BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a single male , 38 yr old, no kids, recently divorced. Healthy financial situation. Rent my house. Have sufficient cash balance.

I have been attracted to 4 cars:

2013 BMW 328I (purchase) or 2016 BMW 328I (lease)

2013 BMW X5 35d

2014 Audi Q5 TDI

2013 Audi Q5 3.0T

All have mileages in the range of 30-40K

My lifestyle right now is, I fly a lot for work and would essentially be using my car only on the weekends (this could be short term, but will likely change in a couple of years). Any pointers which one of these I go for?

My last car was camry that I used for 11 yrs before it was totaled. I would not prefer to change my car often based on the past. Since I lost my car, I have been much of a homebody on the weekends and not really active. I love traveling. I have no pets or companions, pretty much myself at the moment. Any pointers on what should I buy , best value for money would be great.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Check national sales on the 5 series. You probably can find even a lower mileage one, for about the price of the 3 series. The comfort and standard options of the five series make it a better buy IMO. Make sure you go with certified preowned (CPO) so you have good warranty on anything that you do. Since you say you frequently fly. You might have enough miles, to fly into a dealer somewhere in the states. Normally they'll pick you up at the airport. You can drive it home. You can negotiate the price on a CPO vehicle. They're not written in stone. Auto trader, and BMW USA are good places to start. Both will list CPO vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you . Thought about 5 series, but IMO, same engine as 3 series + more weight on the vehicle. So perhaps not same driving pleasure. Test drove 528i, 328i, X5, Merc E 350, Audi Q5 2.0. Loved the drive of 328i over 528i, 528i over e class. Loved the interior of Q5 but not as much of a drive, perhaps it was 2.0 thats why. liked the exterior of X5 over Q5.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thank you . Thought about 5 series, but IMO, same engine as 3 series + more weight on the vehicle. So perhaps not same driving pleasure. Test drove 528i, 328i, X5, Merc E 350, Audi Q5 2.0. Loved the drive of 328i over 528i, 528i over e class. Loved the interior of Q5 but not as much of a drive, perhaps it was 2.0 thats why. liked the exterior of X5 over Q5.
I agree with you to an extent. But you need to drive a 5er with the 6 or 8 cylinder and you'll see the difference. Since you're only driving it on the weekends, I don't think the extra loss of gas mileage should be that important to you. Really pretty negligible if you keep your foot out of it most of the time. But the power will be there when you do want to slam on it a little bit.

·
Registered Lunatic
971 Posts
If it were me, I'd be looking at an M series sedan...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
If your primary driving is around town I would not recommend a BMW V8. The 6 is silky smooth but the V8 is a brut. The 8 is just too much for every day driving.

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
What type of activities would you/were you doing? IOW, how much room for gear do you need and what type of terrain would you be taking your car?

Considering you are coming from a Toyota Camry I would think the 3 series will feel a bit on the small side, but a whole lot more fun to drive. I, like others already above, would urge you to investigate the I6 engine (335 model)...from my experience having owned a '93 and '99 (both 5 series) I never had a major problem with the I6 engines one went 205k miles, the other 188k miles before selling them.

Now, if there is a space requirement (and if it were me), I would go with a wagon over a SUV. Unfortunately BMW doesn't sell the 5 series wagon anymore and the 3 series only comes with the 4 banger so I would suggest investigating Audi on that front if you are set on model year cars 2013+. But if mileage is not a huge concern, I would buy a 5 series wagon (if you can find one)...they stopped importing them here in 2010.

Whatever you do, locate a BMW independent mechanic so you can have them do a pre-purchase inspection before you buy. Maintenance costs will be more than a Camry and you don't want to start off your BMW ownership with issues.

·
Registered
323 Posts
2013 BMW 328I (purchase) YES

2016 BMW 328I (lease) No you keep cars more than for a short period

see comment from another user about SUVs

2013 BMW X5 35d

2014 Audi Q5 TDI

2013 Audi Q5 3.0T

·
gdyear78
99 Posts
Another suggestion, depending on where you live, I'd recommend the 2 series. I am around the same age, purchased a 228xi convertible through ED program and love it. If you don't need awd you save a few grand and could get manual rwd.

I need awd in New England, consider leasing a new 230 (or 228 if you can find) convertible and enjoy what little driving you do on the weekends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts