Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a member of this forum for 2.5 years, I feel that creating a dedicated thread like this would help prospective owners and current owners find answers without having to use the search function to a common issue. Plus, it would be a lot more convenient to find the answers immediately.

Okay, onto the topic of this thread.

What is the N62 engine? It is a naturally aspirated V8 engine created by BMW in 4.4L and 4.8L forms(for North American models). This engine can be found in the following models:

2002-2005 745i, 745Li

2006-2008 750i, 750Li

2004-2005 545i, 645Ci

2006-2010 550i, 650i

2003-2006 X5 4.4i, X5 4.8iS

2007-2010 X5 4.8i

The engines perform well, but they do have a number of common issues, which include but not limited to:

Leaking: valve cover gaskets, upper timing cover gaskets, alternator bracket gasket,

Valve stem seal failure

Coolant transfer pipe seal failure

Secondary air system failure(limited to models with N62B44 4.4L engine).

Others are welcome to add if I missed any issues regarding the N62 engine. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
302 Posts
common issues? This motor is the sole reason i will never buy another v8 powered BMW, Besides making decent power, these things are crap, expensive as hell to fix, and not very friendly to the DIY'er. Trying to troubleshoot one of these things yourself is going to put you out of a lot more $$ than you think you are saving. Best bet is to roll in to the stealer, bend over, and spread em wide. Hopefully you know a good indy that specializes in BMW.

·
BMW Rookie
161 Posts
The motor seems to be an old Northstar design, it has potential, and should be pulling a little over 380hp. The air pump yada yada, the intake manifold, and the Vanos system is crap.. If we could get an updated Intake manifold, and air pump mor or delete with a new efi mapping that be awesome...Meanwhile id like to slap a SRT8 or SRT10 Mopar...lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
Northstar, funny you should bring that up. Another overcomplicated motor to steer clear of. I LOVE Cadillac and fantasized about having one since i was 5! No chance in hell i'm touching anything with a north star in it.

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
common issues? This motor is the sole reason i will never buy another v8 powered BMW, Besides making decent power, these things are crap, expensive as hell to fix, and not very friendly to the DIY'er. Trying to troubleshoot one of these things yourself is going to put you out of a lot more $$ than you think you are saving. Best bet is to roll in to the stealer, bend over, and spread em wide. Hopefully you know a good indy that specializes in BMW.
It is not as hard as you make it out to troubleshoot, you just have to think like a German engineer. It takes time to understand their software logic, but very interesting once you understand it. They are a PITA to work on, that is the hard part. :mad::mad:

·
Registered
302 Posts
it's not a matter of difficulty to troubleshoot, but there are a lot of things that are unique to this motor, and a lot of parts that will need re programming if they are removed. Lots of stuff that you would end up in the shop for if you started trying to fix. There are also a lot of things that need to be done a certain way, and not the way you would do on any old car. If you dont do it the way the n62 likes, it's gonna break again a month later.

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
There are not many things to do out side of the box, on the N62 engine. Simple programming or remapping of the engine would become very expensive, & and there is a lack of aftermarket parts to support the positive gains. The only positive move for HP on a E63 or E64, is a move to the M6.

·
BMW Rookie
161 Posts
Well back to topic..

The common problems with the N62 engine are:

1. The Alternator oil seal
  2. The leaking Coolant resovoir
  3. The small coolant recovery hose on top of the rad
  4. The peep hole leak by the water pump on the engine block
  5. The diaphrams on the valve covers
  6. The dreded valve stem seals
  7. The valvetronic motor malfunction
  8. the bad oil pump caused by bad LOF service

If you guys have others in mind please add.. 023-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

3kh9.png

pic01.jpg

n62-engine.jpg
023-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

3kh9.png

pic01.jpg

n62-engine.jpg

$_35.JPG

All-German-Auto-N62-valve-stem-oil-leak-repair-kit-parts.jpg

ASMBMW6208-4.jpg

BMW-Valvetronic1.jpg

v8n62-coolant-leak-042412-2.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The common problems with the N62 engine are:
  1. The Alternator oil seal
  2. The leaking Coolant resovoir
  3. The small coolant recovery hose on top of the rad
  4. The peep hole leak by the water pump on the engine block
  5. The diaphrams on the valve covers
  6. The dreded valve stem seals
  7. The valvetronic motor malfunction
  8. the bad oil pump caused by bad LOF service
OK Guys, I'm puzzled. My 07' has 77k miles on it. I drive about 12k miles a year. Had the car for 3.5 years so about 40k +- miles on my dime.

Other than the Mechatronics sleeve that was replaced under warranty, I have had ZERO issues. Really, none. All I have done is change the oil about every 5-6k miles, change trans fluid at 60k, brake fluid at 60k and changed the PS fluid at 60k, and a battery.

All of my expenses have been in upgrades, not repairs. :thumbup:

So maybe it would help if any complaints/comments about the N62 engine had a year, mileage and trans type. We all know the SMG trans can be a challenge.

I know I'm not alone, several members have had cars well in to the 100k zone with good success and reasonable costs.

I'm just wondering why cars some seem more problematic than others. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
I suspect that most of the cars we have purchased were off lease. A leased vehicle is usually not taken care of as well as a purchased vehicle. 5k oil changes along with good PM's, go a long way into taking care of the engine & tranny. Gary has a very good plan!

·
Registered
5 Posts
4.8 ltr owner

I do see allot of negative comments. Unfortunate.
In April 2016 I purchased a 2007 650 convertible with the 4.8 & 54,000 miles. I wanted a convertible, possibly a Mercedes SL. I settled on the 650 for the back seat, for what its worth, lol. I had wanted for a rag top for years but I got an interest in BMW only lately.
I truly love the car. But haven't had it long. There are many reasons to like it but one of my biggest is the motor/drive train. The motor has plenty of torque and feels like an old american big block to me. Not what I expected and love it every time I press the accelerator. I am approaching 70k and so far so good on the motor.
I will keep everyone posted.
Greg

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with Roeng, my 2009 650i has around 55K miles on it, and no real issues. Like him, around 50k miles, I replaced the radiator fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and routine oil changes. The only "problem" I've had to fix was when my oil pressure sensor finally died a month ago... a $20 fix (and that included new gaskets for the vacuum pump).

that said, I would like to replace my transmission fluid, as my shifting feels sluggish at times. I'd also like to replace the solenoids and various gaskets that are prone to go bad in these transmissions over time. The main thing holding me back is the PITA protocol for adding fluid back in... I'm not looking forward to crawling under a car while it is running and in Drive.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Too bad this thread took an election season like turn immediately.
I think the couple of posts that list weaknesses cover it.

FWIW, I've had my 07 650 since 2009. I bought it after a fallen tree totaled my 88 635csi and my partner begged me not to buy another old car when I started searching for a replacement. You could say I'm a fan of the big BMW coupes. I wanted a low mileage non rust belt 6 speed so the search took several months and some travel. I ended up finding what I think is a rather cool and hard to find equipment list (6 speed manual, pearl leather, HUD, night vison, whatever the upgraded sound system was called) on top of the sport and cold weather packages. It had 13k miles at the time, it is now at 60k, not a daily driver, mostly used on long highway trips (regular 220 mile drives and covered 800-900 miles per day several times).

I'm a believer in a old school type of maintenance schedule so it has has no oil change interval longer than 7500 since I've bought it, manual trans and diff fluids changed at 30k miles and again just now at 60k, power steering fluid at 35k, plugs and belts just changed at 60k. Coolant is every four years, brake fluid, air and pollen filters every 2 years.

As far as repairs I had a failed sill plate light replaced under warranty, there was the brake booster recall, and I think another recall related to battery cables. Out of pocket repairs have been the IVM which cost $100 and some of my time searching for cause of issue and an hour to DIY replace. I replaced the battery and it's on its third set of tires. Due to highway driving and stick shift the brakes are still original as are all suspension parts.

So far it's been an awesome car. Not cheap because I don't do all the maintenance myself, I use dedicated BMW shops, and I only buy Michelin or Continental tires, but the actual repair cost for a non wear items over seven years has been a whopping $100!! What's not to love?

I know it will eventually have leaks, but I am monitoring the situation and I will bite the bullet when the time comes. It will be cheaper in the long run than depreciation on a newer 6 series or equivalent, and I'm fairly attached to this car.

Everyone will have a different experience with their E63/4, but I fall under the no regrets category.

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
I agree with Roeng, my 2009 650i has around 55K miles on it, and no real issues. Like him, around 50k miles, I replaced the radiator fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and routine oil changes. The only "problem" I've had to fix was when my oil pressure sensor finally died a month ago... a $20 fix (and that included new gaskets for the vacuum pump).

that said, I would like to replace my transmission fluid, as my shifting feels sluggish at times. I'd also like to replace the solenoids and various gaskets that are prone to go bad in these transmissions over time. The main thing holding me back is the PITA protocol for adding fluid back in... I'm not looking forward to crawling under a car while it is running and in Drive.
As long as you use a lift or a good set of jack stands, it is not to bad. It is a 2 person job to get it done correctly & fast, without making a mess while adding the fluid. I think that a hydraulic quick connect with a 90 degree fitting would be a good thing to install. This way you could use a quick connect that will close off after adding the fluid, & have better access to connecting your pump to the quick connect. Adding a regular 90 degree fitting with a plug at the same level, will still give you better access to installing the plug. You just need to make sure to keep the fluid level at the same height.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
My thanks to the OP, carraz, and a couple of others. I do find this thread helpful. It should be pruned of comments about the quality of the engine, and then posted as a sticky. It can be enlarged to include discussions of maintenance schedules (as Fredo has done), and more detail on the common problems and what they cost to fix.

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My thanks to the OP, carraz, and a couple of others. I do find this thread helpful. It should be pruned of comments about the quality of the engine, and then posted as a sticky. It can be enlarged to include discussions of maintenance schedules (as Fredo has done), and more detail on the common problems and what they cost to fix.

Glad to hear that this has helped you out.

Whenever I google search "BMW N62 problems", this thread becomes one of the first results. :thumbup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2009 650i with about 60k miles bought CPO post-lease with 33k miles. Here's a list of N62 powertrain issues:

1. Two upper timing cover leaks, fixed under CPO warranty. Valve cover gaskets replaced in process.
2. New transmission, replaced under CPO warranty.
3. Leaking brake vacuum pump, warranty.
4. Leaking alternator gasket, replaced under warranty.
5. Bad pre-cat oxygen sensor, replaced DIY, about $100.
6. CCV valve replaced DIY, about $20.

Other non-powertrain issues:
1. Stuck CD changer cartridge. Fixed DIY.
2. Stuck center console. Resolved itself.

The car is a beast. Just took it on a round-trip to Houston last weekend cruising at ~80MPH and got 24+MPG. That's pretty amazing for an engine that big/powerful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much power can the N62 handle?

Hey everyone, I have been reading these forums for over three years now. I have an 05 745i with 92,500 mi on it.

I already fixed all the issues that goes wrong with this car, & now im in the upgrading stage. I already put BC Racing coilovers on it, AFE Stage 3 cold air intake, AFE throttle body spacer, Chipped with to OBD2 for additional 42hp, 37tq, dual in dual out cat back flowmaster exhaust, slotted rotors, replaced transmission, drained then filled fluid 3 times, replaced rear end fluid with Red Line fluid.

But i want more power. From my calculations i should be making 400 hp to the engine. Im also on 22in rims.

Being that this car is roughly 5000lb, its not enough power for me. Also this is my weekend car, so I drive it hard when I bring it out, be looking for a street race lol.

I'm thinking about adding nitrous to it, but not sure what this engine can handle before I destroy something. The kit I'm looking at is a NX wet up to 150 shot. I was planning on using the 100 shot tip.

So does anyone know for a fact can this engine handle 500hp? Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
^^^^Put nitrous on the car, and soon after it will be on a flatbed going to the junkyard. Seriously, why would you want to push a car to do something it's not good at?

Do yourself a favor, but a 3-series and take it to the track and eat Porches.

Back to the engine,,, yep it is a beast. It sounds/burbles like an old 70's muscle car (I have cat back exhaust), makes good torque down low, but it also has top end. Unlike the muscle cars, the Beemer makes power all the way up to 6grand. Who said vanos was crap?---lol. That combined with TC/DTC means you can WFO from mid corner w/o worries. In the wet, it does a great job of keeping the rear end from stepping out too much. And the greatest thing, you can turn all that electronic nanny **** OFF. :thumbup: That's a beastly car imo.

·
A BMW *****
289 Posts
I found this thread to be somewhat informative. I sense the engine is, for the most part, a strong dependable engine. Compared to other engines in this arena, it ain't bad at all. I notice there is much complaining about things OTHER THAN the engine. Drain tubes, failing water pumps, alternator this and booster that.

I offer you this: other than the common issues which would include leaky valve covers and timing chain covers it seems to hold up well. I cannot speak to valve guide issues. Mine is a 2009 650i with sport package. All the issues, except for the water pump, I've fixed. Transmission issue, thruster bushings, vacuum pump leak, gaskets, spark plugs, fluid changes... All done. Zero issues. But, I paid to get it this way just like Treyopound305. Even threw on a set of cross-drilled rotors, Hawk pads and BC coilovers.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts