Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 4 series upgraded navigation

The 2016 3 Series LCI gets an upgraded navigation system for 2016, which lead to the obvious question, will the 2014 4 Series also get the new navigation. Bimmerfest.com can now confirm that the 4 series will indeed get the new navigation for 2016.

BMW 3 Series & 4 Series Navigation details for 2016
The optional latest-generation Navigation System boasts quicker start-up, even faster route calculation along with more realistic 3D visualization in cities. The navigation maps are automatically updated free of charge for a period of three years via the embedded SIM cards and the vehicles LTE system. This LTE technology when fitted with the Navigation System enhances USB, Bluetooth and smartphone integration. This greatly improves network coverage and data transmission speeds, especially in rural areas.

ConnectedDrive Services form part of the standard specification of the BMW 3 Series. A SIM card built into the vehicle enables the customer to enjoy optimum connectivity and access to the unrivalled range of services from BMW ConnectedDrive without the need for a smartphone. The available Concierge Service, for example, makes it possible to select points of interest while driving, such as pharmacies, restaurants or hotels, make a reservation if desired, and have them sent straight to the vehicle as a navigation destination together with all the relevant contact data.

Read more about the 2016 3 Series LCI

·
Registered
36 Posts
I called BMW Genius today and they said the 2016 4 series will not have the updated nav.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
I believe them more than any "genius" or CA. :thumbup:
Exactly. The CA doesn't find out information any sooner than the general public. They don't want the dealer reps talking people into waiting for the newer model.

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
Whatever words come out of a CA's mouth are chosen to get you to buy a car now and not later.

Hard stop.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good news of course but but can't help but wonder if Carplay with Apple Maps wouldn't provide better navigation and value? Proprietary NAV systems suddenly seem very out of date to me.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It would be, but BMW (and others) aren't giving up the revenue on a huge option so quickly.

Tim

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
New twist to this topic: I called the Genius number to find out why my GC was being held in production. He wasn't sure, so I then asked him about the nav upgrade. Contrary to what Tim posted he said No, it's the same as the 2015 system and that only the 7 series in the USA will get the new one (along with the LTE connection).
So the plot thickens.......unfortunately.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New twist to this topic: I called the Genius number to find out why my GC was being held in production. He wasn't sure, so I then asked him about the nav upgrade. Contrary to what Tim posted he said No, it's the same as the 2015 system and that only the 7 series in the USA will get the new one (along with the LTE connection).
So the plot thickens.......unfortunately.
Considering it is confirmed the 2016 3 Series LCI is getting a new nav and LTE connection I would say the Genius you talked to is anything but.

The optional latest-generation Navigation System boasts quicker start-up, even faster route calculation along with more realistic 3D visualization in cities. The navigation maps are automatically updated free of charge for a period of three years via the embedded SIM cards and the vehicles LTE system. This LTE technology when fitted with the Navigation System enhances USB, Bluetooth and smartphone integration. This greatly improves network coverage and data transmission speeds, especially in rural areas.

ConnectedDrive Services form part of the standard specification of the BMW 3 Series. A SIM card built into the vehicle enables the customer to enjoy optimum connectivity and access to the unrivalled range of services from BMW ConnectedDrive without the need for a smartphone. The available Concierge Service, for example, makes it possible to select points of interest while driving, such as pharmacies, restaurants or hotels, make a reservation if desired, and have them sent straight to the vehicle as a navigation destination together with all the relevant contact data.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842342

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Tim, you must know I really hope you are right. If you mean the new 340 is getting it, the "Genius" said yes, it is. But not the 4 series. And LTE will only go into the 7 series in the USA. Just reporting what he said.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts