Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an American that will work in Europe for the next several years and am interested in saving $35k or so by exporting an E90 (back to Europe after doing ED). After keeping the car in the States for 6 months under my father's name, the car can then be exported and registered in Poland. Polish law allows individuals with Polish citizenship to import cars that have been registered in their name in a different country for a period of 6 months without paying the ridiculous European taxes.

Can someone provide information on whether or not...
...the US software can be changed to a different country/language. I would like to have software upgrads and doubt that European dealers can upgrade US software.
...if the turn signal on the tail lights needs to be orange in Europe.
...if it is possible to transfer the US warranty; if not, can I purchase warranty from a dealership?

Of course, any additional concerns are welcome.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,336 Posts
BMW taken out of the country of purchase are subject to the BMW International Warranty (12 months/no maintenance). Please note that the warranty offered in every country is not a BMW AG warranty but provided by the local importer.

Aside from the rear amber turn light you will have to disconnect the amber front side markers. IIRC the rear red side reflectors are also illegal in the EU (amber reflectors are allowed), so the whole rear light assembly will have to be replaced.

Rear foglights will have to be activated via software update (not available in the US) and the dashboard foglight switch replaced.

These are some of things I remember my sister had to do to her Jeep Grand Cherokee when she took it to Spain for a few years and registered it there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts