assistance
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I have read about comfort seats has been overwhelmingly positive. So I'm trying to figure out why I just can't get comfortable in them.

To me, it feels like there is a metal bar running across the middle of my back, below the shoulder blades. I can't get rid of this feeling no matter how I adjust the incline or the upper shoulder support.

Are there any "tricks" to using these seats to their fullest potential?

·
Don't be a left lane hog
3,189 Posts
Did you play with all the controls?
Is the lumbar support pushed all the way out and moved all the way up?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Maybe if ya grew/shrunk a couple of inches, lost/gained some weight, or as Asteroid said, play with all the buttons and then give it some time. Nobody can tell you why YOU are not comfortable. :dunno:

DJ

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
With the number of adjustments at your disposal, you ought to be able to get it to fit your body. You might even schedule a visit with the dealer as they might be able to help you.

How tall are you? How much do yo weight? Do you normally have back issues? Just curious....

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
These are the most amazing seats I have ever sat in. The fact that you can adjust the upper shoulder area in while the lower area stays fixed allows the seat to fit you like a glove. These seats have probably ruined me for any other car. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm average height and average weight.

I don't like any lumbar support so I deflate it as much as possible and push it down pretty low. I haven't tried moving it up. I don't normally have back issues, and in fact, I was pretty comfortable in the standard seats of the 535xi that I drove for a few weeks.

My main issue seems to be the mid-to-upper back area. I tend to sit pretty far back with a steep recline (such that the passenger behind me has very little legroom). My shoulders don't make contact with the seat and my head is not close to the headrest. If I move the shoulder adjustment forward to support my upper back and shoulders it becomes irritating. Maybe that's the proper adjustment and I'm just not used to it.

I also think I'm psyching myself out a bit, adjusting the seat pretty much every time I get in the car. I guess I will just give it some time...

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
When I first got mine, I couldn't adjust the lumbar support to a comfortable position at all. I dealt with it for a while, but then figured out that you can effectively make it feel like it has moved further back by reducing how far the entire seat back is inclined.

I made the seat back a little bit more vertical and now the lumbar support feels perfect. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Took me a while to find the sweet spot, but now that I found it, it is amazing! I use to have back issues when in the car for a long time, and now that is a thing of the past. My drive to vegas a few weeks ago was the most relaxing comfortable drive ever.

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts

I don't like any lumbar support so I deflate it as much as possible and push it down pretty low. I haven't tried moving it up. I don't normally have back issues, and in fact, I was pretty comfortable in the standard seats of the 535xi that I drove for a few weeks.

My main issue seems to be the mid-to-upper back area. I tend to sit pretty far back with a steep recline (such that the passenger behind me has very little legroom). My shoulders don't make contact with the seat and my head is not close to the headrest. If I move the shoulder adjustment forward to support my upper back and shoulders it becomes irritating. Maybe that's the proper adjustment and I'm just not used to it.

I also think I'm psyching myself out a bit, adjusting the seat pretty much every time I get in the car. I guess I will just give it some time...
I'm average height and weight also. I don't use the lumbar. When you first move the upper shoulder area forward, it does take a few days to get used to it. I love it now. I have never had a car where my head could actually touch the headrest and still be able to drive. It is so relaxing now, I could probably doze off it was dark and I was sleepy.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had the same troubles although in the lower lumbar area. My problem was bad posture. Took some time, but I'm all good with it now. I do think it is important to have the headrest near your head...I've read that it should be within an inch or two of the back of your head to provide adequate protection in case of an accident.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It takes some time to find a good spot...just keep playing with the adjustments. use the memory keys to find a good reference point, then fine tune from there.

Once you ride in a non-comfort seated car, you can't wait to get back in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey comfort seaters,

After you've found the sweet spot, does the memory retain all 10 settings - or just those it retained with the standard seat?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hey comfort seaters,

After you've found the sweet spot, does the memory retain all 10 settings - or just those it retained with the standard seat?
It retains all settings. And when I turn the car off, the side bolsters open up, and when I start the car, they go back to where I had them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First I'd like to say that COMFORT SEATS ARE THE GREATEST TECHNOLOGICAL ACHIEVEMENT OF BMW, I mean for long drives in a 530XIT it feels like im sitting on air.
Second the issue with seat is that for some indivi. like myself had some getting used to it, kinda felt weird having so much comfort. But after a while you get used to it.
SO TAKE THE DIVE AND FEEL THE COMFORT OF SITTING ON AIR!

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts

I don't mean to nitpick, but, in general, this is not a very good posture to maintain adequate control of the car.

Proper settings are roughly this:

1) Move the seat forward until you can put the clutch pedal flat on the floor, with your heel touching the floor as well. If you have a slushie, you should be able to put your foot flat on the floor behind the brake pedal.

2) Set the height so your head is roughly your fist's width from the roof. You may be able to go a bit lower, as this rule usually stated as a fist's width between your racing helmet and the roof.

3) Set the recline and the steering wheel until your wrists touch the wheel when your arms are outstretched. Your elbows will be bent about 90 degrees when you grab the wheel at 3 and 9.

4) Adjust the headrest so that it is nearly touching your head, and so the top is at or above the top of your head. This is for safety reasons; it will stop a nasty case of whiplash in an accident.

At first this position will feel a bit cramped, but I suggest that you try it for a few days. Once I got used to it, I've found it to be much less tiring on long trips, in addition to offering better control of the car.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
iversonm's advice is very good. I got a similar article from Mike Miller at Roundel. One of the things is that people tend to sit too far and recline too much.

of course, the lumbar support factory setting from BMW is set way too high.

·
Registered
425 Posts
With the amount of combinations of seat positions, you will eventually find the ticket.

Otherwise I don't think there is much better seats out there.

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
iversonm's advice is very good. I got a similar article from Mike Miller at Roundel. One of the things is that people tend to sit too far and recline too much.

of course, the lumbar support factory setting from BMW is set way too high.
Yes, this is also what they teach at the Performance Center when you take delivery or take a driving school. I see people sitting too far back and too low every day. I've seen people in cars whose seat is so low, I don't see how they can see over the steering wheel. The most common problem though is people sitting too far back.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Proper settings are roughly this:

1) Move the seat forward until you can put the clutch pedal flat on the floor, with your heel touching the floor as well. If you have a slushie, you should be able to put your foot flat on the floor behind the brake pedal.

2) Set the height so your head is roughly your fist's width from the roof. You may be able to go a bit lower, as this rule usually stated as a fist's width between your racing helmet and the roof.

3) Set the recline and the steering wheel until your wrists touch the wheel when your arms are outstretched. Your elbows will be bent about 90 degrees when you grab the wheel at 3 and 9.

4) Adjust the headrest so that it is nearly touching your head, and so the top is at or above the top of your head. This is for safety reasons; it will stop a nasty case of whiplash in an accident.
Thanks a lot ... this is kind of what I was looking for. I can tell you that sitting this way is going to feel very cramped for me based on how I have been driving for the past 20 years but I'm going to give it a go. It makes sense, because when I drive cars with a manual I always have to sit further up than I'm used to in order to properly control the clutch.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One more detail on the subject of "proper" seat adjustment:

Is there any convention for how to set the angle of the seat (not the recline) or is it just a matter of finding a comfortable position?

Also, it would seem that with this adjustment technique, the extending thigh support will probably not be useful ... unless maybe for very tall drivers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts