Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do U share Internet with Windows XP PC without Router & extra NIC?

I have a windows XP PC with [email protected]

I dont have a router(only a hub)

I want to put my laptop on the Internet too.

I dont have a router though.

Is there software to share one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
I'm not up on XP, but I imagine you could use a 10/100 ethernet switch, and enable Internet Connection Sharing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,204 Posts
geomax said:
I'm not up on XP, but I imagine you could use a 10/100 ethernet switch, and enable Internet Connection Sharing.
Its actually easier, just buy a NIC card.

So your tributary computer will have one nic card, give it an IP address and a gateway

your main computer, install two NIC cards, one on the DSL or whatever, and the second, give it a gateway the same as your other comp, and a ip address one number off. You can use the main computer as the router. There is software you will need I think, but someone else can help me out on this please.. I havent done it in a LONG time, but I know it works


Actually that way is cheaper, not easier. Router is the easiest way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
dredmo said:


Its actually easier, just buy a NIC card.

So your tributary computer will have one nic card, give it an IP address and a gateway

your main computer, install two NIC cards, one on the DSL or whatever, and the second, give it a gateway the same as your other comp, and a ip address one number off. You can use the main computer as the router. There is software you will need I think, but someone else can help me out on this please.. I havent done it in a LONG time, but I know it works


Actually that way is cheaper, not easier. Router is the easiest way.
If he's running NT4 or 2000 Server, this will work, but this setup limits him to just the laptop. A router or switch allows for more expansion, and will work with many operation systems without added software.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
I'll have to check when I get home (approx. an hour) but I think the program I used to use was WinProxy it had a green box as the icon :O) I'll let you know when I get home, I used to share everything with this program until I got a cable modem and 4 port d-link cable router :O)
 

·
aka Chi-chi
Joined
·
199 Posts
I've used both Internet Connection Sharing and a router. The router is much easier and doesn't require the "master" computer to be on. Linksys has several nice routers. Try a wireless router if you want the ultimate in in-house accessibility and mobility.

In fact, for a laptop I think a wireless solution is a must have. The older wireless standard (802.11b) is fairly cheap right now. You can get a Linksys wireless router for about $130-140 plus $35-45 for an 802.11b card. There might even be some cheaper ones on sale.
 

·
TMS
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
RO 330i said:
How do U share Internet with Windows XP PC without Router & extra NIC?

I have a windows XP PC with [email protected]

I dont have a router(only a hub)

I want to put my laptop on the Internet too.

I dont have a router though.

Is there software to share one?
You have two choices, you can either have your pc act as a router or you can buy one.

If you have your pc be the router, then you will need a total of 3 NICs, your hub, and router software (actually Network Address Translation service software, or NAT). XP has internet sharing software built into it, but I don't know if all computers using that feature are required to be running XP. You'll need to research that. I have used Sygate as the NAT service in the past, but I abandoned that in favor of using a hardware router. Sygate had a free version at the time, but it looks like that has changed. Anyway, one PC would have 2 NICs, one for the broadband connection and another for the local network, and which would be connected to your hub. Put the third NIC in your laptop and make sure it connects to your LAN. Sygate has a pretty good tutorial on their site talking about how to do all that.

Alternatively, you buy a router and connect it to your hub. The router will provide DHCP (automatically configure your client PC IP addresses) and NAT services.

I personally prefer the hardware router solution. It's cleaner and cost-wise it's probably close to being a wash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
DOI - with this thread, I realized I had bought a LinkSys DSL/Cable router with 4 port switch some time ago, but it got buried when we moved.

I just dug it out, and for kicks, installed it. Took 10 minutes to setup and configure, mostly due to the auto-config CD-ROM that came with it....hehe...thats cheating - but hey, easy is good.

The router has an integrated 4 port switch, so I can hook up 4 PC's. The router serves as a DHCP server, so you only have to config the PC's as clients. Config them as workgroup, and you can then share files, printers, etc. I think the whole kit cost about $100 bucks.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top