BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are 2 pics I snapped with my Cannon powershot when I did my valve cover gaskets over the summer. I have always liked automotive pictures. Would a tripod help with some of the blurriness in the right side foreground? Or is that just because my camera was focused on the left side? Comments and critiques are welcome as always. Thanks.

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
Nice shot but a tripod wouldn't help. A smaller aperture would but being you used a P/S I'm not sure how you can coax it to stop down :dunno:
Edit: maybe if you used the landscape mode? (if the camera has one)

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice shot but a tripod wouldn't help. A smaller aperture would but being you used a P/S I'm not sure how you can coax it to stop down :dunno:
Edit: maybe if you used the landscape mode? (if the camera has one)
Yes, the camera has landscape. I need to become more familiar with what modes are appropriate for what scenery, backround, lighting, etc. Photography is becoming a bigger and bigger hobby of mine, I find myself taking pictures of everything. I think soon I should invest in a nice camera with some different lenses and stuff.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
I wouldn't invest in a new camera until you nail down the basics.

Smaller apertures will give you deeper depth of fields, in other words, in your pics above, the stuff in the back ground would be as sharp as the stuff in the foreground.

I probably would've shot that at f11 or f16.

Small apertures let less light into the camera, so a slower shutter speed becomes necessary - that can be a problem when hand holding a camera. Image stabilization works wonders in this regard, though - I can hand hold down to a second.

However, without IS, figure 1/30th is about the limit for hand held shots.

If your camera has an aperture priority mode - select the aperture, the camera will select the proper shutter speed for you.

Ed

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I like the black and white version, and the short depth of field. The use of contrast and DOF to isolate the chain, and its dominance in the foreground, really highlights it; yet there is enough background to provide context. The angle works well.

The bar in the front is a bit distracting, though. Not sure what you can do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts