BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have seen this before but couldn't find in my search. This evening I went to open my car and had to use the key. Nothing would work - remote, emergency key, door locks, ..... no signs of trouble before and nothing operating in the electrical outlets. Car locked just fine when I left it so all components should have turned off.

I called BMW Assist and they sent out a truck. Surprisingly, jump start worked and after going through a "reset" period all seemed to work fine. I drove it to the dealership (tow truck followed for a while) and they traded me for a convertible loaner (nice on a hot summer day) and will look at it tomorrow. It started right up at the dealership - absolutely no signs of battery weakness during the drive or restart.

Anyone have a similar problem? What was the resolution?

I have a March '06 325 xiT Sport Wagon - this was my first problem in 4500 miles.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Psych-oh!
6,343 Posts
I had that problem with my E46. After dealing with it for 2 years with no resolution, I got rid of the car. I hope you have a different outcome than I did.

·
Ich liebe mein BMW
3,776 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resolved?

Dealer had the car for two days and found nothing. Ever since the original jump it has worked fine. :dunno: Checked for draws, shorts, loose connections, and found nothing.

Oh well, I got the telematics campaign done (though they didn't give me my free gas :mad: ) - told that to the company that called two days letter to see how satisfied I was.

Jim
2006 Electric Red 325xiT

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have had a similar problem twice. First time, the fob would not start the car - silence when button pushed. Insert, remove, a few times, jiggle the lever to be sure that it is firmly in Park. Then everything is fine. That was a month ago.
A couple of days ago, the remote will not work at all, after parking the car and returning 15 minutes later. Open the car with emergency key, stick the remote in the slot for about two seconds, observe that everything lights up, pull out the remote and now try it and find it locks, unlocks, etc., etc., car starts and runs fine. I am using my second remote, and will be bringing the 'bad' one to the dealer to examine next Tuesday. Anybody want to bet they find nothing wrong? My personal feeling is bad electrical contact inside the device or defective battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts