BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Addicted
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 330Ci with Sport Pkg and am thinking of doing a couple mods to become more competitive at auto-x. Besides taking driving classes, I'm considering auto-x tires & wheels and replacing the sways. Suggestions???? TIA

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
If you are planning on running with the CCA, a set of sways and track tires will bump you up a class. With the SCCA, you can only change the front roll bar, but can run track tires.

You might want to consider a Coilover kit or Dinan suspension to be really competetive against the guys in AA.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
mdstx330ci said:
I have a 330Ci with Sport Pkg and am thinking of doing a couple mods to become more competitive at auto-x. Besides taking driving classes, I'm considering auto-x tires & wheels and replacing the sways. Suggestions???? TIA
I'm not sure that sways will really help with your run times, although they should definately make the car feel better to you...which could lead to better times. Sticky tires should help your times, but they won't teach you anything. You may be better off running the rest of the year on your current tires (if they aren't already worn out) and then using better tires next season. I've got skinny Goodyear RS-A M+S rated all seasons and they suck. I want S-03 or the like, but have decided to wait until next year before I do it. I am convinced that I can shave a lot of time by improving the driver on the RS-As. Going to S-03s would shave time too, but it will mask my trouble areas for a longer period of time.

·
Addicted
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nate328Ci said:
If you are planning on running with the CCA, a set of sways and track tires will bump you up a class. With the SCCA, you can only change the front roll bar, but can run track tires.

You might want to consider a Coilover kit or Dinan suspension to be really competetive against the guys in AA.
Noticed you were in Houston. Don't recall having seen your car at recent auto-x events. Do you auto-x often? Have you done any mods?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I was told once that the stock suspension is pretty maxed out and that sways only add stress to the current setup which is already at its limits of performance. Anybody agree?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
RChoudry said:
I was told once that the stock suspension is pretty maxed out and that sways only add stress to the current setup which is already at its limits of performance. Anybody agree?
No, I do not agree.

The M3 is an E46 platform car, and it has a more capable suspension and larger sways. There are E46 touring cars that have much higher performance levels than our cars :dunno:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Rules and car classifications aside, I definitely recommend getting anti-roll bars over R-compound tires. While either mod will improve your lap times, R tires has the unwanted effect of masking your errors (for a novice auto-x'er).

Keeping the body roll in check will allow your street tires to maintain a better contact patch during hard cornering. And with the street tires' progressive characteristic at their traction limit, you will learn to be smooth and anticipate each turn better. When you become comfortable w/ this setup, give R-compounds a try, and you shall be impressed by your lap times.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sways will give you a great reward for little cost. I put RD sways on my 330i and love them. Easy to install and adjust (yourself). Immediate results decreasing body roll and little if any noticable affect on ride quality.

I do track my car, however body roll on day to day driving was my motivation

·
Registered
170 Posts
Another GREAT benefit of aftermarket sways or anti-roll bars such as the UUCs and RDs in addition to reducing body roll, is the ability to fine tune the car's oversteer/understeer characteristics.

Just dial in some oversteer and rotate that rear end around :D

You really can't go wrong with either, but I would recommend the UUCs :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.