BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I performed a dry compression test and received some wild results.
1-159
2-189
3-190
4-161
5-209
6-230
7-179
8-179
I have been doing some research and I have yet to find any results that compare to these. I don't want to start jumping to conclussions so I thought I would start here and get some feedback. Please.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor isn't running as well as I think it should. I have rough idle and have been having huge amount of blue exhaust smoke. I recently changed my ccv, vcg and oil pan gaskets, I am also having huge amounts of oil consumption. 1qt per every 300-400 miles.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
...Does the motor run fine?
devouley, I thought you were going to stop initiating a new thread with every latest post. If you had posted in your previous thread, Domingues wouldn't have had to ask about how your car runs.

With that out of the way, I don't know how you performed the compression test, and so it raises a couple of questions. Did you perform it exactly the same way on each cylinder? I don't know how you numbered your cylinders, but were all the lowest readings on one head?

What did the spark plugs look like, especially the ones from the cylinders with the lowest reading? Were they wet with anything?

A difference between the highest and lowest readings 71 lbs. (30%) is way abnormal. The readings in a healthy motor shouldn't vary more than about 10%. If you did the tests correctly, you're probably going to need to remove at least one head.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to admit I do remember stating that and I have become so enrossed with this car that it completely slipped my mind. This whole ordeal is driving me crazy. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in the middle of nowhere and have to try to fix everything myself. To answer your questions, yes I performed the test the same way on every cylinder. I tested each cylinder, one after another, starting with the first in running order (1-being the cylinder closest to you if standing at the front of the car and on the passenger side). The plugs with the lowest readings seemed to have a more noticeable amount of build up and some wet oil on the threads (not so much on the tip).

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.