BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been very vocal about ditching run-flats for non run-flats and carrying a compact spare in the trunk for road trips, even for cars with a 3rd row.

Wife, baby and sister in law are going away for the weekend. This picture shows the compact spare (fully inflated), with tools fit nicely in a plastic bag.

Also in the trunk are:

1. 2 piece baby stroller
2. Large picnic quilt
3. Graco Pack n Play
4. Flat bag containing a Baby Bjorn and dining table lobster claw
5. Plastic Fisher Price high chair (green bag, moved to the left to show the spare
6. And a bag of chips

... pretty much the spare takes up 1/3 of the space under the cargo cover. Picture speaks louder than words, more than enough space left for 3 weekend bags and a misc bag of kids stuff.

Again all this fits UNDER the cargo cover. I will move the green bag on front of the spare, which creates even more room. Also note the 40/60 passenger side seat back is jacked all the way back for the kids seat in row 2. There will be more room if it's normally upright

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Would you please share the compact spare details? Where did you get them? I will be getting DWS06 in few months and thinking about getting the compact spare for long trips.

BTW, lucky guy... taking the SIL with you... I wish I have one...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you please share the compact spare details? Where did you get them? I will be getting DWS06 in few months and thinking about getting the compact spare for long trips.

It's the standard OEM compact spare with OEM scissors jack. Bought it used from this forum for about $160 IIRC. Decided not to buy the full kit and skipped on the crank handle and foam holder, and I saved a ton of money, I believe all in, I spent about $250, all of which I an get back when I resell it.. Here's the full kit...the pieces are cheaper if you slowly put them together.

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?pa...qWTOkftOCoqy2gK9AvmcGGidGzb7WLJ6IjhoCWcbw_wcB

SIL is the defacto nanny, thank God we have one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did you not buy it new? The space saver spare was only a $150 option on my 2013 and it mounts underneath the floor of the cargo area. It was a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you not buy it new? The space saver spare was only a $150 option on my 2013 and it mounts underneath the floor of the cargo area. It was a no-brainer for me.
Correct. All 3rd row X5s do not have the trunk floor space for spare. The 3rd row goes there. So only way to do a spare is straight into the trunk. Personally, I would never carry that spare everywhere around town even stowed

·
Registered
237 Posts
This will sound dumb.... The rear seat reclines?.... I don't spend much time back there but thought it does not move, only folds forwards...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks for the info. I would look for some used one. I just need one in case of emergency.

It's the standard OEM compact spare with OEM scissors jack. Bought it used from this forum for about $160 IIRC. Decided not to buy the full kit and skipped on the crank handle and foam holder, and I saved a ton of money, I believe all in, I spent about $250, all of which I an get back when I resell it.. Here's the full kit...the pieces are cheaper if you slowly put them together.

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?pa...qWTOkftOCoqy2gK9AvmcGGidGzb7WLJ6IjhoCWcbw_wcB

SIL is the defacto nanny, thank God we have one.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts

I just got one:
1. Got wheel in local BMW dealership (Winslow BMW Colorado Springs) for $106.
2. Got Dunlop tire 155/90 D18 M in Discount tire for $132.50 with installation and balancing.
3. Did not get scissor jack etc. have bottle jack and breaker bar in the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got one:
1. Got wheel in local BMW dealership (Winslow BMW Colorado Springs) for $106.
2. Got Dunlop tire 155/90 D18 M in Discount tire for $132.50 with installation and balancing.
3. Did not get scissor jack etc. have bottle jack and breaker bar in the car.
Should the spare also get balanced? I always though vibration occurs over 60mph but the spare is only rated for 50mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts