BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An optimist, perhaps it’s possible that BMW will listen, learn and take heed to better serve their customers. Unfortunately, as suggested by many, they probably don’t really give a d___. (After all, everything is favorable and going well for BMW at this time.) Well, to tell my story, I ordered my car on 3/6/2002 with the completed build date of 4/2/2002. (Reasonable expectation so far, huh? ) Now comes the real problem, unfortunately the d___ car was built in South Africa and for the life of me, I am not certain that SA is a real BMW manufacturing facility. Why, the car was released to a shipping line on 4/11/2002 and then nothing happened until 4/19/02. (Ouch, not exactly a credible accounting for time value of money). But wait, it gets better. On 4/22/2002 BMW’s brilliant expeditors (or perhaps because it is a SA assembled vehicle) decided to ship the car to Germany. (This seems silly, since it rightfully belongs on its way to the USA). Please don’t leave me now, unfortunately, it isn't over. I am now told that tracking the vessel is impossible because the car is aboard a Japanese carrier, however, not to worry because it is expected to arrive in the USA on 5/23/2002. Now comes my good fortune, a call from BMW today informed me that the delivery center will be in a position to deliver my car ordered on 3/06/2002, no later than 6/06/2002. Service for the customer, you gotta love it!!!!!
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
I'd like to say something here but that would guarantee me getting my behind kicked off of here.

No offense, but you're barking up the wrong tree.
 

·
•••••••
Joined
·
16,117 Posts
I hear you, HACK.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what this guy is so upset about.

All SA-built bimmers are shipped to Germany prior to being shipped stateside. This is well known to anyone who does a little f'ing research on the net.

As we all know, SA-built Bimmers have no history of build problems, or any other problems not inherent to the German-built cars, despite the fact that this guy probably thinks it'll come with chicken bones and watermelon seeds in the trunk.

Three months from order to delivery is the norm. It's what I was told to expect when I ordered my Munich-built 330.

This guy has his panties all in a knot over complete non-issues.

Take a valium, dude, and get your mindset out of the 18th century.
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Plaz said:
I hear you, HACK.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what this guy is so upset about.

All SA-built bimmers are shipped to Germany prior to being shipped stateside. This is well known to anyone who does a little f'ing research on the net.

As we all know, SA-built Bimmers have no history of build problems, or any other problems not inherent to the German-built cars, despite the fact that this guy probably thinks it'll come with chicken bones and watermelon seeds in the trunk.

Three months from order to delivery is the norm. It's what I was told to expect when I ordered my Munich-built 330.

This guy has his panties all in a knot over complete non-issues.

Take a valium, dude, and get your mindset out of the 18th century.
Well said! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I vented, you listened, but your comments are less than accurate.

Truism1=Some cars built in SA are shipped direct to the USA. (per BMW Customer Service)
Truism2=Not true that 90 days is normal. (72 days is normal)

Sorry folks, you missed the point again!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Re: I vented, you listened, but your comments are less than accurate.

jcolange said:
Truism1=Some cars built in SA are shipped direct to the USA. (per BMW Customer Service)
Truism2=Not true that 90 days is normal. (72 days is normal)

Sorry folks, you missed the point again!!!!!
Actually, Jim, I think you missed the point. 325i are built in SA, that is a fact. If you want a 325i, there is a very good chance it will be built there. SA built 325i can take MORE than 90 days to ship. Send a few feeler threads on some of the message boards. The longest delivery time I found for a SA bimmer was 4.5 months. Mine took 2.5 months. I do not think that BMWUSA makes any assurance on any delivery time, so what is 'normal' is immaterial, unfortunately. All delivery times are estimated.

Believe me, I FELT your pain. There were people on this board that ordered their cars a few days from when I ordered mine - and they had theirs WEEKS before mine got off the boat. However, good things will come. Personally, I am glad I waited. If you can't wait, get your deposit back. You will have to buy something else. Something off the lot, perhaps a Honda Civic? Ooo, no - a Ford Taurus. You can have those cars immediately, no wait.

You mentioned that you were suprised BMW has a plant in SA. I don't quite know what response you expected to get. A little searching would show you how volitile that subject is. Overall owners has said the SA 325i are every bit the equal to German 325i. Perhaps superior. As a matter of fact, my dealer said that people have requested SA built 325i!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Wow!

Can I get some cliff notes? :tsk: And, I thought my posts were long winded.

What we have here is a classic case of the salesperson not managing expectations very well. Think back to your first bimmer. What was the first thing the salesperson said when you said you didn't like the cars on the lot and wanted to order one?

Expect 2-3 months!

Poor guy, salesperson probably told him it'd be there in a few weeks.

But jeez, oh no it sat waiting for the next boat for three whole days. Gosh! What'll it be next?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
SA makes great products....

Have you ever been there??? Were not talking about the northern jungle areas of Africa. A lot of great German Engineers hid there before the end of WWII

Could be worse, your car could have been made in America by lazing, overweight American workers. :lmao: :lmao:
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Re: SA makes great products....

DougDogs said:
Have you ever been there??? Were not talking about the northern jungle areas of Africa. A lot of great German Engineers hid there before the end of WWII

Could be worse, your car could have been made in America by lazing, overweight American workers. :lmao: :lmao:
What, the X5 has something like 150 problems and complaints for every 100 cars built/sold and you immediately jump to the conclusion that American workers are lazy and overweight?! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Just as a comparison...E46es are something like 12 complaints per 100 if I remember correctly.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top