BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm spending more time here because I bought an E90.

I wrote the doc below (and updated it) for the E60 forum to (1) educate newbies and (2) reference useful resources for all of us. It also helped me learn while I wrote it. Got downloaded about 32,000 times.

The E60 and E90 are very similar, so I edited it to be a doc for the E90 as well.

If anyone would be willing to take a walk through it and comment on corrections and enhancements, I'd really appreciate it.

Note that it grew organically over 4 years, so there's redundancies. I'll probably edit those out over time. Always welcome corrections --

Thanks!

Banglenot.

Attachments

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,380 Posts
Couple of quick ones:
  • You don't even mention the N55 engine that I can see.
  • I'm guessing you're doing US only, as the N43, N45, and N46 4-cylinder engines aren't mentioned.
  • You talk about the M54 engine. I don't believe they were ever offered in an E90.
  • In a similar vein, don't forget the S65 in the M3 (although you do wave off references to the M3 in the document).
  • Diesel? Was is das? ;) But if you do get into the 335d, be prepared for a long section on carbon fouling in the M57. I think they did finally get past the "needs a new intake / pull the cylinder head" stage, but it's an ugly topic IIRC.
  • You spend a lot of time talking about the ZF, but it's only in perhaps half of the cars. You should clarify it's in the 335 versions (and a few very early 328i cars). On page 16, you call the GM transmission "less common". That's not really so, as it's very common, in just about every 328.
  • Don't forget the DCT in the 335is (and the M3, even though it's not in scope).
  • Is there a fluid change interval for a manual transmission mentioned? For that matter, is the fact that some cars had a manual transmission mentioned?
  • 8k oil changes are common (I did mine every 7.5), but the E90 factory recommendation is a nominal 15k and runs off a CBS prompt. Mine used to ask for an oil change about every 20k miles.
  • Page 20: "Twin turbo". More correct would be "twin turbos" on the N54 and a "two stage turbo" on the N55.

FWIW,
George

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Couple of quick ones:
  • You don't even mention the N55 engine that I can see. Will be added.
  • I'm guessing you're doing US only, as the N43, N45, and N46 4-cylinder engines aren't mentioned. Yes, I have been focused on the US, in order to limit variables.
  • You talk about the M54 engine. I don't believe they were ever offered in an E90. Correct. Leftover from their offer on the 2004-5 E60's Thanks
  • In a similar vein, don't forget the S65 in the M3 (although you do wave off references to the M3 in the document). Agreed, though I deliberately passed on the M's to manage document scope.
  • Diesel? Was is das? ;) But if you do get into the 335d, be prepared for a long section on carbon fouling in the M57. I think they did finally get past the "needs a new intake / pull the cylinder head" stage, but it's an ugly topic IIRC. We made a practice of sending diesel enthusiasts to the Diesel forum, since there was almost no expertise among the E60 members. Once past the actual engine, the rest of the car was mostly the same as the petrol version.
  • You spend a lot of time talking about the ZF, but it's only in perhaps half of the cars. You should clarify it's in the 335 versions (and a few very early 328i cars). On page 16, you call the GM transmission "less common". That's not really so, as it's very common, in just about every 328. Thanks! It'll be a good area to explore. There were no GM's on the E60's, My 07 328 E91 has a GM, and I'll be very interested in how it's different.
  • Don't forget the DCT in the 335is (and the M3, even though it's not in scope). Got it.
  • Is there a fluid change interval for a manual transmission mentioned? For that matter, is the fact that some cars had a manual transmission mentioned? Got it.
  • 8k oil changes are common (I did mine every 7.5), but the E90 factory recommendation is a nominal 15k and runs off a CBS prompt. Mine used to ask for an oil change about every 20k miles. Noted. I'm one of those who does 8-10K and ignores the CBS. Others follow the CBS. I'll note both (though Miller at Roundel is pretty adamant about disagreeing with BMW's 15K recommendation).
  • Page 20: "Twin turbo". More correct would be "twin turbos" on the N54 and a "two stage turbo" on the N55. Agreed.

FWIW,
George
Again, thanks. That's the kind of feedback that makes it better. With four distinct platforms (E90-93) instead of 2, and 3 petrol engines, no N62 variants and many more manual transmissions, it's an interestingly different car than the E60's.

Question -- does the E90 series get the headlight wire rot that is common in the E60?

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,380 Posts
Question -- does the E90 series get the headlight wire rot that is common in the E60?
I have never heard of that. However, there was a rash of "light out" pop-up warnings on E90s, with no light actually being out when you checked. On mine (E92), it turned out to be a level of corrosion in one of the rear light sockets causing an excessive resistance reading on the self-diagnostic. The rear light cluster ended up needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, good info.

I'll likely drop the Hella wire rot thing from the final doc.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Second Review Draft

Here's the second review draft of "So You Just Bought an E90".

Thanks to Zooks for his comments.

Further comments are welcome, thanks!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts