BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to improve the performance of a 2001 330Ci/5spd without spending a fortune on engine modifications. I believe a Conforti Shark Injector may be a good place to start. Based on the Dyno/HP chart on http://www.turnermotorsport.com, it looks like I'll be get about a 3-5hp gain. I've also read it decreases the DBW clutch disengagement-stumble problem.

For those who have tried the Shark Injector, is it worth the money?
 

· •••••••
Joined
·
24,020 Posts
mwallace said:
I'm looking to improve the performance of a 2001 330Ci/5spd without spending a fortune on engine modifications. I believe a Conforti Shark Injector may be a good place to start. Based on the Dyno/HP chart on http://www.turnermotorsport.com, it looks like I'll be get about a 3-5hp gain. I've also read it decreases the DBW clutch disengagement-stumble problem.

For those who have tried the Shark Injector, is it worth the money?
I uninstalled mine after about 9 months. Had pinging/detonation issues the whole time it was in play.

It's worth it for 130mph + Death Valley runs, but that's about it, IMO. I find the stock throttle mapping to be better and more manageable, the stock software manages fuel mixtures better, and the power gains from the Shark were imperceptible.

Not worth it, IMO, unless you have a compelling reason to need 500 more RPM on the rev limiter, and/or removal of the top speed governor.
 

· Ich bin ein Bimmerer
Joined
·
1,260 Posts
Plaz, I take a little vacation every time I see one of your sig pics. Thanks!

The Shark may be good if you are tracking your car and can run really high octane fuel, and reverse the intall for the day-to-day street use. Not sure how many times the Shark can be up and down loaded though. Can't imagine it would be infinite, at least with any sort of stability.
 

· AWD rocks
Joined
·
426 Posts
i bought the dinan software. it did greatly increase the manual trans rev-matching feel by slightly raising the revs. the conforti should also have that benefit.

do a search because a ton of threads were posted about the shark.
 

· Ring Junkie
Joined
·
467 Posts
I've been happy with mine. I really noticed a difference when I installed it almost a year ago. Of course, I Sharked my car at the same time I put in an ECIS intake and UUC under drive pullies and Eisenmann exhaust. I have also left the Shark installed the whole time and have not had any problems with it. Gas mileage has gone down a bit, but who cares about that... :D I've been using about 93 octane gas (98 Euro octane)... I guess my next mod for performance will be a light weight flywheel (once I burn up my clutch :eeps: )...
 

· Banned
Joined
·
18,433 Posts
Dirtboy said:
I've been happy with mine. I really noticed a difference when I installed it almost a year ago. Of course, I Sharked my car at the same time I put in an ECIS intake and UUC under drive pullies and Eisenmann exhaust. I have also left the Shark installed the whole time and have not had any problems with it. Gas mileage has gone down a bit, but who cares about that... :D I've been using about 93 octane gas (98 Euro octane)... I guess my next mod for performance will be a light weight flywheel (once I burn up my clutch :eeps: )...
Are you worried that the flywheel wheel affect a stable idle? Here in Seattle, the emissions testing starts with an idle test. I would love quicker revs, but am concerned about the idle issue.

-Lance
 

· Lap Dog
Joined
·
1,226 Posts
mwallace said:
I'm looking to improve the performance of a 2001 330Ci/5spd without spending a fortune on engine modifications. I believe a Conforti Shark Injector may be a good place to start. Based on the Dyno/HP chart on http://www.turnermotorsport.com, it looks like I'll be get about a 3-5hp gain. I've also read it decreases the DBW clutch disengagement-stumble problem.

For those who have tried the Shark Injector, is it worth the money?
I've had no issues whatsoever with Shark in my car. The improvement in throttle response is dramatic - it truly feels like a go-kart. Going partial to full throttle is instanteneous! That said, the HP gain is minimal and not noticeable in daily driving or on the track. The raised rev limiter is great if you autocross!!
 

· Ring Junkie
Joined
·
467 Posts
misterlance said:
Are you worried that the flywheel wheel affect a stable idle? Here in Seattle, the emissions testing starts with an idle test. I would love quicker revs, but am concerned about the idle issue.

-Lance
Not really. I would do the sprung clutch and replace the tranny fluid with Redline fluid, that seems to cure the rattles that have been associated with light weight flywheels. Plus, I don't have to do any emissions testing here... :D
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top