Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone sent me a PM a few weeks ago asking me to "come on down" and introduce my newbie self to you fine folks. Well, I finally noticed someone had sent me a PM this morning.:tsk: Better late than never, I guess.:rolleyes:

I'm Cliff and I am a soon to be first time BMW owner. As you have no doubt gathered from my sig, I have a 330Ci on order that is in transit at this point. The link in my sig will take you to a page I have put together to collect my thoughts, pictures, links, and whatever else I find interesting as I go through the experience. I am buying the car from East Bay BMW in Pleasanton and John Alastra is the salesman I am working with. So far so good.

I I fell head over heels in love with the E46 coupe as soon as I saw one, but it took me a more than a year to decide to buy one. BMW appears to have improved the car over that period of time, so I guess waiting was a good thing. My first mod will likely be a high performance driving class, but I have to go for a road trip and get the new car through its break-in period first. I may get some moderate window tint (I hear Formula One is a good choice?) and sways, but I like the stock sheetmetal just fine.

In terms of the cars I've owned, I am currently driving a 1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD that has taught me that I'm really not a truck kind of guy. Prior to that I have owned: 1991 Honda Accord EX, 1982 VW Scirocco, 1978 Honda Civic, 1972 Saab 99E, 1971 Fiat 124 Coupe and 1965 MG-B. The MG was my first car and I bought it in 1972 when I was 16 or 17. The Honda Civic was my first new car purchase. I tend to keep my cars if I like them and if they're worth keeping. I expect the new Bimmer will be a keeper.

I am a reformed smoker and I quit a 27 year cigarette habit nearly 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did for myself. I replaced smoking with bicycle riding and in the process of having a lot of fun I lost 40 pounds and got fairly fit. I have a bicycling page on my web site that has a lot about my riding experiences, my bikes, etc. Last summer I crashed hard while descending a mountain and shattered my wrist. It has healed about as much as it ever will, but my mind has a ways to go yet. Unfortunately, I still like riding up mountains very much. Coming down again remains problematic due to my nagging fears, so I am not riding as much this year and only have 800 miles in my log year to date compared to slightly over 2000 miles on this date last year.

Professionally, I am a software architect for an insurance company in San Francisco. I have been in this line of work for 15 years or so. I am a dog owner and have a sweet little English Cocker Spaniel named Melody (aka: Sweetie, Cutie, etc.) who just turned 9. Anything else you want to know, just visit my web site or ask me.

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
Hi Cliff,

Congrats on your BMW. Sounds like we have similar age and history, except I still haven't kicked my smoking habit (although I never smoke in my car nor house).

My first car was a 72 Datsun 240Z, but at the time I had it I drove a friend's 2002 and loved it. Wanted a BMW until I finally bought my 99 323i about 20 years later. Now I'm in the second week of owning my 2002 530iA. I also work in IT. I'm a Senior Software Engineer and do a lot of consulting and training (OOAD, Java, C++, XML) in St. Louis.

You won't regret getting the Bimmer. It's an awesome car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Cliff,

Sorry to hear about your wrist, but its a long way from your heart! Get tough and fly down a hill just be safer!

I quit smoking to about 11 months ago. Heart attack helped me quit:) Thank God it was more of a warning and no surgery needed. They actually said surgery wouldn't help anyway. Small artery on the right side 90percent clogged and not doing a hell of a lot anyway they left it alone. Just put me on drugs that I hate.

Post some pics when you get your car!!!

Cya!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Welcome Cliff

Great combination choices you made, and nice story. I hope you enjoy what I have been enjoying for the past 5 months.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Welcome Cliff

FlyingToaster said:
Great combination choices you made, and nice story. I hope you enjoy what I have been enjoying for the past 5 months.
I hope you don't mind if I have printed out the pictures of your car and tacked them to the corkboard over my desk? :D :thumb:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Good choice of colors! I know that you will really enjoy the car and turn into a bimmerhead just like the rest of us. Strangely our car historys are similar. Had a Honda Accord, traded for a 328Ci and thought it was the greatest car I ever owned. Kept it for two years and then made a terrible tactical error. I test drove an M3. Please do not make the same mistake. I now own a Topaz/Gray M3 six speed and I KNOW THIS IS THE BEST CAR I EVER HAD. Only flaw: I am kinda poor these days.

Attachments

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Welcome the Board Cliff, I am confident you will love your car (and will be addicted for life).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts