BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Complete Guide to 2013 Diesels

5288 Views 29 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Pasa-d
Hot off the press...

New Diesel Car Lineup for 2013: Preview and Report

By Dan Collins
Not terribly long ago, September marked the start of the new automotive model year. Manufacturers would show off their new models and new features and the previous year's models would be discounted to clear space for everything new. While things have become more fluid as competition among manufacturers has increased, …
Read the full story »

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
I will be damned if Cadillac beats BMW by offering Duramax. I personally wants to see Skyactiv-D 2.2L diesel engine in US.
Audi, VW, and Mercedes are pushing hard for diesels now. BMW has to match them to stay #1.

I doubt Mazda can do it. They are bleeding money and even Honda/Acura stopped trying. All the Japanese makers have promised us diesels, but never have followed thru with them. Only the Germans have put their products where their mouth is. Same thing with the Americans, let's see.

I want to see a diesel JGC, ATS, and Cruze.
....and all those folks sell diesels overseas! Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia and on and on. What we also need is a light duty (half ton) diesel pickup -- that gets about 30 mpg. It would sell like hotcakes!:angel: Coming back from Mendocino last week end I was behind an ancient Datsun small diesel pickup from long ago. It was beat up but seemed to run just fine and was not a smoker either. They just run and run.
^ I've been a fan of the VW Amarok or Toyota Hilux
For those that don't know what AutoUnion is referring to, an Amarok is a VW pickup that has the Touareg V6 diesel in it. I saw one driving between Dallas and Houston with a Mexican plate on it. Can a Toyoya Hilux be brought into the states? In other words are they sold in Canada? I work with a guy with an isuzu trooper that was originally regestered in Texas but he got a Canadian diesel engine for it from a canadian diesel trooper. Texas has no emissions check for diesels (why i don't know?) so he is legal.
None of those companies have invested in R&D for DPF, SCR and other technologies to be able to sell them in the USA/CA, and coming soon, the EU. Notice this statement in the partnership press release: " In addition, the BMW Group and Toyota Motor Europe entered into a contract under which the BMW Group will supply highly-efficient 1.6 litre and 2.0 litre diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe, starting in 2014."

One thing that annoys me is that no one is really talking about selling a 320xd wagon, or X1d xDrive or A3d Quattro, etc., in the US anytime soon. Only big, honking cars and SUVs.
....and all those folks sell diesels overseas! Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia and on and on. What we also need is a light duty (half ton) diesel pickup -- that gets about 30 mpg. It would sell like hotcakes!:angel:
Mercedes displayed a diesel hybrid E Class at the Detroit Auto Show last January that gets 4.2 litres per 100 kilometers...which is about 55mpg.It's being sold in Europe,why not here???
That is not actually legal because his VIN in the inspection computer will say he has a gas engine. Inspection guys probably are looking the other way but might be in a world of hurt of DPS is doing random monitoring on them. This of course assumes the DMV has no provisions for an engine type swap. Of course of the Trooper is really old vehicle then he has no worries anyway.
For those that don't know what AutoUnion is referring to, an Amarok is a VW pickup that has the Touareg V6 diesel in it. I saw one driving between Dallas and Houston with a Mexican plate on it. Can a Toyoya Hilux be brought into the states? In other words are they sold in Canada? I work with a guy with an isuzu trooper that was originally regestered in Texas but he got a Canadian diesel engine for it from a canadian diesel trooper. Texas has no emissions check for diesels (why i don't know?) so he is legal.
My guess is it will not pass emissions. Or they can only produce so many.
Mercedes displayed a diesel hybrid E Class at the Detroit Auto Show last January that gets 4.2 litres per 100 kilometers...which is about 55mpg.It's being sold in Europe,why not here???
Schwarzenegger took delivery of his diesel Unimog last Thursday. It's pretty amazing what vehicle can pass emissions, especially CA's stringent standard. :dunno:

My guess is it will not pass emissions. Or they can only produce so many.
And the standards a sedan has to pass v. a heavy vehicle I'd imagine are drastically different. So not sure that says anything as to why the E diesel hybrid does not make it over here.
"Audi***8217;s midsize A6 and large A8 sedans will hit showrooms for the 2013 model year with a more powerful twin turbocharged 3.0-liter six, as will the midsize Q5 crossover."

I believe this is not entirely true - I do not have deep knowledge about Audi, but I think 3.0 TDI US spec will be single turbo
The Terminator in a UniMog! I love it. Actually I have seen several Mog's around, all belonging to some gov't agency or other -- fire, etc. They must have different rules for that kind of tactical/service vehicle.:dunno:
Remember amigos TRUCKS do not have to pass the same emission stabdards than say our cars. They are regulated different, and YES I would love an AMOROK in my drive way also!!

Read this!!
And what about here in the States? VW spokesman Mark Gillies: "VW of America has absolutely no plans to sell the current version of the Amarok in the U.S."

Here's some links:

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/amarok-range/amarok/overview/

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/31/volkswagen-seriously-considering-amarok-pickup-for-canada/

I love this one:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...es-and-a-roll-bar-2012-geneva-motor-show.html
Yup, new 3.0TDI is a single turbo unit. It was incorrectly said to be twin-turbo. Audi has a twin-turbos in Europe that iare powerful as the N57 and the new engine in the M550d.

Q5 is getting TDI for MY14 and Audi has gone on record to say the A6 and A8 are coming for MY13. We just don't know when.

The A6, Q5, and A8 will have awesome engines throughout their lineup.

A6: 2.0T, 3.0T, 4.0T (S6), 3.0TDI
A8: 3.0T, 4.0T, S8, TDI, Hybrid, W12
Q5: 2.0T, 3.0T, TDI, Hybrid
"Audi's midsize A6 and large A8 sedans will hit showrooms for the 2013 model year with a more powerful twin turbocharged 3.0-liter six, as will the midsize Q5 crossover."

I believe this is not entirely true - I do not have deep knowledge about Audi, but I think 3.0 TDI US spec will be single turbo
Are the A6, A8, and Q5 all getting the exact same TDI that the MY 2013 Q7 has?
Yup, new 3.0TDI is a single turbo unit. It was incorrectly said to be twin-turbo. Audi has a twin-turbos in Europe that iare powerful as the N57 and the new engine in the M550d.

Q5 is getting TDI for MY14 and Audi has gone on record to say the A6 and A8 are coming for MY13. We just don't know when.

The A6, Q5, and A8 will have awesome engines throughout their lineup.

A6: 2.0T, 3.0T, 4.0T (S6), 3.0TDI
A8: 3.0T, 4.0T, S8, TDI, Hybrid, W12
Q5: 2.0T, 3.0T, TDI, Hybrid
Yeah, it's shared throughout their lineup, like the 2.0T, 3.0T, 4.0T.

The sweet spot for that engine is definitely the Q5 3.0TDI. 240 hp, mid-to-high 30s highway, under $50k.
Are the A6, A8, and Q5 all getting the exact same TDI that the MY 2013 Q7 has?
The Q5 with that motor is why I was asking. Definitely will have a nice power to weight ratio with some great mpg. Now how it ultimately drives will just have to be determined by a test drive whenever they show up.
Yeah, it's shared throughout their lineup, like the 2.0T, 3.0T, 4.0T.

The sweet spot for that engine is definitely the Q5 3.0TDI. 240 hp, mid-to-high 30s highway, under $50k.
I think Audi is saying MY14 for the Q5 3.0TDI, so mid-next year. :mad:

Makes no sense to me because a Q5 TDI will sell much better than the A8 or A6. Who doesn't want a fuel efficient crossover?
The Q5 with that motor is why I was asking. Definitely will have a nice power to weight ratio with some great mpg. Now how it ultimately drives will just have to be determined by a test drive whenever they show up.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.