BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a used 2005 330Ci ZHP which has Alcantara/Cloth. I haven't actually seen the car in person yet as it is several hundred miles away, and I haven't ever seen the Alcantara/Cloth upholstery in BMW's that I've looked at in person as well.

I just test drove a 330Ci ZHP that had leather but had the Alcantara steering wheel. The steering wheel was quite nasty - it was really worn and torn up looking. That made me concerned about the durability of the Alcantara/Cloth upholstery. Is it going to last a long time? Is the steering wheel made of a different quality Alcantara? Anybody actually not like the Alcantara/Cloth upholstery?

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Dunno about the seats (I have leather) but my Alcantara wheel is also pretty sleezy looking near the bottom.

Search for this, there are a few threads on this subject in general, not specifically on the seats that I know of; this may be because not that many ZHPs were spec'd by dealers with Alcantara seats.

·
meroglot
12,906 Posts
Alcantara wears prety well on the seats, but takes a beating from all the sweat/oils from the hands. FYI, alcantara can be washed with a mild soap and water combo.

·
ZHPper
2,128 Posts
I have alcantra and it's holding up quite well. I don't know what you guys do to the steering wheels, but mine is still perfect. From my long experiences with 3 series leather, the cloth/fake Italian suede is going to last just as long or longer. I like it... comfy in the summer and winter.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The seats hold up fine and so far, so has my steering wheel. But I have seen some pretty worn steering wheels, which some dealers will replace for free under warranty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I've never seen the Alcantara/Cloth in person, how exactly is it configured? I mean, is part of the seat Alcantara and the other part "cloth"?

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Alcantara is simply a bad idea for a steering wheel on a production car. Mine is nasty, and attempts at cleaning it have just made it look more worn, so I've given up.

The alcantara interiors I've seen look like they've held up pretty well, since they don't get the handling that a steering wheel does. ZHP alcantara interiors, in particular, do well since the inserts are cloth. I have seen a couple of alcantara headrests that looked disgusting however...if you use a lot of product in your hair beware. :eek:

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
philippek said:
Alcantara is simply a bad idea for a steering wheel on a production car. Mine is nasty, and attempts at cleaning it have just made it look more worn, so I've given up.

The alcantara interiors I've seen look like they've held up pretty well, since they don't get the handling that a steering wheel does. ZHP alcantara interiors, in particular, do well since the inserts are cloth. I have seen a couple of alcantara headrests that looked disgusting however...if you use a lot of product in your hair beware. :eek:
Your steering wheel may be nasty because it was palmed by a greasy lawyer for a while. :eeps:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Since someone ask it again so I post my own experience and advice again. I hope it is helpful and not too boring:
I have an experience to clean my ZHP alcantara steering wheel. so just want to share. I supposed to ask dealer to change a new steering wheel for me, but i got the denial answer. I tried my best to shop around the auto shop, carpet shop for a cleaner. Luckly, I found a suede cleaner in Playless shoe store. It is a foam can with a brush on the top. Then I went to Champ sport store to find a suede cleaning bar and brush. The suede bar look like an eraser. OK, now, I am going to tell step by step to clean the alcantar wheel.
1. Use the suede bar rub on the wheel, you will see some little *********** come out, just use gentle pressure. do not rub hard. work a small area first to test the result.
2. use the soft brush to brush the wheel surface. DO NOT use the one came with the spray can. That one is hard for your wheel. Brush very lightly. Work on a small area first.
3. Use a small handheld vaccum machine to suck all dirts and dust up.
4. Spray the suede spray foam (the one from paylesss shoe store) on the wheel. Then use only soft cotton cloth to clean the wheel surface. After that you should see the wheel is little hairy. But it is ok.
5. After it dry about 30 mins. you need to use your hand to grab the wheel and rub on the wheel surface lightly, those hairy material will be push flat again on the wheel.
6. After cleaning, your alcantara wheel willl look a little darker than before and feel very very good. Try it !
7. remember do not use any water or any cleaning solution on alcantara wheel, only use the quick dry foam for alcantara or suede material.
The professional cleaner called SONAX made in germany for bmw, porsche and mercedes alcantara materials. Only can order online.
This is my personal experience and is not a professional advise. But I did it. It works and the result is very good

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.