BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only is this service a complete rip off the service is very poor!.
You buy a $70,000 535 xi with no spare and purchase the additional service (concierge).
Your in this situation: 6 pm you get a flat and you heading north to New York from Pennsylvania. You need to be in albany this same night. You call bmw and your only option is to tow the new BMW 39 miles south to the closest dealer. You insist your going north. Finally ok but its $100. They State they have emergency valet and would take me for a rental car to the nearest airport.
I cancelled a $23 uber as the called us a cab. That was $75. The enterprize car was a "Kia" $426 to drive 90 miles. I purchased tire and wheel damage but still had to pay $116 for a new tire as New York charges more then the PA dealer.
So after 3.5 hours it cost me $717 for a flat tire and was never so embarrassed and humiliated. Complained to BMW and they did think they did anything wrong. They sent me $100 as the tow was told would be free but nothing else. The most concerning was they never said "Sorry".
Mercedes will be my next vehicle for 2017.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mercedes

I have only heard good about Mercedes service. Thats what its all about. I own a restaurant and have to kiss butt everyday. When you get treated as I did by BMW there's no going back. I owned 9 Volvo's through the years and swore by them and the volvo customer service. I thought I would move up to BMW as they are favored at a better vehicle. Volvo has always stood behind me. Never a issue. Bmw is just in the market to improve the bottom line not the service.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know if MB is really any better. Last year I followed an MB wagon that had the message in white vinyl letters on the rear window, 'my crappy car with crappy service'.

Tom

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did the flat occur with standard, factory installed, run-flat tires? If yes, you could have simply continued slowly to your destination. If not, you knowingly changed to non run-flats and never purchased a spare. How is that BMW's fault? Sounds like they did the best they could to help you nonetheless. You can expect worse from Mercedes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree with OP.
At least based on his facts.

Concierge is sold, at least as i understood it on my new 2016, as help in a bad situation, including flats, wrecks, etc.

OP paid an outrageous amount imho, but worse, no concern for his needs.
This IS the result of BMWs choice in training concierge support staff.
One can give more if one chooses. While i speculate, i cannot imagine there is so much concierge traffic that there is a loss issue. More likely of those of us that have paid for years with no use is the norm.

The rental......well i cant comment on the price or if bmw should have supplied transport....
If bmw decides to use run flats and subject its buyers to potential issues with them
, they should support the customer, beyond any technical issues. This on the basis of PAID "support".

If ther is an exception, like non warranty issues, those should be addressed after support is rendered, imho.
Again, on the basis of a paid service claiming support.

The issue is customer service, with BMWs name on it, not some generic call center.

Are you saying OP is required to drive even if he feels it inadvisable or unsafe?
Or that he ought to know where the nearest dealership is at all times?
Sounds like a spare is the best customer service.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,480 Posts
If you look at what Concierge service is, (I just googled it) it does not say very much about roadside assistance, which is a different service. Concierge is mainly information, restaurant or hotel booking, etc. I have never had it becuase it seemed way overpriced.

Here the OP seems most upset at the price of the cab and the type of rental car he was offered. But roadside assistance (even without Concierge) is supposed to provide an assistant who can help with arrangements for alternate transportation including rental car if you are 100 miles or more from home, reimbursing up to $1000. The OP did not say how far he was from home, so I don't know whether this would apply. If so, the taxi and rental car expense should be BMW's. As for the tire, I don't understand why there should be any charge at all if OP had tire and wheel insurance. The net should be zero charge.

But why would the OP feel humiliated or embarrassed? Angry maybe, and frustrated, but nothing to be embarrased or humiliated about. Any time you have a flat is a PITA, with or without BMW helping you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds like a spare is the best customer service.
Whilst I'm not a great fan of rft tyres there's there's no way I'd want to be changing one of those wheels by the size of the road, they weight a ton, and I doubt that many ladies would be able to even lift one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Whilst I'm not a great fan of rft tyres there's there's no way I'd want to be changing one of those wheels by the size of the road, they weight a ton, and I doubt that many ladies would be able to even lift one.
concierge versus roadside....good point, but one would think that the former is trained in the latter?

as for RFTs
they are indeed heavy. quite.
right pita, when I loaded my mounted
snows. and I have arthritis.....which can make lifting and gripping things more than difficult at times.

otoh, Id happily change one, out in the middle of new mexico, Colorado, Utah, and my other hiking haunts rather than wait hours, and, have to leave the car......thirty minutes tops......and on my way.
at least with RFTs, one can drive far enough to select a relatively safe area to change tires, provided one has the tools and spare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts