Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my MY2020 530e and I want to be sure this isn't caused by a setting I need to tweak...

I keep my car in "Auto" and I don't have recirculation turned on. I operate the AC the same way I did on my MB. But unlike my Mercedes I'm noticing condensation more often than I ever did on my Mercedes. Usually it is a foggy driver and passenger window, but today it was really bad.

In this scenario I had driven the car for about 10 minutes to a local store and since it was pretty hot out I kicked off the preconditioning from the ConnectedDrive app while in the store. When I returned to the car all windows were fogged out.

I thought the car would have a sensor to detect condensation and pull it out of the air similar to my older Mercedes. What's going on here?

Photos - 2 of 2.jpg

Photos - 1 of 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
That's strange, since I've found BMW to be much, much better about condensation than MB. My ML used to fog up all the time.

Is the A/C button also lit? What part of the country?

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's strange, since I've found BMW to be much, much better about condensation than MB. My ML used to fog up all the time.

Is the A/C button also lit? What part of the country?
Yep. AC button is lit. In Southeastern PA.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Feel your carpets around the tunnel up front, the low points, and by the firewall, make sure you don't have any damp there. If you do, you have some kind of a leak or some drain plugged, and that will cause excessive condensation. This car should not have this problem that bad unless you keep getting water in there some other way.

·
dce
602 Posts
Is the condensation on the inside or outside of the windows?

I could see how a nice, cool, preconditioned interior could make the windows cool enough that the hot muggy air would condense on exterior (particularly if you parked out of the sun) but agree interior condensation makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I am in dry Arizona but I have never seen this and like you I normally just leave the car in auto (exception: after a long time parked in the sun I put it in max for a few minutes before returning it to auto). I definitely think you have something wrong there.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Yeah...I'm curious if the condensation is on the inside or outside of the glass.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Probably a combination of several factors. Temp difference between glass and air blowing on it and the humidity levels. Turn recirc off, keep AC on, turn temp up a bit, set it to defrost for a 30 seconds and it should go away.

Not a lot of humidity around here but it's happened on my sadly departed X5 when driving through a snow storm with humans and dogs in the car. I little AC non recirc action and voila, gone.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the condensation on the inside or outside of the windows?

I could see how a nice, cool, preconditioned interior could make the windows cool enough that the hot muggy air would condense on exterior (particularly if you parked out of the sun) but agree interior condensation makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
It was inside. Though this was the worst I had seen it. Usually I'd get back to the car on the hot and humid days like that and I'd have between 25 and 50% of the front driver and passenger windows foggy from condensation.

Probably a combination of several factors. Temp difference between glass and air blowing on it and the humidity levels. Turn recirc off, keep AC on, turn temp up a bit, set it to defrost for a 30 seconds and it should go away.

Not a lot of humidity around here but it's happened on my sadly departed X5 when driving through a snow storm with humans and dogs in the car. I little AC non recirc action and voila, gone.
I keep the AC on, auto, and recirculation off as a matter of course due to habits from my MB.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
On my e70, the broken condensation sensor threw a code. No fogged up windows since in the wet winter NW Europe climate. Ever.

I heard somewhere that scorching sun can fry that sensor.

Did you check for (bmw) codes?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,546 Posts
I'm guessing the culprit is the pre-conditioning. Since your motor isn't running, I don't think your condensor / evaporator are either. So you are blowing moisture-laded outside air onto the windshield, which is still cold from running the A/C. Moisture hits cold glass, the glass is below the dew point, and it condenses. the law of unintended consequences at work.

In the old days (pre-COVID) I would have run an experiment: Let the car sit in the sun for hours at the Commuter Rail, so that the windshield was the same temp as the ambient air, then use Connected Drive to start the blower. My hunch is that the ambient air would be the same temp (or maybe cooler than) the windshield and there would be no condensation. (I can't remember ever having the problem on my 2017 "back in the day" when I commuted to work.

But much as I like you, I'm not going to jump on a train now just to help a brother out. If you want to run the experiment, you're on your own.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm guessing the culprit is the pre-conditioning. Since your motor isn't running, I don't think your condensor / evaporator are either. So you are blowing moisture-laded outside air onto the windshield, which is still cold from running the A/C. Moisture hits cold glass, the glass is below the dew point, and it condenses. the law of unintended consequences at work.

In the old days (pre-COVID) I would have run an experiment: Let the car sit in the sun for hours at the Commuter Rail, so that the windshield was the same temp as the ambient air, then use Connected Drive to start the blower. My hunch is that the ambient air would be the same temp (or maybe cooler than) the windshield and there would be no condensation. (I can't remember ever having the problem on my 2017 "back in the day" when I commuted to work.

But much as I like you, I'm not going to jump on a train now just to help a brother out. If you want to run the experiment, you're on your own.
For the 530e it does run the AC or Heater (as needed) during preconditioning so it isn't just blowing in outside air.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,546 Posts
Well then, as Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind".

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Still, I wonder if the pre-conditioning runs it in "full" mode, if you will. It's been super hot and humid in the NE. I know at least when ASS activates, the intensity of the A/C becomes much less, and as a result, will allow more humidity. As we've seen from the performance of the A/C system, the Germans seemed to code it to operate as if the German climate existed everywhere.

Is there any change if you don't pre-condition the car?

·
Registered
243 Posts
:)

I saw her one person show on Broadway. She was a comic genius who died way too early!
Indeed. Her book, written just before she passed, was titled "It's Always Something"--Bob

·
Happily Driving
6,993 Posts
I am having an issue with my MY2020 530e and I want to be sure this isn't caused by a setting I need to tweak...

I keep my car in "Auto" and I don't have recirculation turned on. I operate the AC the same way I did on my MB. But unlike my Mercedes I'm noticing condensation more often than I ever did on my Mercedes. Usually it is a foggy driver and passenger window, but today it was really bad.

In this scenario I had driven the car for about 10 minutes to a local store and since it was pretty hot out I kicked off the preconditioning from the ConnectedDrive app while in the store. When I returned to the car all windows were fogged out.

I thought the car would have a sensor to detect condensation and pull it out of the air similar to my older Mercedes. What's going on here?

View attachment 904291

View attachment 904293

Let us know what the diagnosis from your dealer is. No modern car should fog up like that with the settings as you described them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I precondition my 2019 530e all the time in the hot humid Texas weather and have never seen any condensation buildup. When I get into my car after preconditioning it certainly feels like the AC has been running on MAX including the seat coolers as everything is quite cold. What you are experiencing is definitely not normal and should get checked out ASAP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts