BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All...

Summary of below: Car opens all the windows and sunroof when I'm not home.

I just purchased an slightly older 328si (2000) and I'm enjoying the car. This weekend I was putting the fluids I like in (mostly amsoil) and I think I have messed something up with the key/car settings.

I was reading the hidden features in part of the wiki and thought cool.. all windows down while holding the door unlock button on the remote. I didn't know it also did the sunroof so I quickly stopped holding the button once I saw the sunroof start (have to fix that interior sunroof shade thing) since I didn't want things to bind. So I proceeded in the car and close everything back up.

Plus I was playing with the dash computer hidden feature stuff a ton lol

anyway.. I park and arm the car for the night. Then when I went out there the next day.. (after a ton of rain) I found out all my windows and sunroof were back open (luckily it looks like they opened up after the rain). Now I know for sure I didn't part the car in that condition. I closed everything back up and locked the car once again. Checked on it a few hours later and everything seemed fine. Went to work today and when I got home.. guess what.. all the windows and sunroof were back open again.

I drove it around, tried resetting the auto up window thing.. etc. and one thing interesting now is if I arm the car from the remote, wait a minute, and then hit the unlock button just once, it will open all the windows and sunroof as if I was holding the button down for the second time. It's like's trying to be nice and remember I like everything open with my key. (I only have one key so I can't test this theory). One thing I found is if I stop the operation by jumping in the car quick and hitting the sunroof switch, I can no longer close the windows for a period of time (seemed okay after 3/4 mins.)

any thoughts what is going on? I'm even worried now since it's raining out there and the car will decide to open up on its own.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hello All...

Summary of below: Car opens all the windows and sunroof when I'm not home.

I just purchased an slightly older 328si (2000) and I'm enjoying the car. This weekend I was putting the fluids I like in (mostly amsoil) and I think I have messed something up with the key/car settings.

I was reading the hidden features in part of the wiki and thought cool.. all windows down while holding the door unlock button on the remote. I didn't know it also did the sunroof so I quickly stopped holding the button once I saw the sunroof start (have to fix that interior sunroof shade thing) since I didn't want things to bind. So I proceeded in the car and close everything back up.

Plus I was playing with the dash computer hidden feature stuff a ton lol

anyway.. I park and arm the car for the night. Then when I went out there the next day.. (after a ton of rain) I found out all my windows and sunroof were back open (luckily it looks like they opened up after the rain). Now I know for sure I didn't part the car in that condition. I closed everything back up and locked the car once again. Checked on it a few hours later and everything seemed fine. Went to work today and when I got home.. guess what.. all the windows and sunroof were back open again.

I drove it around, tried resetting the auto up window thing.. etc. and one thing interesting now is if I arm the car from the remote, wait a minute, and then hit the unlock button just once, it will open all the windows and sunroof as if I was holding the button down for the second time. It's like's trying to be nice and remember I like everything open with my key. (I only have one key so I can't test this theory). One thing I found is if I stop the operation by jumping in the car quick and hitting the sunroof switch, I can no longer close the windows for a period of time (seemed okay after 3/4 mins.)

any thoughts what is going on? I'm even worried now since it's raining out there and the car will decide to open up on its own.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.
My first inclination is that the key unlock button is internally sticking so that the fob is constantly sending the unlock signal. When you went to work and returned to find the car open, had the key been in close proximity to the vehicle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm might of been.. I actually had the key with me in the other car.. so maybe when I came home from work and parked about 30 yards away it could of triggered. you would think it would flash the activity light if stuck tho, right?

It's something I did since the guy I bought it from never had an issue and I had it for 3 weeks before I was playing with that feature and no issues. hmmm your theory might be good tho, in that button was never held down for long (never used the feature, and now it sticking). will try to watch it (activity light).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts